I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What is your experience with HT?

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 10:17

So I am heading for my first consult with the oncologist tomorrow after my PSA hit 0.19 about 10 months post RARP and he telephoned me last night to introduce himself and to confirm the appointment. He did say that I would be receiving salvage radiotherapy and hormone therapy. Didn't expect HT!

Anyway, I know that there are various HT treatments and I am wondering if one if better than another? Rather than being given the cheapest by default - is there one that is better than another? I am not overly concerned about reduced libido and I think that I can handle hot flushes but it's the weight gain and moobs that do concern me a bit.

Until I have the conversation, I don't know how long the hormone therapy will be for.

Thanks!

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 13:18
Lifestyle comes into it as well. Prostap is given once each month / every 3 months and there is a little bit of flexibility - 2 or 3 days each way doesn't really matter. Zoladex must be given every 28 / 84 days (so don't start it on a Monday) and it is important not to be early or late. Decapeptyl is given every 28 days or there is a 3 month / 6 month dose. You will have 4 or 12 Prostap injections each year; you would have 13 injections of Zoladex or Decapeptyl each year (or 5 the first year and then 4 the next year). So if you like to travel, Prostap or Decapeptyl (3 / 6 month version) will give you most flexibility.

Weight comes into it for some men. Decapeptyl and Prostap are injected into muscle - often the stomach, bum, upper arm or thigh. Zoladex is always injected into the lower abdomen. If you are very skinny, bum or thigh may be less painful than lower belly.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 15:34

Hi Steve,

I wouldn't know whether this is any better or worse than any others but I am on Prostap injections. These are injected into my belly every 12 weeks. So what I think ('think' because I've also had chemo and radiotherapy with their associated side effects therefore I cannot be sure which treatment is causing what) it is doing to me is:

(1) Hot flushes or more like hot sweats, in themselves not too troublesome but they do wake me up every 1-2 hours every single night which in turn makes me more knackered. When I wake in a sweat I then need to go have a pee.

(2) Loss of libido.

(3) It's also caused my bits to shrivel up but at least they are still there!

(4) Loss of strength, this is becoming more noticeable as time goes by e.g. just lifting heavy objects like the dog crate in and out of the car.

(5) Loss of muscle - I notice it in my legs, walking up hills feels like my legs are like lead weights. I do long walks up hill daily, but my leg muscles do not seem to improve (although they must do even a bit surely!). And, as we are getting into better weather I am yet to find out the impact of this on mountain biking, but as it is I know that the strength I need in my legs to get my out on the trails is not enough (yet).

(6) I am increasingly getting joint pain, especially in my ankles which were already flakey due to playing too much footy years ago. I am also on alendronic acid and adcal to help counter the impact of HT on my bones.

(7) Weight gain, I've put on 10 kgs since I was diagnosed 9 months and from when HT started. I'm making efforts to address this with sensible diet and exercise, so far I think that I have managed to stall the weight gain and quite pleased with that. The extra weight goes on the belly like a typical beer belly, also my bum feels fatty/spongey.

(8) And also, puppy fat on my face which actually I think does also appear to have stalled.

(9) Fatigue/lethargy. It sometimes takes real determination to get motivated to get things done. And, I find that I get exhausted easily when previously I wouldn't e.g. mowing the lawn.

On the plus side I have not developed any noticeable Moobs with prostap and also as Lynne points out another plus is the 12 week intervals with flexibility of a few days around injection day do allow me to plan holidays 😁.

I hope I haven't put you off 🧐, it isn't all bad! All the best with your decision making.

Spongebob.

Edited by member 27 Mar 2024 at 15:37  | Reason: I put months instead of weeks - DOH!

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 10:17

So I am heading for my first consult with the oncologist tomorrow after my PSA hit 0.19 about 10 months post RARP and he telephoned me last night to introduce himself and to confirm the appointment. He did say that I would be receiving salvage radiotherapy and hormone therapy. Didn't expect HT!

Anyway, I know that there are various HT treatments and I am wondering if one if better than another? Rather than being given the cheapest by default - is there one that is better than another? I am not overly concerned about reduced libido and I think that I can handle hot flushes but it's the weight gain and moobs that do concern me a bit.

Until I have the conversation, I don't know how long the hormone therapy will be for.

Thanks!

