Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Slightly raised PSA

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 10:38

Hi everyone 

I’ve not been on here for a long time, I hope you are all keeping well.  Husband is just in February 5 years post op, his sixth monthly PSA has increased from 0.03 ugl[<4.5] (since October 22) to 0.04ugl [<4.5]……should we be worried?

Also a few months ago blood was detected in his urine, he has had and ultrasound testes and kidney , MRI kidney and a cytoscopy, nothing found, although the ultrasound consultant did comment that his epididymis tubes were thickened and asked him if he had had a vasectomy (which he hasn’t, but has had a prostatectomy).  After reading Dr Google I’m wondering if he could have epididymitis (from previous UTI’s)…..has anyone experienced this.

thankyou

Edited by member 27 Mar 2024 at 10:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 14:06

One swallow doesn't a summer make and one reading with a small increase doesn't make a trend.  HIs psa is very low anyway and many hospital's don't let you know until it reaches 0.1.  So they must consider 0.1 safe unless there are other factors, examples of which I don't know.  If it increased by that much every 6 months it would take a long time to become significant.

You are sure none of those readings are <0.03 or <0.04.  They might have changed their threshold of undetectable, although not very likely.

You can only wait until the next reading.   That 0.04 might actually have been 0.036 and the 0.03 might have been 0.035, or something like that.  All the best.

Edited by member 27 Mar 2024 at 14:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 14:46

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

One swallow doesn't a summer make

But it used to make my day.  😉

I totally agree with your evaluation of the slight PSA rise.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 20:34

Mrs Gee

I really do not think you should be worried at all. I am coming up to 4 years post op and until August last year my PSA was <00.1 when it  went up to 0.5 and in January this year to 1.2. That is when I got really worried and now have cancer cells detected in my pelvis. Just be vigilant with the monitoring and ensure regular PSA tests.

All the best.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 14:06

One swallow doesn't a summer make and one reading with a small increase doesn't make a trend.  HIs psa is very low anyway and many hospital's don't let you know until it reaches 0.1.  So they must consider 0.1 safe unless there are other factors, examples of which I don't know.  If it increased by that much every 6 months it would take a long time to become significant.

You are sure none of those readings are <0.03 or <0.04.  They might have changed their threshold of undetectable, although not very likely.

You can only wait until the next reading.   That 0.04 might actually have been 0.036 and the 0.03 might have been 0.035, or something like that.  All the best.

Edited by member 27 Mar 2024 at 14:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 14:46

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

One swallow doesn't a summer make

But it used to make my day.  😉

I totally agree with your evaluation of the slight PSA rise.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 20:34

Mrs Gee

I really do not think you should be worried at all. I am coming up to 4 years post op and until August last year my PSA was <00.1 when it  went up to 0.5 and in January this year to 1.2. That is when I got really worried and now have cancer cells detected in my pelvis. Just be vigilant with the monitoring and ensure regular PSA tests.

All the best.