I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Barbers Against Prostate Cancer Pop-up Barbershop

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 13:56

Barbers Against Prostate Cancer, in collaboration with Hairforce 1  Barbering Academy, is holding its first pop-up barbershop at Lakeside Shopping Centre in Thurrock on Sunday, April 28th, from 10 am to 5 pm on the ground floor. This event aims to raise awareness about Prostate cancer, risk groups, symptoms and the importance of early detection. Four barbers will offer FREE haircuts to individuals aged 40 and over with a prostate and those with cancer. If you are in the area, please come down and get a free haircut or just come and say hello. We would love to see you! 

Mark Rayment

Founder Barbers Against Prostate Cancer. 

User
Posted 27 Apr 2024 at 09:17

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Barbers Against Prostate Cancer, in collaboration with Hairforce 1  Barbering Academy, is holding its first pop-up barbershop at Lakeside Shopping Centre in Thurrock on Sunday, April 28th, from 10 am to 5 pm on the ground floor. This event aims to raise awareness about Prostate cancer, risk groups, symptoms and the importance of early detection. Four barbers will offer FREE haircuts to individuals aged 40 and over with a prostate and those with cancer. If you are in the area, please come down and get a free haircut or just come and say hello. We would love to see you! 

Mark Rayment

Founder Barbers Against Prostate Cancer. 

What a meaningful job. I will participate in support.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2024 at 09:23

Fantastic! We will be on the Lakeside Shopping Centre's ground floor between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. I look forward to meeting you.

Mark

Edited by member 27 Apr 2024 at 09:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2024 at 09:47

We ran a barbershop event in Luton last year, in conjunction with Luton Borough Council, Macmillan, local GPs, and Luton and Dunstable Prostate Support Group (me!). This was specifically aimed at the local Black African and Caribbean community, and I think it worked well.

What was shocking was how many of the attendees said they had been turned down by their GPs for PSA blood tests because they had no symptoms, in some cases even with a strong family history. The two local GPs present were horrified, and explained that prostate cancer normally has no symptoms until well after it's incurable, and took an action to go away and educate their colleagues.

It was a useful event, and I hope we can do it again periodically.

This was part of a wider initiative to address Luton having poorer cancer outcomes (all cancers) than the surrounding areas due to late presentation with later stage at diagnosis, and a high proportion of diagnosis resulting from attending A&E.

Earlier last year we also did an event targeting the local Sikh community for prostate and gynecological cancers. While their incidence of prostate cancer is lower, they also don't tend to be aware or ask for tests/screening, so they too can also be diagnosed late.

Edited by member 27 Apr 2024 at 09:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2024 at 12:01

Hi Andy

I would love to connect with you. Can you send me a DM on my IG account https://www.instagram.com/barbersagainstprostatecancer, or can you come to Lakeside tomorrow?

Best Regards

Mark