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 12:59
Hey Steve I specifically asked for Decapeptyl after following a few people on this forum. I’ve been on it 3 yrs and I’m incurable. Have to say it’s been fairly good to me. No weight gain or moobs at all. Yes hot flushes. Still have libido. Aching joints and memory fog worse effect. Good luck , you still curable πŸ’ͺπŸ‘
User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 19:04

Steve, It seems common practice in the UK to offer six months Bicalutamide with SRT. I took it in tablet form (150mg) and found it reasonably tolerable. Libido takes a bit of a hit but it's not non existent. I ate my normal diet and didn't gain any weight and there were no hot flushes. Breast buds and sore nipples did appear after 2 months. I took Tamoxifen to try to counter it for the remaining 4 months. It didn't seem to make too much difference but they gradually disappeared over a period of about six months when the Bical ceased.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 20:05
LynEyre, do you really think the makers of Zoladex have got a slow release formulation accurate to 1.2% (1 day in 84)? It seems extremely unlikely, given the experienced effects continue for months to years after stopping it.

Steve86, the real question is whether you need HT and if so for how long. My guess is that for someone reaching the 0.2 figure within a year of prostatectomy HT will be strongly recommended, but if it is for a relatively short period (e.g. 3 months before and after RT) bicalutimide rather than one of the LHRH agonists might be possible and more tolerable.

Anyway from one who's been there, good luck.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 23:42

Hi Steve,

I have my Prostap injections every 13 weeks on the dot. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone, although some men dont seem to get many side effects. Bicalutamide seems to me to be a good option, I’m not really sure why they don’t use this for those on HT/RT route as primary treatment.

Derek

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 09:18

I was talking with a very senior prostate cancer oncologist. They don't have much control over which GnRH agonist (Zoladex, Prostap, Decapeptly) is used. If their hospital administers it, the hospital decides based on cost. Oncologist can only change this if it isn't working for a particular patient.

Similar story with your GP surgery, if you're injected there. If your surgery is a moderate size in terms of numbers of patients, they may buy one of them in bulk which reduces the cost for that one, but makes the others relatively even more expensive. Even if they don't buy in bulk and you collect from a pharmacy, they may still have a strong preference due to staff familiarity with administering it. Again, oncologist can override this if the preferred one isn't working.

Having said that, I asked my GP why they used Zoladex, and they said it was because it caused the fewest injection site issues, but yes, they buy it in bulk to get lower price. (For some unknown reason, I wasn't included in the bulk purchase, and mine was prescribed via a pharmacy, which also made it easy for me to pick it up and do my own injections.)

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 17:26
Hi all - so back from the oncologist who had the time for a long chat to explain everything.

To start with they do not prescribe Bicalutamide in France - he said that there was no clinical evidence of efficacy which seemed very weird when it is the go to in the UK. He gave me a choice of injectable hormones so I chose Decapetyl with 3 month injections instead of the 6 month one.

I asked about Moobs and so he has given me a prescription for Tamoxifen with strict instructions to ONLY take it if I feel tingling in the breasts after the hormone injection.

He also prescribed Serelys which is a non-prescription medicine to relieve hot flushes - had to pay for that so I hope it was €30 well spent LOL

So I now have my appointment for a prelim CT scan on 6th May and RT treatment starts on 22nd May with 33 daily treatments giving a total dose of 66 thingimajigs.

Now I have to translate all the docs he gave me regarding emptying of bowels (no enemas), drinking 1.5L of water, having a pee, drinking 0.5l of water 10 minutes before the RT and holding it. Oh and the list of about 30 potential side effects (CYA)

Anyway, all good and I'm scheduling the first hormone injection for Friday am along with the testosterone blood test.

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 19:26
Yes, 6 months although he joked(?) that I could stop after 3 months if the Testosterone was below 0.5 - not sure if he was joking or not - he was French but studied in New York so not sure how to take it. I'll be talking to him again before the next injection is due.

