I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pacey runner slowed by 9 weeks of hormones

User
Posted 14 Mar 2024 at 23:54

Anyone else experienced this? Be keen to hear thoughts. Hopefully there are some runners on here. I was running 3 times a week nothing crazy just the odd 10k and 5 k but a good 7.40pace. Pace within 9 weeks on hormones now around 8.30- feels like running with ankle weights on! I keep going but have lost that 5th gear- hopefully temporarily. Has anyone tried any supplements pre running to keep the pace up? 

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 11:13

Hi Adrian,

that’s a really good effort with the press ups! Impressed. Yes that pace is minute miles. If I train more I can go faster- best ParkRun 5k is 20mins 12 with a breeze behind me! Difficult to keep the pace better with family, work etc but 7.40 still resets me and keeps me sharp. 

Sorry to hear the arthritis has limited your exercise. I miss the exercise if I don’t keep it up which is why the hormones impacting my running is impacting me so much. That said I know it’s extending my life so what the hell right!

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 11:18

Hi Decho,

That’s a really good point. I’ve only been on the stuff 9 weeks and you give a clearer picture of what it’s like to be on it longer term. 

I think reframing my running goals from time taken to complete to just completing a given distance is the way I’ll probably have to settle.

Ive entered a local 10k I’ve done loads of times before towards the back end of the chemo and I think just completing it is now the goal rather than trying to come near a PB. 

So many facets to this treatment malarkey impacting on different parts of life! 

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 11:46

Accepting that this is Fitnessv2.0 is the way to go.  It has taken me a while to accept the fact that I've gone from winning Age group competitions to not being able to even think about competing, and dropping from my club A rides to the C group. Ego is a hard thing to lose...

I need to get back on the weights as I can barely do a push up now. I've started on Yoga which has really helped as I can see the improvement already, which kind of offsets the decrease in the cardio-vascular side.  I did a google search on Kevin Webber - now I feel so inadequate.

Good luck for the rest of the journey!!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 05:25

Is your 7.40 min, pace per mile?

Until I was in my early 50's I was running 5 miles everyday at a slightly faster pace than that and religiously did 5 x100 sets of pressups every day. The onset of arthritis stopped me in my tracks. I missed exercise and the enormous buzz it used to give me.

Now at only 67 years, I struggle to walk a couple of miles. 🙂

From what I've read on here Darren, HT does physically weaken you, which would explain your drop in performance. I'm sure someone will pop along and add a more scientific post.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 08:17

Hi Darren,

Sorry to hear this but if you’ve followed my story you can see what HT has done to me, and you’re only 9 weeks in. Before this treatment I was very active and reasonable fit…although I didn’t run, I walked a lot, swam, went to the gym and cycled. Whilst I can still do these, there is no way I can do the same as before.

What I would say is to just be careful and not overdo it, unfortunately you have to accept when you’re on this treatment you just DONT have the same amount of stamina or strength  as before, and it has been suggested to me that I have maybe been overdoing it and that is what is causing all my joint pain.

I don’t think there is enough support for those of us on HT, and conflicting advice certainly doesn’t help.

Good luck with your treatment.

Derek

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 08:44

I'm afraid that this is one of the side effects of Hormone treatment - I am on Zolodex and daily Aberaterone.  I used to do a lot of triathlons and started on HT in June 2022, and for the first few weeks my performance was OK. But after a 2 or 3 months I was noticeably slower at running and could not maintain power levels on my bike. Stamina was also much poorer, not helped by the weight gain of around 5-6kgs.  As an example I went from running around 21mins for 5K in March 2022 to around 28-29 minutes now (I haven't dared race for a year as I don't want to know how slow I've got!!). My bike FTP has gone down from 275watts down to around 200watts in the same time.

The first 12-15 months was the worst as the decline was pretty rapid - I now seem to have stabilised in terms of speed on the run and bike so hopefully it will not get any worse.  FYI, I did complete the London Marathon in April 2023, although it was a run/walk all the way.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 11:13

Hi Adrian,

that’s a really good effort with the press ups! Impressed. Yes that pace is minute miles. If I train more I can go faster- best ParkRun 5k is 20mins 12 with a breeze behind me! Difficult to keep the pace better with family, work etc but 7.40 still resets me and keeps me sharp. 

Sorry to hear the arthritis has limited your exercise. I miss the exercise if I don’t keep it up which is why the hormones impacting my running is impacting me so much. That said I know it’s extending my life so what the hell right!

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 11:18

Hi Decho,

That’s a really good point. I’ve only been on the stuff 9 weeks and you give a clearer picture of what it’s like to be on it longer term. 

