Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

just had prostrate removed

User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 12:36

Hi,

Not sure if i am classed as young tbf but am in my head!(Im 52) I had my prostrate removed 2 weeks ago today having been diagnosed in december with prostrate cancer. i had no symptoms, was actively very fit but went for a health check and the rest is history..

2 weeks after surgery i seem to be making reasonable progress, pain is easing and apart from dribbles after going to toilet no major issues there as yet. i cant get hard but not sure if that is due to timescale from op or something im going to have to live with. never had a problem before the op.

found this site really useful up to yet. :)

Edited by member 20 Mar 2024 at 12:49  | Reason: added age

User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 12:36

Hi,

Not sure if i am classed as young tbf but am in my head!(Im 52) I had my prostrate removed 2 weeks ago today having been diagnosed in december with prostrate cancer. i had no symptoms, was actively very fit but went for a health check and the rest is history..

2 weeks after surgery i seem to be making reasonable progress, pain is easing and apart from dribbles after going to toilet no major issues there as yet. i cant get hard but not sure if that is due to timescale from op or something im going to have to live with. never had a problem before the op.

found this site really useful up to yet. :)

Edited by member 20 Mar 2024 at 12:49  | Reason: added age

User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 14:06
You won't be getting hard for a while yet, give it at least 6 weeks before even thinking about it!
User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 14:11

Glad you're making good progress mate, and love the user name 😂

User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 14:13
Hope you will continue to find it helpful.

Superficially, there is not much to see but you have had intricate and major surgery and not surprisingly it can take a long time to recover so don't set your self back but trying to do do much too soon. Slow but steady progress is what you want very gradually increasing what you do. The fact that you are relatively young and fit will help. I expect you will be regularly monitored and this is important. Hope you continue to make progress, some men take longer than others but be patient.

Barry
User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 16:24
Hi Adrian,

Yeh, i had the catheter removed last friday ( thankfully ) wasnt too keen with that in but realise its there for a reason. read your link and good to see the progress.

All this is very new to me and tbh having this forum is comforting otherwise you feel a little in the wilderness with it all.. i dont have all the technical info nor do i understand it but op done and road to recovery starts ...

Thanks for replying and kind words.

No doubt we will be in touch again at some soon.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 14:06
You won't be getting hard for a while yet, give it at least 6 weeks before even thinking about it!
User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 14:11

Glad you're making good progress mate, and love the user name 😂

User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 14:13
Hope you will continue to find it helpful.

Superficially, there is not much to see but you have had intricate and major surgery and not surprisingly it can take a long time to recover so don't set your self back but trying to do do much too soon. Slow but steady progress is what you want very gradually increasing what you do. The fact that you are relatively young and fit will help. I expect you will be regularly monitored and this is important. Hope you continue to make progress, some men take longer than others but be patient.

Barry
User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 14:21

thanks for the reply and useful info !

User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 15:52

Hello mate.

Welcome to the forum.

You must have only just had your catheter removed. To have so little incontinence, so quickly, is truly remarkable.

I'm just over a year post op. This link gives you an idea of how I've done so far.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30214-Almost-a-year-on-after-RARP

Best of luck with your recovery.

Edited by member 20 Mar 2024 at 16:00  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 16:24
Hi Adrian,

Yeh, i had the catheter removed last friday ( thankfully ) wasnt too keen with that in but realise its there for a reason. read your link and good to see the progress.

All this is very new to me and tbh having this forum is comforting otherwise you feel a little in the wilderness with it all.. i dont have all the technical info nor do i understand it but op done and road to recovery starts ...

Thanks for replying and kind words.

No doubt we will be in touch again at some soon.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 08:04

To be honest, I'm feeling a bit lost in all this new information, so having this forum is reassuring. The operation is completed, and now space bar clicker the road to recovery begins... I don't have all the technical details, and I don't comprehend them either.

Edited by member 03 Apr 2024 at 04:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 09:49

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

The operation is completed, and now the road to recovery begins... I don't have all the technical details, and I don't comprehend them either.

Hi Darell,

Sorry to see that you've had to find us but I'm glad you have. Welcome to the forum.

Best of luck with your recovery. If there is anything you ever want to know just ask and someone will be able to help. 

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 11:25

If you need more info then there are a few real life RARP operations on YouTube but be warned, make sure you REALLY want to know :)

The nerve bundles, if they are able to be saved, are teased away from the prostate either mechanically with forceps or with a heated wire - either way they are heavily abused and will take weeks, if not months, to fully recover. So don't be disheartened by not getting a erection for quite a while yet.
The operation does not affect the nerves at the glans and so a floppy willy orgasm (FWO) is still very possible (and enjoyable!).