Spongebob - no enemas allowed - he says they irritate the rectum and cause more problems so I have to follow the no fibre diet and try and evacuate before the session.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 10:18
LOL - I used the enemas before the biopsy and sometimes before my perineal physio that uses the anal probe - I like the clean and empty feeling they give and the fact that the probe comes out completely clean rather than embarrassingly not. But the onco said no so I'm taking his advice on this one.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 12:59
Hey Steve I specifically asked for Decapeptyl after following a few people on this forum. I’ve been on it 3 yrs and I’m incurable. Have to say it’s been fairly good to me. No weight gain or moobs at all. Yes hot flushes. Still have libido. Aching joints and memory fog worse effect. Good luck , you still curable πŸ’ͺπŸ‘
User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 13:17
Thanks Chris - I've made a note of that medication :)

Yes, early days still for me so fingers crossed for the SRT/HT treatment plan :)

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 13:18
Lifestyle comes into it as well. Prostap is given once each month / every 3 months and there is a little bit of flexibility - 2 or 3 days each way doesn't really matter. Zoladex must be given every 28 / 84 days (so don't start it on a Monday) and it is important not to be early or late. Decapeptyl is given every 28 days or there is a 3 month / 6 month dose. You will have 4 or 12 Prostap injections each year; you would have 13 injections of Zoladex or Decapeptyl each year (or 5 the first year and then 4 the next year). So if you like to travel, Prostap or Decapeptyl (3 / 6 month version) will give you most flexibility.

Weight comes into it for some men. Decapeptyl and Prostap are injected into muscle - often the stomach, bum, upper arm or thigh. Zoladex is always injected into the lower abdomen. If you are very skinny, bum or thigh may be less painful than lower belly.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 15:34

Hi Steve,

I wouldn't know whether this is any better or worse than any others but I am on Prostap injections. These are injected into my belly every 12 weeks. So what I think ('think' because I've also had chemo and radiotherapy with their associated side effects therefore I cannot be sure which treatment is causing what) it is doing to me is:

(1) Hot flushes or more like hot sweats, in themselves not too troublesome but they do wake me up every 1-2 hours every single night which in turn makes me more knackered. When I wake in a sweat I then need to go have a pee.

(2) Loss of libido.

(4) Loss of strength, this is becoming more noticeable as time goes by e.g. just lifting heavy objects like the dog crate in and out of the car.

(5) Loss of muscle - I notice it in my legs, walking up hills feels like my legs are like lead weights. I do long walks up hill daily, but my leg muscles do not seem to improve (although they must do even a bit surely!). And, as we are getting into better weather I am yet to find out the impact of this on mountain biking, but as it is I know that the strength I need in my legs to get my out on the trails is not enough (yet).

(6) I am increasingly getting joint pain, especially in my ankles which were already flakey due to playing too much footy years ago. I am also on alendronic acid and adcal to help counter the impact of HT on my bones.

(7) Weight gain, I've put on 10 kgs since I was diagnosed 9 months and from when HT started. I'm making efforts to address this with sensible diet and exercise, so far I think that I have managed to stall the weight gain and quite pleased with that. The extra weight goes on the belly like a typical beer belly, also my bum feels fatty/spongey.

(8) And also, puppy fat on my face which actually I think does also appear to have stalled.

(9) Fatigue/lethargy. It sometimes takes real determination to get motivated to get things done. And, I find that I get exhausted easily when previously I wouldn't e.g. mowing the lawn.

On the plus side I have not developed any noticeable Moobs with prostap and also as Lynne points out another plus is the 12 week intervals with flexibility of a few days around injection day do allow me to plan holidays 😁.

I hope I haven't put you off 🧐, it isn't all bad! All the best with your decision making.

Spongebob.

Edited by member 27 Mar 2024 at 15:37  | Reason: I put months instead of weeks - DOH!

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 17:00

Hi

On zoladex every three months plus appalutamide daily. I get the hot flushes, which sometimes wake me up. I tend to wake up 3/4 times a night generally and this goes up and down. Next to no libido but can still get an erection with a pill. Fitness and strength has gone down a little, but not too much. I often get knackered at around 9 and struggle to stay up to 10. 

all that being said, I still feel I am living a fairly normal life and would have taken where I am now if offered it immediately after diagnosis.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 17:01

Zoladex for 5 months. Only 2 x side effects for me:

No libido, but if I make an effort I can and do get there.

Hot flushes, mainly at night, but somtimes during the day. Either way, absolutely no problem tolerating it.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 17:02

We’ve been told that OH will need bicalutamide with RT. I get so confused how this differs from the other hormone therapies  everyone’s talking about. Any thoughts on the impact of this HT? 

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 17:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

We’ve been told that OH will need bicalutamide with RT. I get so confused how this differs from the other hormone therapies  everyone’s talking about. Any thoughts on the impact of this HT? 

