I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sample Keto choices ?

User
Posted 11 Mar 2024 at 13:14

I was just diagnosed with high risk Prostate Cancer (Gleason 8) and will start ADT very soon, and Brachytherapy right after.

I want to eat low carb (Keto) But how with no red meats and very limited fats? (Not even MCT anymore)

Any suggestions on keto eating to avoid weight gain, and cause my diabetes to increase?

THX

User
Posted 11 Mar 2024 at 15:27

I know next to nothing about Keto diet and didn't specifically avoid carbs, but while on hormone therapy I did find I had to bump up protein consumption to a higher percentage of diet in order to try and reduce rate of muscle loss. (Body composition scales are very useful for keeping a check on your fat, muscle, and other body composition.) I also avoid red meat, at least in food I prepare for myself - I'll have it occasionally if it's served to me as a guest. Avoiding red meat is not new - I've been doing that for decades.

My protein consumption consists mainly of chicken and fish (which is mainly salmon or other fish in the SMASH oily fish acronym - I don't enjoy non-oily fish such as cod). I also like and consume a little soya in the form of beans and tofu (although soya not a great idea during/after radiotherapy as it can be gassy). Milk on breakfast cereal too, and some cheese.

Edited by member 11 Mar 2024 at 15:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 06:50
Why avoid red meat? The same people who tell you to avoid it also said keto was harmful!
User
Posted 13 Mar 2024 at 20:36

Hope this post is acceptable. I use The Diabetes Weight loss Cookbook by Katie & Giancarlo Caldesi.I found it very useful. As usual the mantra should be everything in moderation. You will learn to love cauliflower and salmon!

Rgds

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Mar 2024 at 15:27

I know next to nothing about Keto diet and didn't specifically avoid carbs, but while on hormone therapy I did find I had to bump up protein consumption to a higher percentage of diet in order to try and reduce rate of muscle loss. (Body composition scales are very useful for keeping a check on your fat, muscle, and other body composition.) I also avoid red meat, at least in food I prepare for myself - I'll have it occasionally if it's served to me as a guest. Avoiding red meat is not new - I've been doing that for decades.

My protein consumption consists mainly of chicken and fish (which is mainly salmon or other fish in the SMASH oily fish acronym - I don't enjoy non-oily fish such as cod). I also like and consume a little soya in the form of beans and tofu (although soya not a great idea during/after radiotherapy as it can be gassy). Milk on breakfast cereal too, and some cheese.

Edited by member 11 Mar 2024 at 15:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 06:50
Why avoid red meat? The same people who tell you to avoid it also said keto was harmful!
User
Posted 13 Mar 2024 at 20:36

Hope this post is acceptable. I use The Diabetes Weight loss Cookbook by Katie & Giancarlo Caldesi.I found it very useful. As usual the mantra should be everything in moderation. You will learn to love cauliflower and salmon!

Rgds

Dave