I think reframing my running goals from time taken to complete to just completing a given distance is the way I’ll probably have to settle.

Ive entered a local 10k I’ve done loads of times before towards the back end of the chemo and I think just completing it is now the goal rather than trying to come near a PB. 

So many facets to this treatment malarkey impacting on different parts of life! 

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 11:26

i have always run, varying between the odd half/marathon and three 5ks  a week. Diagnosis and hormone therapy really knocked me, and I got injured around the same time. I kind of resigned myself to just doing my 5ks at most and nothing more, but things settled down and I managed a half marathon last week. I did it in 1 hour 44 minutes, with my pb from around 8 or 9 years ago being  1 hour 35 minutes, so not too much of a drop off if you take account of the fact I am a fair bit older now. I am 15 months into zoladex plus appalutamide. 
I have noticed from blood tests that my heamoglobin and red blood cells are down, which I think is normal on hormone therapy. I wonder if this plays a part in our decreased performance. As lots of people say, I think it becomes more about enjoying being out there and less about the times as we get older. Going on hormone therapy brings that into sharper focus. 

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 11:27

Hi UKUSCH,

Great to hear you completed the London Marathon during this. I’ve read about Kevin Weber and his exploits. My wife is reading his book and it is quite inspiring.

Good to hear you’ve had a kind of plateauing of your fatigue and the running times have settled. 

I ran an hour with the wife this morning before chemo this PM and cardiovascularly I’m fine- breathing fine on steep hills- just nothing in the legs! Such a strange feeling. The minds willing but the legs, well just not having it! 

I’m on Prostap after the month on Bical. I think I may get started on a 2nd gen after my chemo and radio. I haven’t noticed weight gain but subtle muscle loss definitely. I built a Covid garage gym like many others and used to bench 60 as a warm up- it’s a real effort now. Tennis wise  I’ve a friendly rivalry with a neighbour and he knows my cancer back story (nobody else at my club does). He’s mentioned how weak my serve has become. Balls I used to sprint to I kind of leave now! 

Well will keep up all the fitness as long as I can and just accept that this is fitness V2.0! Thanks for the advice 

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 11:37

Hi P822,

That's a very impressive half marathon time considering you're on the treatment.  I went from 1:35 for a half in Feb 2022 (same month I got my PSA result of 75 so couple of months before treatment), to 2:02 in Feb 2023 on the same course and same conditions.  Pretty much accepted that the new version of me is going to have to settle for completing not competing, and the fact that I'm still fitter than most 62 year olds.

I do need to get doing some weights though as my muscle mass has totally gone and turned into a little fat belly!!

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 11:43

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

i have always run, varying between the odd half/marathon and three 5ks  a week. Diagnosis and hormone therapy really knocked me, and I got injured around the same time. I kind of resigned myself to just doing my 5ks at most and nothing more, but things settled down and I managed a half marathon last week. I did it in 1 hour 44 minutes, with my pb from around 8 or 9 years ago being  1 hour 35 minutes, so not too much of a drop off if you take account of the fact I am a fair bit older now. I am 15 months into zoladex plus appalutamide. 
I have noticed from blood tests that my heamoglobin and red blood cells are down, which I think is normal on hormone therapy. I wonder if this plays a part in our decreased performance. As lots of people say, I think it becomes more about enjoying being out there and less about the times as we get older. Going on hormone therapy brings that into sharper focus. 

Hi P822,

I hadn’t even factored in the decreased bloods to the fatigue but yes I can see how that would reduce oxygen to the working muscles especially in the extremities like the legs. 

Great effort on the half marathon by the way and yes not a million miles away from your PB. Very respectable. 

You’re quite right about the just being outside and enjoying it as well rather than the times. I think the fact any of us are keeping up running is a testament to the refusal to lay down and let this thing control us to much. Plus it really counters some of the more negative mental health aspects of this whole thing. 

Onwards and upwards! 

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 11:46

Accepting that this is Fitnessv2.0 is the way to go.  It has taken me a while to accept the fact that I've gone from winning Age group competitions to not being able to even think about competing, and dropping from my club A rides to the C group. Ego is a hard thing to lose...

I need to get back on the weights as I can barely do a push up now. I've started on Yoga which has really helped as I can see the improvement already, which kind of offsets the decrease in the cardio-vascular side.  I did a google search on Kevin Webber - now I feel so inadequate.

Good luck for the rest of the journey!!

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 11:49

Honestly he makes me feel the same even pre diagnosis! Ultras with G9 and distant high volume spread. Phenomenal. 

I’ll keep sticking with the 5 and 10k’s I think!