Zoladex suppresses testosterone production to very low levels, while bicalutamide blocks the action of testosterone on androgen receptors. Just taking Bicalutamide on it’s own won’t affect testosterone.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 17:55

Hi Goose

thats so helpful- don’t think I appreciated the difference. Do that means bicalutamide might be better tolerated? Thanks Kate 

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 18:56
I was fine on Bicalutamide alone for 11 months. Just a big hit of fatigue for first couple of weeks. Some men get moobs or soreness. I was prescribed Tamoxifen to counter-act this. Good luck 🀞
User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 19:02

Thanks Chris - really helpful. Maybe jumping ahead as still waiting for the meeting with oncologist but the urologist was definite that OH will need RT & HT and the CNS  said this would be bicalutamide but no idea for how long. Guess we will soon find out x

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 19:04

Steve, It seems common practice in the UK to offer six months Bicalutamide with SRT. I took it in tablet form (150mg) and found it reasonably tolerable. Libido takes a bit of a hit but it's not non existent. I ate my normal diet and didn't gain any weight and there were no hot flushes. Breast buds and sore nipples did appear after 2 months. I took Tamoxifen to try to counter it for the remaining 4 months. It didn't seem to make too much difference but they gradually disappeared over a period of about six months when the Bical ceased.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 20:05
LynEyre, do you really think the makers of Zoladex have got a slow release formulation accurate to 1.2% (1 day in 84)? It seems extremely unlikely, given the experienced effects continue for months to years after stopping it.

Steve86, the real question is whether you need HT and if so for how long. My guess is that for someone reaching the 0.2 figure within a year of prostatectomy HT will be strongly recommended, but if it is for a relatively short period (e.g. 3 months before and after RT) bicalutimide rather than one of the LHRH agonists might be possible and more tolerable.

Anyway from one who's been there, good luck.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 20:09

(1) Hot flushes or more like hot sweats

(2) Loss of libido.

(4) Loss of strength

(5) Loss of muscle

(6) Joint pain

(7) Weight gain / bum feels fatty/spongey.

(8) And also, puppy fat on my face

(9) Fatigue/lethargy

Spongebob.

The thing is, almost all of these are side effects from the loss of testosterone rather than side effects from the hormone treatment itself; a man may get some / all of these regardless of which HT he chooses. Side effects from the actual drug / depot can include allergy, skin rashes, breathing difficulties but fortunately these are rare. 

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 20:13

Hi Goose

thats so helpful- don’t think I appreciated the difference. Do that means bicalutamide might be better tolerated? Thanks Kate 

In many ways, yes - however, moobs and breathlessness are more likely with bical than with injected HT. On the upside, the bical leaves the body far quicker so temporary side effects tend to disappear quickly as well. OP above was lucky that the moobs have decreased; for many men, if these develop they are permanent :-(  If he is going to have bical, ask whether your hospital will agree to tamoxifen or, if not, a bit of RT to the breast buds before he starts taking the tablets.   

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 20:18

I think if you are doubting that the makers of Zoladex and thousands of medical professionals know what they are talking about, you probably need to take it up with them? 

We hear a lot on here about how long it can take for testosterone to recover but that is not the case for all men. Have a look at TopGun's old posts - his T used to recover remarkably quickly and when he was once given a dud injection, he knew within days because he woke up with an erection. A testosterone test confirmed it. You might also find posts from men who have lost money booking holidays and then discovering that they couldn't have their zoladex injection a couple of days late.  

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 20:19

...do you really think the makers of Zoladex have got a slow release formulation accurate to 1.2% (1 day in 84)? ...

I'm inclined to agree with you JB. I am pretty sure I had one of mine a week early to time with holidays. However if the label says that is how it is to be used, who are we to disagree?

Dave

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 23:42

Hi Steve,

I have my Prostap injections every 13 weeks on the dot. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone, although some men dont seem to get many side effects. Bicalutamide seems to me to be a good option, I’m not really sure why they don’t use this for those on HT/RT route as primary treatment.

Derek

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 08:23
Thanks everyone for the info - I think I will try and see if they will go the Bicalutamide and Tamoxifen route but will update when I have had the convo with onco this pm (dam, with language like that I could be on Love Island!!)
User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 09:18

I was talking with a very senior prostate cancer oncologist. They don't have much control over which GnRH agonist (Zoladex, Prostap, Decapeptly) is used. If their hospital administers it, the hospital decides based on cost. Oncologist can only change this if it isn't working for a particular patient.

