I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Journey update 1

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 17:41

Previously posted late Feb having had Prostrate Cancer diagnosis (Gleason 4+3, PSA 30 , T2c / T3a) Meanwhile went ahead with Knee Replacement surgery (which I'm very grateful for those who commented on the dilemma of going thro with it ). Post MDT & review with Urology I was informed CT & Bone Scan were clear and my choices for treatment were HT & Radiotherapy or Surgery. It was explained that my prostrate was very large and the cancer very close to the capsule. In short when surgery & risks were explained I 'bottled it' and decided to go for HT & Radiotherapy. I was given a prescription for Bicalutamide 50mg & instruction to contact GP after 2/52 to arrange injections. I was also informed that they wanted me to go for a PET CT Scan which is 19 April and told I couldn't start HT until I had the scan. Time is marching on since originally being informed of Prostrate diagnosis on 15 Feb & I just want to crack on with treatment, and wondering whether to investigate cost of having scan done quicker privately. Of course now worried this scan is going to pick some thing up which the others didn't 😶 Still, knee surgery rehab is helping to keep my mind otherwise occupied.

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 17:41

Previously posted late Feb having had Prostrate Cancer diagnosis (Gleason 4+3, PSA 30 , T2c / T3a) Meanwhile went ahead with Knee Replacement surgery (which I'm very grateful for those who commented on the dilemma of going thro with it ). Post MDT & review with Urology I was informed CT & Bone Scan were clear and my choices for treatment were HT & Radiotherapy or Surgery. It was explained that my prostrate was very large and the cancer very close to the capsule. In short when surgery & risks were explained I 'bottled it' and decided to go for HT & Radiotherapy. I was given a prescription for Bicalutamide 50mg & instruction to contact GP after 2/52 to arrange injections. I was also informed that they wanted me to go for a PET CT Scan which is 19 April and told I couldn't start HT until I had the scan. Time is marching on since originally being informed of Prostrate diagnosis on 15 Feb & I just want to crack on with treatment, and wondering whether to investigate cost of having scan done quicker privately. Of course now worried this scan is going to pick some thing up which the others didn't 😶 Still, knee surgery rehab is helping to keep my mind otherwise occupied.

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 20:36

Hello again mate,

I'm glad you managed to get your knee op sorted.

I dont thing the time scale is anything to worry about and I wouldn't bother getting a private scan but that is of course up to you.

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 21:27

CB, a private PSMA scan is likely to be in excess of £2k ,my insurance company was charged just over £4k and I had to do a round trip of 190 miles. Also be aware that the PSMA scans can be cancelled at the last minute due to tracer production issues. The result of a PSMA scan can alter what is on offer. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 00:14
It would be useful to know what kind of PET scan is planned for 19th April - it may just be a choline PET scan which is significantly cheaper and unlikely to be cancelled due to production issues. Alternatively, it could be an Axumin scan which is cheaper that PSMA and available at more private centres but more expensive than choline.

In reality, with the long Easter weekend next week, I would be surprised in you could get a PET scan earlier that 19th April, even if you pay.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 20:36

Hello again mate,

I'm glad you managed to get your knee op sorted.

I dont thing the time scale is anything to worry about and I wouldn't bother getting a private scan but that is of course up to you.

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 21:27

CB, a private PSMA scan is likely to be in excess of £2k ,my insurance company was charged just over £4k and I had to do a round trip of 190 miles. Also be aware that the PSMA scans can be cancelled at the last minute due to tracer production issues. The result of a PSMA scan can alter what is on offer. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 00:14
It would be useful to know what kind of PET scan is planned for 19th April - it may just be a choline PET scan which is significantly cheaper and unlikely to be cancelled due to production issues. Alternatively, it could be an Axumin scan which is cheaper that PSMA and available at more private centres but more expensive than choline.

In reality, with the long Easter weekend next week, I would be surprised in you could get a PET scan earlier that 19th April, even if you pay.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard