I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Incontinence…how long does this go on for?

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 10:16

Hey everyone, your experience would be appreciated please.

steve had catheter out three weeks ago (it was in for a month)….no control at all and that remains the case. We know to a case of ‘how long is a piece of string’…but we we wondering about typical timescales of when people started to get some control at all and more importantly, what are the first signs, do the drips just become less frequent? Or do you get periods when there are no drips? I know we have to be patient but it’s difficult when you are trying to plan ahead for getting on with life! 

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 13:57

Hi Debbie.

I was gushing during the day for at least three months, but weirdly dry overnight??

My CNS told me it would take six months to be back in control. It took me seven.

Edited by member 02 Mar 2024 at 14:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 15:55

Hi Debbie. Everyone is different - some are dry immediately others take time and may never get dry. I’m nearly 11 months post op. First few weeks were awful - I could not as they say hold water and went through 9/10 pads a day often soaking through them. However after about 3/4 weeks things improved in steps. I’m now on 1 pad a day and just moved to level 2. Much improved but still need one as some days I’m quite dry others a bit wetter with no pattern. It doesn’t ruin my life and the only change I have made is I no longer use the communal changing rooms at the gym. Good luck and remember keep squeezing. 

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 20:56
Hi DJC44 keep doing the kegels, avoid caffeine and alcohol, ask for a referral to the incontinence nurse. I did all that and after about 3 months I went to see the nurse. She didn't do anything but after that I got my continence back. Although I was still wearing pads a year later if I was attending work meetings (just in case).

Didn't have any further issues until I got a bit pie eyed 2 years later, completely p****d myself while out with a new girlfriend, didn't do any lasting damage as we have been married for 5 years now! Even now 8 and a half years after the op, I can still get the odd dribble if I twist or lift things at a funny angle.

So the answer is you can never be completely blase but you should be safe in public after 2 years so long as you don't get smashed!

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 10:16

Hey everyone, your experience would be appreciated please.

steve had catheter out three weeks ago (it was in for a month)….no control at all and that remains the case. We know to a case of ‘how long is a piece of string’…but we we wondering about typical timescales of when people started to get some control at all and more importantly, what are the first signs, do the drips just become less frequent? Or do you get periods when there are no drips? I know we have to be patient but it’s difficult when you are trying to plan ahead for getting on with life! 

User
Posted 03 Mar 2024 at 19:19

Hi DJC44,

As you have acknowledged, experiences of incontinence vary widely.  Some people are dry almost immediately.

I had really bad incontinence immediately after catheter was removed - used about 8 pads a day for the first 3-4 months.  I'm now 20 months post surgery and use 2-3 pads per day on average.  However, I was pretty dry lying down at night from the beginning.  My Urologist told me that this was a good sign, as it implied that the problem was 'mechanical' and should improve with the Kegel exercises.  He also referred me to the Pelvic Floor Physiotherapist to check that I was doing the exercises correctly.  (I was, but they reported that my muscles were weak).  It might be worth your while to ask for such a referral if the Urologist hasn't already done so.  (Like everything else, there is a waiting list).

I have been doing Kegel exercises throughout and added in Pilates and Yoga, which I attribute to the improvement as much as the Kegels.  I also go for walks about 3-4 times per week.  It is very difficult to figure out what makes it worse.  I can have a few good days when I think I'm improving, followed by a couple of bad days, when I seem to be standing still.  I've cut out all the obvious things - e.g., caffeine, carbonated drinks, citrus drinks, long drinks (e.g. pints of anything!).  

I try to get on with life. I always have a spare pad with me whenever I'm out and about, and it doesn't stop me doing most things (except swimming and using shared changing rooms).

Hopefully, you will improve with time. 

Good luck.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 10:21

Hi DJC44

I am 28 months post op. After 3 months I was seriously depressed and wondering if I would ever stop peeing myself. It was only at 5/6 months that I started to notice serious improvement. It had been creeping up on me slowly. After 12 months I was using just one Tena level 1 pad daily. Now, I am perhaps 99% dry. I don't normally wear a pad at home unless I am doing strenuous activity and when I go out I wear a level 0 or perhaps a level 1 pad. (I find them more comfortable as I don't need to worry so much about positioning. Level 0 pads are very small). But this is mainly  for confidence. Strangely, I don't think I drip at all when wearing a pad. Perhaps that is because the Old Chap is nice and snug. Like some others, I have been dry at night from the start. Gravity? 

For those of us who were not lucky enough to be dry from the start, pelvic floor exercises and patience are the order of the day. 

Ref. drinks. I enjoy my morning cup of coffee, a pint of real ale or a glass of red wine (perhaps two) when I go out with no ill effects. But white wine and spirits are definitely off limits. 

Good luck on your journey, 

Peter

User
Posted 08 Mar 2024 at 16:33
If anyone is suffering more than 1 pad per day after 6 months then I highly recommend perineal physiotherapy - I get a weekly session here in France and I'm sure something similar must be available on the NHS.

It involves a probe being inserted into the rectum which then makes the muscles contract with electrical pulses. After 15 minutes it switches to bio feedback where you have to tighten the muscles to keep a pointer on an ipad screen in a band. It works!!

User
Posted 03 Mar 2024 at 20:24

Ah Jedsee, so sad that you don't feel you can go swimming - there are excellent swim trunks out there made for exactly this situation and which are unnoticeable to other pool users.

https://www.dorset-nursing.co.uk/incontinence-care/swimwear-for-incontinence/ 

https://seenin.co.uk/product-category/adults/incontinence-swimwear-adults/ 

https://www.fledglings.org.uk/products/kes-vir-mens-incontinence-swim-shorts 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 11:18

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Ah Jedsee, so sad that you don't feel you can go swimming - there are excellent swim trunks out there made for exactly this situation and which are unnoticeable to other pool users.