Similar story with your GP surgery, if you're injected there. If your surgery is a moderate size in terms of numbers of patients, they may buy one of them in bulk which reduces the cost for that one, but makes the others relatively even more expensive. Even if they don't buy in bulk and you collect from a pharmacy, they may still have a strong preference due to staff familiarity with administering it. Again, oncologist can override this if the preferred one isn't working.

Having said that, I asked my GP why they used Zoladex, and they said it was because it caused the fewest injection site issues, but yes, they buy it in bulk to get lower price. (For some unknown reason, I wasn't included in the bulk purchase, and mine was prescribed via a pharmacy, which also made it easy for me to pick it up and do my own injections.)

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 11:30
Quote:

In many ways, yes - however, moobs and breathlessness are more likely with bical than with injected HT. On the upside, the bical leaves the body far quicker so temporary side effects tend to disappear quickly as well. OP above was lucky that the moobs have decreased; for many men, if these develop they are permanent :-(  If he is going to have bical, ask whether your hospital will agree to tamoxifen or, if not, a bit of RT to the breast buds before he starts taking the tablets.   

really helpful Lyn thank you 

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 17:26
Hi all - so back from the oncologist who had the time for a long chat to explain everything.

To start with they do not prescribe Bicalutamide in France - he said that there was no clinical evidence of efficacy which seemed very weird when it is the go to in the UK. He gave me a choice of injectable hormones so I chose Decapetyl with 3 month injections instead of the 6 month one.

I asked about Moobs and so he has given me a prescription for Tamoxifen with strict instructions to ONLY take it if I feel tingling in the breasts after the hormone injection.

He also prescribed Serelys which is a non-prescription medicine to relieve hot flushes - had to pay for that so I hope it was €30 well spent LOL

So I now have my appointment for a prelim CT scan on 6th May and RT treatment starts on 22nd May with 33 daily treatments giving a total dose of 66 thingimajigs.

Now I have to translate all the docs he gave me regarding emptying of bowels (no enemas), drinking 1.5L of water, having a pee, drinking 0.5l of water 10 minutes before the RT and holding it. Oh and the list of about 30 potential side effects (CYA)

Anyway, all good and I'm scheduling the first hormone injection for Friday am along with the testosterone blood test.

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 17:57

Hi Steve,

{He also prescribed Serelys which is a non-prescription medicine to relieve hot flushes - had to pay for that so I hope it was €30 well spent LOL}

I'll be interested to know if "Serelys" helps with the hot flushes. My Oncologist did suggest some medication for hot flushes but I didn't take note (waiting for her to send letter to my GP).

Good luck with the RT, nothing quite like squirting enemas up the backside each day and holding quantities of water etc πŸ˜„ 

Cheers

Spongebob

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 18:24

Hi Steve 

sounds like a good plan- interesting about bical through. Did the oncologist talk about how long you will be on Decapetyl? 

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 19:26
Yes, 6 months although he joked(?) that I could stop after 3 months if the Testosterone was below 0.5 - not sure if he was joking or not - he was French but studied in New York so not sure how to take it. I'll be talking to him again before the next injection is due.

Spongebob - no enemas allowed - he says they irritate the rectum and cause more problems so I have to follow the no fibre diet and try and evacuate before the session.

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 20:01

{Sponge-bob - no enemas allowed - he says they irritate the rectum and cause more problems so I have to follow the no fibre diet and try and evacuate before the session.}

DOH! Sorry I miss-read your original post. I’m losing it or more probably the enema trauma has messed with my brain. 
Good luck

Spongebob

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 10:18
LOL - I used the enemas before the biopsy and sometimes before my perineal physio that uses the anal probe - I like the clean and empty feeling they give and the fact that the probe comes out completely clean rather than embarrassingly not. But the onco said no so I'm taking his advice on this one.
User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 21:04

Steve 86,

Very best wishes to you.  Hope it all goes smoothly.

JedSee.

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 07:20

Hi Steve,

Glad you’ve got a plan in place and 6 months on HT doesn’t sound too bad at all. The worst of my side effects (joint pain) didn’t start until around 9 months on the poison and got steadily worse, so hopefully you will avoid this. Unfortunately I think loss of Libido kicks in very quickly but again it varies from one person to another.

