I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Year into PROSTAP and testosterone raising

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 19:56

Testosterone May 23, 2 months into HT 0.6, rechecked March 24 now 1, oncologist suggests recheck 6 weeks after next Prostap. If not below 1 suggests Prostap monthly or switch to Degarelix or orchidectomy ( no chance ), anyone else been in this position ?

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 00:43
It is good that your onco is keeping a close eye on the testosterone reading. The fact that it has risen slightly suggests that the Prostap isn't working well enough on its own so the onco's plan to move you to monthly injections or change you to a different kind of hormone treatment if it is still rising is sensible. There is another option which is to continue with the Prostap and add bicalutimide but they would probably want to try degarelix first.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 14:29

Prostap failed for me after a few months ( PSA doubled in just a few weeks) so I was switched to Zoladex, which did the job. Even so, it took a second blast of Bicalutamide to get my PSA  down to a decent starting point for RT. 

As Lyn says, definitely keep an eye on testosterone levels  - I think the absence of checks in my early days allowed the Prostap failure to go unnoticed for a while. After that I always  had the testosterone added to the blood test

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 00:43
It is good that your onco is keeping a close eye on the testosterone reading. The fact that it has risen slightly suggests that the Prostap isn't working well enough on its own so the onco's plan to move you to monthly injections or change you to a different kind of hormone treatment if it is still rising is sensible. There is another option which is to continue with the Prostap and add bicalutimide but they would probably want to try degarelix first.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 14:29

Prostap failed for me after a few months ( PSA doubled in just a few weeks) so I was switched to Zoladex, which did the job. Even so, it took a second blast of Bicalutamide to get my PSA  down to a decent starting point for RT. 

As Lyn says, definitely keep an eye on testosterone levels  - I think the absence of checks in my early days allowed the Prostap failure to go unnoticed for a while. After that I always  had the testosterone added to the blood test