Thanks from us for that too Lyn….really useful, we are off to Centerparcs with family this week but Steve feels too soon for going in water but I will buy some of these if needed for our holiday in May.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 13:57

Hi Debbie.

I was gushing during the day for at least three months, but weirdly dry overnight??

My CNS told me it would take six months to be back in control. It took me seven.

Edited by member 02 Mar 2024 at 14:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 15:55

Hi Debbie. Everyone is different - some are dry immediately others take time and may never get dry. I’m nearly 11 months post op. First few weeks were awful - I could not as they say hold water and went through 9/10 pads a day often soaking through them. However after about 3/4 weeks things improved in steps. I’m now on 1 pad a day and just moved to level 2. Much improved but still need one as some days I’m quite dry others a bit wetter with no pattern. It doesn’t ruin my life and the only change I have made is I no longer use the communal changing rooms at the gym. Good luck and remember keep squeezing. 

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 20:56
Hi DJC44 keep doing the kegels, avoid caffeine and alcohol, ask for a referral to the incontinence nurse. I did all that and after about 3 months I went to see the nurse. She didn't do anything but after that I got my continence back. Although I was still wearing pads a year later if I was attending work meetings (just in case).

Didn't have any further issues until I got a bit pie eyed 2 years later, completely p****d myself while out with a new girlfriend, didn't do any lasting damage as we have been married for 5 years now! Even now 8 and a half years after the op, I can still get the odd dribble if I twist or lift things at a funny angle.

So the answer is you can never be completely blase but you should be safe in public after 2 years so long as you don't get smashed!

User
Posted 03 Mar 2024 at 19:19

Hi DJC44,

As you have acknowledged, experiences of incontinence vary widely.  Some people are dry almost immediately.

I had really bad incontinence immediately after catheter was removed - used about 8 pads a day for the first 3-4 months.  I'm now 20 months post surgery and use 2-3 pads per day on average.  However, I was pretty dry lying down at night from the beginning.  My Urologist told me that this was a good sign, as it implied that the problem was 'mechanical' and should improve with the Kegel exercises.  He also referred me to the Pelvic Floor Physiotherapist to check that I was doing the exercises correctly.  (I was, but they reported that my muscles were weak).  It might be worth your while to ask for such a referral if the Urologist hasn't already done so.  (Like everything else, there is a waiting list).

I have been doing Kegel exercises throughout and added in Pilates and Yoga, which I attribute to the improvement as much as the Kegels.  I also go for walks about 3-4 times per week.  It is very difficult to figure out what makes it worse.  I can have a few good days when I think I'm improving, followed by a couple of bad days, when I seem to be standing still.  I've cut out all the obvious things - e.g., caffeine, carbonated drinks, citrus drinks, long drinks (e.g. pints of anything!).  

I try to get on with life. I always have a spare pad with me whenever I'm out and about, and it doesn't stop me doing most things (except swimming and using shared changing rooms).

Hopefully, you will improve with time. 

Good luck.

User
Posted 03 Mar 2024 at 20:24

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 10:21

Hi DJC44

I am 28 months post op. After 3 months I was seriously depressed and wondering if I would ever stop peeing myself. It was only at 5/6 months that I started to notice serious improvement. It had been creeping up on me slowly. After 12 months I was using just one Tena level 1 pad daily. Now, I am perhaps 99% dry. I don't normally wear a pad at home unless I am doing strenuous activity and when I go out I wear a level 0 or perhaps a level 1 pad. (I find them more comfortable as I don't need to worry so much about positioning. Level 0 pads are very small). But this is mainly  for confidence. Strangely, I don't think I drip at all when wearing a pad. Perhaps that is because the Old Chap is nice and snug. Like some others, I have been dry at night from the start. Gravity? 

For those of us who were not lucky enough to be dry from the start, pelvic floor exercises and patience are the order of the day. 

Ref. drinks. I enjoy my morning cup of coffee, a pint of real ale or a glass of red wine (perhaps two) when I go out with no ill effects. But white wine and spirits are definitely off limits. 

Good luck on your journey, 

Peter

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 11:18

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks from us for that too Lyn….really useful, we are off to Centerparcs with family this week but Steve feels too soon for going in water but I will buy some of these if needed for our holiday in May.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 18:57

Many thanks DCJ24 for the swimming trunks recommendation.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 20:34
🤔😂

User
Posted 08 Mar 2024 at 15:43

Seems guys' experience of post op  incontinence ranges from total loss of control to a few lucky chaps who are completely dry after catheter removal. 

I'm just over 4 weeks post op. I have been completely dry at night since catheter removal. For me it seems to be a gravity and motion induced issue. Walking I leak a fair bit, getting up, bending down etc. Apart from just 'leaking' small amounts I can stop any other more major 'squirts' so have some degree of control. Also does seem to get worse as the day goes on.

Overall I'd say there is a slow improvement but it's not linear - one day I think I've turned a corner next it's worse again.

Got to just believe it will slowly improve - the stats and anecdotal comments on this forum indicate a high chance of recovery. 

User
Posted 08 Mar 2024 at 16:33
If anyone is suffering more than 1 pad per day after 6 months then I highly recommend perineal physiotherapy - I get a weekly session here in France and I'm sure something similar must be available on the NHS.

It involves a probe being inserted into the rectum which then makes the muscles contract with electrical pulses. After 15 minutes it switches to bio feedback where you have to tighten the muscles to keep a pointer on an ipad screen in a band. It works!!