Good luck!

Derek

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 12:11

The libido issue might be an 'issue' as I was concerned as to whether masturbation and intercourse might influence my testosterone levels - my thinking was that regular activity might increase my T levels when I start the hormone injections (now Tuesday as the nurse forgot about Easter LOL)

Much to my surprise I found a scientific articles that demonstrated that a 3 week abstinence from masturbation INCREASES testosterone.

"These data demonstrate that acute abstinence does not change the neuroendocrine response to orgasm but does produce elevated levels of testosterone in males."

Now if the hormones decrease libido then I am going to have to force myself to take things in hand methinks.

This is the article

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 12:12  | Reason: Add article link

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 12:24

Do it for science Steve. 

For the greater good. 

Enjoy!

User
Posted 31 Mar 2024 at 20:49

That's an interesting article Steve but surely if you are on HT then you are going to stop producing testosterone regardless of what you do or don't do?

User
Posted 31 Mar 2024 at 23:12
Chris is correct. While on HT, there is no testosterone being produced so masturbation or abstention will make no difference at all.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 10:47
What was confusing was that the onco said that if T was down to < 0.5 then it might be possible not to have the second 3 month injection - that sounded like the hormone injection would slowly reduce the T down to a target figure - a bit like PSA testing.

My thoughts were that if not masturbating during the HT were to increase T then would that not make it harder for the hormone therapy to meet that target of <0.5?

I didn't realise that HT would immediately stop production of Testosterone.

Deffo a learning curve :)

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 11:04

I’m learning too - my head is scrambled- so bicalutamide is not HT as in ADT - rather it stops the uptake of testosterone but not the production of testosterone? Have I got that right? 

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 12:15

The hormone therapy injections (and Relugolix - not available on the NHS) stop Testosterone production by the Testicles. Sometimes a particular drug is not as effective as it should be in a particular individual or it wears off sooner than it should, in which case (if anyone notices), they'd swap you to another one.

Small amounts of Testosterone are also produced by the adrenal glands, and the hormone therapy injections don't stop those (Abiraterone does).

Bicalutamide is an anti-androgen which blocks androgen receptors so that they can't use Testosterone. It's inclusion under the term ADT is not consistent - often it is included.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 12:44

I’m learning too - my head is scrambled- so bicalutamide is not HT as in ADT - rather it stops the uptake of testosterone but not the production of testosterone? Have I got that right? 

Think of your cancer as a car engine, with testosterone being the fuel goes into you petrol tank, from your balls. The hormone therapy injections (Zoladex Prostap etc) are like valves that control the flow of fuel from your balls to your petrol tank and reduce the flow to very low levels. But sometimes these valves might not work efficiently and might need replacing, so mechanics might swap and change them for different ones.

But, BUT, there's also a small amount of fuel coming from another source, like a petrol reserve tank. The hormone therapy injections don't affect this reserve tank. 

So, your engine has receptors that need fuel to function. Bicalutamide is like a lock that's placed on these receptors, preventing them from using the fuel, from ANY source. It's like putting a lock on certain parts of the engine to temporarily stop them from working. It's often used alongside the valves (hormone therapy), with the intention of completely stopping the engine.

Hopefully that’s helped rather than confused you even more.

Edited by member 01 Apr 2024 at 12:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 12:58

Well my Fuel tank is completely empty!🀣🀣🀣🀣

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 15:26

Think of your cancer as a car engine, with testosterone being the fuel goes into you petrol tank, from your balls. The hormone therapy injections (Zoladex Prostap etc) are like valves that control the flow of fuel from your balls to your petrol tank and reduce the flow to very low levels. But sometimes these valves might not work efficiently and might need replacing, so mechanics might swap and change them for different ones.

But, BUT, there's also a small amount of fuel coming from another source, like a petrol reserve tank. The hormone therapy injections don't affect this reserve tank. 

So, your engine has receptors that need fuel to function. Bicalutamide is like a lock that's placed on these receptors, preventing them from using the fuel, from ANY source. It's like putting a lock on certain parts of the engine to temporarily stop them from working. It's often used alongside the valves (hormone therapy), with the intention of completely stopping the engine.

Hopefully that’s helped rather than confused you even more.

Goose that’s a very clear explanation ! Thank you- love the car metaphor :)