Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Should I have PSA test

User
Posted 11 Mar 2024 at 18:32

Evening all.

The urge to pee seems to have increased.  I don't have to pee and can easily go 4 hours between.  Stopped having late night drinks so no peeing through the night. No other signs apart from having to wait a minute to finish the last few dribbles. Strange thing is that when sat or laying down the feeling that I need a pee goes.

I went to my GP saw a nurse practitioner and he said no need for a PSA as no real symptoms.  I had done lots of reading on DR Google and more or less insisted on the PSA test. 

This is due in the mornings at 8am and my dilemma is the should I or shouldn't I have the test or wait and see if anything else develops.  I read about the inaccuracies of the tests etc and false negatives etc.  I am anxious about the next lots of tests etc.  

Apologies if I look like a wet lettuce as I know a lot of people on here are going through serious issues.

Steve

User
Posted 11 Mar 2024 at 23:57

Hi Steve,

Firstly PCa does not always manifest itself by symptoms at an early stage, so you are not wet to pose the question. It comes down to personal choice having considered the arguments for and against. The PSA test should be done in conjunction with a digital rear examination (Finger up your bum to feel and access size and smoothness of the Prostate). although many GP's are not good at it. This is used as a possible indication of whether further tests are are warranted but having said that it is still possible that a man might have PCa even though there is not a strong indication that he might have it. There are for instance some types of PCa that don't exhibit high numbers. So in many cases a man might go on to have other tests, usually MRI and largely dependent on what information this adds possibly a biopsy to get an accurate diagnosis. So the fairly inexpensive PSA blood test is a preliminary test that could lead to a man going on to have treatment. The argument for doing this is that it could lead to beneficial treatment. The argument against is that if positively diagnosed a man may have treatment that he never needed or prematurely because in many cases he might have lived for years without needing it. There is always the likely case that once men have been diagnosed with pca they will want the cancer cut out or treated immediately regardless of the potential harms and side effects that treatment can cause. So it is thought that many men suffer harms from overtreatment. But if you don't have the PSA test you may miss your chance of an early diagnosis.

A strong argument may be made for men to be tested when they are 50 or even earlier if they are afrocarribean or have a family history of PCa. This enables men to consider where they are in the light of a positive diagnosi. Elevated PSA can be caused for other reasons such as a UTI or very enlarged Prostate or over stimulation before a PSA test.

Edited by member 12 Mar 2024 at 00:13  | Reason: spelling

Barry
User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 09:05

There's a general principle in looking after your heath, "Know your numbers".

This is:
• Know your BMI
• Know your blood pressure
• Know your blood glucose
• Know your cholesterol
• Know your PSA (for men).

If you know your numbers, you will be aware of any which are concerning and can decide take action to swerve the complications they will cause (or not, as you prefer).

If you don't know your numbers, you will be blissfully unaware until something happens which may then not be curable or fully recoverable, such as a stroke, heart attack, peripheral neuropathy, metastatic prostate cancer, and an ongoing poorer quality of life which was avoidable.

Which one better matches your life choices?

Edited by member 12 Mar 2024 at 09:21  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Mar 2024 at 23:57

Hi Steve,

Firstly PCa does not always manifest itself by symptoms at an early stage, so you are not wet to pose the question. It comes down to personal choice having considered the arguments for and against. The PSA test should be done in conjunction with a digital rear examination (Finger up your bum to feel and access size and smoothness of the Prostate). although many GP's are not good at it. This is used as a possible indication of whether further tests are are warranted but having said that it is still possible that a man might have PCa even though there is not a strong indication that he might have it. There are for instance some types of PCa that don't exhibit high numbers. So in many cases a man might go on to have other tests, usually MRI and largely dependent on what information this adds possibly a biopsy to get an accurate diagnosis. So the fairly inexpensive PSA blood test is a preliminary test that could lead to a man going on to have treatment. The argument for doing this is that it could lead to beneficial treatment. The argument against is that if positively diagnosed a man may have treatment that he never needed or prematurely because in many cases he might have lived for years without needing it. There is always the likely case that once men have been diagnosed with pca they will want the cancer cut out or treated immediately regardless of the potential harms and side effects that treatment can cause. So it is thought that many men suffer harms from overtreatment. But if you don't have the PSA test you may miss your chance of an early diagnosis.

A strong argument may be made for men to be tested when they are 50 or even earlier if they are afrocarribean or have a family history of PCa. This enables men to consider where they are in the light of a positive diagnosi. Elevated PSA can be caused for other reasons such as a UTI or very enlarged Prostate or over stimulation before a PSA test.

Edited by member 12 Mar 2024 at 00:13  | Reason: spelling

Barry
User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 00:23

Hi, welcome to the forum

Have you read this?

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/prostate-tests/psa-blood-test

It may help you decide.

All the best.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 08:44

Insist on PSA at least this will now give you a baseline, even if your symptoms clear up. Later than they would have a past PSA to compare to if symptoms return whether in 6 months or a year.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 08:55

I think you should have your PSA checked now and every year or so. Keep an eye on the rate of rise even if it is 'within your age range'. This could be significant in detecting the cancer in early stages. This is how my cancer was detected over 12 years ago. It was well contained and I had a successful surgery.

Edited by member 12 Mar 2024 at 08:57  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 09:05

There's a general principle in looking after your heath, "Know your numbers".

This is:
• Know your BMI
• Know your blood pressure
• Know your blood glucose
• Know your cholesterol
• Know your PSA (for men).

If you know your numbers, you will be aware of any which are concerning and can decide take action to swerve the complications they will cause (or not, as you prefer).

If you don't know your numbers, you will be blissfully unaware until something happens which may then not be curable or fully recoverable, such as a stroke, heart attack, peripheral neuropathy, metastatic prostate cancer, and an ongoing poorer quality of life which was avoidable.

Which one better matches your life choices?

Edited by member 12 Mar 2024 at 09:21  | Reason: Not specified