Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Slight increase in my psa

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 09:02

Hello everyone,

Had a rapl prostatectomy last July, my first psa test were 0.01 now my last has increased to 0.04. I know its not a lot but think bad depression (fibromyalgia, terrible arthritis & my daughter alienated me) is making me worry about everything.

Is it anything to worry about?

I appreciate any replies 👍👍

Edited by member 22 Mar 2024 at 09:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 10:17
To be honest I would say that was in the noise - just keep up with the regular PSA tests. If it gets above 0.1 then it's time for a chat with your consultant but they won't take an interest until at least that and it may very likely never get that high.

My second PSA was 0.12 so I was put on 3 month tests and it's just hit 0.19 so off for salvage radiotherapy but you are nowhere near that number and probably will never reach it.

As for family, I can't advise on that one but I have similar issues :)

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 09:02

Hello everyone,

Had a rapl prostatectomy last July, my first psa test were 0.01 now my last has increased to 0.04. I know its not a lot but think bad depression (fibromyalgia, terrible arthritis & my daughter alienated me) is making me worry about everything.

Is it anything to worry about?

I appreciate any replies 👍👍

Edited by member 22 Mar 2024 at 09:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 11:07
I meant that there are many things that can affect the tests and there could be variances that are not significant - when you have another PSA it might be 0.03 for example which would be variances that may depend on the day you got tested etc. "In the noise" is a scientific term in testing that basically means not significant enough to be useful.

Families - as they say, you can choose your friends ..... :)

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 11:11

Hello mate,

Have either of your psa results got a less than sign < in front of the figures?

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 12:12

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

It's not on my patient access neither because I had my bloods done at a different surgery.

That's also quite significant - you should always try and get blood tests done at the same location as they can give different readings based on technique and equipment.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 12:22
Unfortunately not - it really can depend on which machine tests especially when we are talking about such small numbers. I think you can relax for the time being.
User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 19:52

Hi DryGuy,

I had a prostatectomy 21 months ago.  After surgery, my first couple of PSA tests were done at the hospital.  They measured to a lower level (<0.025 in my case).  The surgeon described this as "undetectable" PSA.

I was then switched to having the tests done by my G.P.  Presumably, they use a different lab, and my results have been <0.1.  But the same surgeon describes these results as "undetectable" also. 

So, I would suggest that you probably have nothing to worry about.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 10:17
To be honest I would say that was in the noise - just keep up with the regular PSA tests. If it gets above 0.1 then it's time for a chat with your consultant but they won't take an interest until at least that and it may very likely never get that high.

My second PSA was 0.12 so I was put on 3 month tests and it's just hit 0.19 so off for salvage radiotherapy but you are nowhere near that number and probably will never reach it.

As for family, I can't advise on that one but I have similar issues :)

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 10:43

Thanks Steve for reply, hope your radiotherapy goes well and you get it done quickly.

What do you mean in the noise?

Unfortunately my daughter is just like her narcissistical mother. My ex has 4 kids to 3 dad's none get to see their kids. I treated her first kid like he were mine even after we split for eleven years but found out he were just a spy for his controlling mother.

Families EH.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 11:07
I meant that there are many things that can affect the tests and there could be variances that are not significant - when you have another PSA it might be 0.03 for example which would be variances that may depend on the day you got tested etc. "In the noise" is a scientific term in testing that basically means not significant enough to be useful.

Families - as they say, you can choose your friends ..... :)

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 11:11

Hello mate,

Have either of your psa results got a less than sign < in front of the figures?

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 11:14

Thanks Steve, never heard that terminology in my 54 years. Hope you're right that my psa goes back down as I think I'm at the end of my tether.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 11:25

Howdy Adrian, Thanks for your reply. My first psa test were after 3 months opp were < 0.01 ug/L

Not sure of my latest one as my consultant never mentioned it. I found out a month later at my Andrology appointment which he said it were 0.04 so not sure of the <>

It's not on my patient access neither because I had my bloods done at a different surgery.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 12:12

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

That's also quite significant - you should always try and get blood tests done at the same location as they can give different readings based on technique and equipment.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 12:18

Wow really? Thought my blood would have been the same at both nhs doctors?

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 12:22
Unfortunately not - it really can depend on which machine tests especially when we are talking about such small numbers. I think you can relax for the time being.
User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 12:40

Think the blood isn't tested at the doctors, think it goes to a area laboratory which will be the same because both doctors are in Accrington.

But I could be wrong....usually am

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 19:52

Hi DryGuy,

I had a prostatectomy 21 months ago.  After surgery, my first couple of PSA tests were done at the hospital.  They measured to a lower level (<0.025 in my case).  The surgeon described this as "undetectable" PSA.

I was then switched to having the tests done by my G.P.  Presumably, they use a different lab, and my results have been <0.1.  But the same surgeon describes these results as "undetectable" also. 

So, I would suggest that you probably have nothing to worry about.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 20:19

Thanks Jedsee, that's really good news mate. The consultant got me worried by stating my cancer were a bad one, he couldn't believe at my age it were that advanced but contained within my prostate. He said if he knew it were so bad he wouldn't have operated instead have me radiotherapy.

My biopsy were 12 out of 24 were cancerous

Hope things are good with you?

Thanks again I might sleep a little better tonight 👍👍

Edited by member 22 Mar 2024 at 20:21  | Reason: Not specified