I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Had RP yesterday ...

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 14:44

Well, that's one thing I won't be doing again ... no matter what anyone says.  The money - such as it exists - be it in credit or debit - is now well and truly out of my account and certainly control.   At least for the moment it is.  

Seriously though, it all went through rather smoothly - (a) I thought and (b) I hope.  I am - for my sins - a Gleason 7 (4+3), T2c, M0N0 - at least I was when I last looked.  I pray I am no longer.  I was told this morning by the surgeon's assistant that all went exactly as expected.  The right side only had a small amount of PCa in the transition zone so the nerves were spared on that side.  On the left - where the majority lay - (an 11mm lesion) = the surgeon went 'as deep as he could' in order to do his level best to see that a negative margin was maintained.  The seminal vesicles but no lymph nodes were removed.  I asked.  The distinguished 'They' were feeling optimistic.  

I came to - not in the recovery room - but being wheeled back into a private room in the private wing of a major London hospital where the surgery had been undertaken.  (I was one of the fortunate charity cases under the NHS.  Luck of the draw it was.)  For a moment or so while still on the move I wondered if this was a fantasy.  That I remember.  Then when I was back in the room - and a kind nurse was speaking to me - I began to realise that it was indeed completely real.  I felt - strange to say - completely normal.  I felt as if I could get up and run about. I didn't - still there was no heaviness in my legs.  I - and the bed panels - were stunningly controlled.  I had read about delirium so I recited Shakespeare's Sonnet 3 and a short speech by George Bernard Shaw which had been made to a class of graduating nurses in Brighton in 1921.  I had learned it especially for this purpose.  The nurse really liked that one.  Thus, I felt I had ticked the box for mental acuity.  

I had no problem sleeping - short of being wakened to have blood pressure taken - which, although initially a little low became normal at its next reading - and to have drugs plied in my direction.  I politely refused them.  The nurse was insistent on the second round; placated by my having a single paracetamol which I really felt was totally unnecessary. 

It's funny.  I had strained a muscle in my back a week ago last Friday.  The pain of that had been easing - but even sitting here now - following the operation - it has totally disappeared.  A long way to run for a cure I suppose, but a cure nonetheless.  Strange that.  

I almost felt a bit guilty today.  When the new (male) day-shift nurse finally let me get up I sat in a chair - no problem - and then walked up and down in the room.  'You're a fast walker' he said.  'I am', I said smiling.  I started to do some pas de basque ... He laughed.  He said he'd never seen anyone do anything like that in such a situation.  I really did feel full of beans.  I STILL DO sitting here. 

Here am I - I have come home, unpacked, and sit writing this note.  Short of an awareness of the incisions - all of which look very neat -- and a slight shadow of pain when I turn in a certain direction in my shoulder - I have no other side effects.  YET.  As I say, I feel a certain amount of guilt.  I certainly don't feel fatigued like people so often say they feel.  There are 65 stairs up to my flat.  I had rehearsed going up a stair at a time - and then resting.  I started the first few that way but then just thought it was ridiculous as I felt no different than when I last when down them.  I didn't run, no, but I certainly didn't dawdle.  For me it was a 'normal gait'.  Anyone who didn't know my situation would think nothing was amiss.  Indeed my neighbour came up just after me and she said how stunned she was at my appearance after a major operation.  I have to confess ... I am somewhat baffled myself.  

I was chuffed somewhat.  The surgeon's assistant said I was 'in very good shape'.  He said that many men - even slim ones - have 'internal fat' ... He said I didn't seem to have any.  'It's obvious' he noted, 'that you take care of yourself'.  At the meeting prior to the surgery he showed me a model that had been made of my prostate.  I could actually see the cancer in 3D.  The cancer was stark white and the remainder of the central prostate was clear, solid plastic.  He said that I had a 'short sphincter muscle'.  He pointed that out.  I ran my finger over it in real time.  He said that this was not uncommon.  They would just double tighten the suture and that I would have to have the catheter for two weeks rather than one.  (I'm happy to have it for a month if it helps in the cause of continence'.)  He said it was just one of the factors but he said they had tested it with a saline run twice and it appeared to be entirely tight.  Has anyone else had an experience with a 'short sphincter muscle'.  It makes such a difference when you can actually can see things on a model of your own body part.  

Should I expect fatigue to follow now?  As I say I thought I would feel it today - but I don't at all.  Any practical advice will be much appreciated.  

Think I am going - while working - to have the night bag and its stand housed in a tray under my desk.  That way I can concentrate and not unduly worry.  I will get up at short intervals - just to check all is well - and to take a little stroll and, thus, keep bits moving in the appropriate direction and function.

Any other useful suggestions from you lovely people - however minor - will be greatly appreciated.

Bless you for your kind consideration.   

Edited by member 28 Mar 2024 at 15:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 17:17

Hi Meunier

The surgery removal site at your belly button will feel a bit sore and uncomfortable for at least 2 weeks.    That is the largest incision unlike the others which are just stab incisions and heal really fast.    I am sure the time taken to remove the catheter depends on one's own surgeon.  He/she knows exactly how much time is required after the actual surgery.     I was surprised mine was taken out at actually a tad under 7 days.  I had the op on a Saturday lunchtime and the catheter was taken out at 8am the next Saturday.    The urology nurse who removed it said she was really confident I would have no problems and she was right.  

I think prostate surgery helps remove any inhibitions that we men may have.    You soon learn to talk about penis size and ED problems and lose any embarrassment.    Also very quickly you appreciate others helping you and are glad to accept help.    This forum is great as there seem to be some very experienced people on here who are several years down the line after RARP or RT/HT treatment regimes.   I only found the forum by chance about 2 weeks ago.  

Gentle increasing exercise is absolutely fine and I am sure helps with general rehab and helps general circulation issues.  

Good luck

Mark

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 14:37

Hi Meunier

I had RP on February 10th, and have found this period of sustained inactivity at times a struggle. I'm 61, fit and active, similar BMI.

On hospital discharge. the urology nurses advised me to walk as much as is comfortable which I maybe took too literally. After the catheter was moved on day 10 I was comfortably walking 4-5 miles a day which drifted up to 8-10 miles daily after a couple of weeks. 

At the follow up surgeon appointment he strongly (and sternly) advised to cut activity levels right down - limiting to walking two miles a day, and reminding me that while the external surgical marks may be slight, don't underestimate the extent of internal healing required. 

Suitably chastened and back in front of the telly. 

Good luck with your recovery - sounds like a positive start! 

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 14:44

Well, that's one thing I won't be doing again ... no matter what anyone says.  The money - such as it exists - be it in credit or debit - is now well and truly out of my account and certainly control.   At least for the moment it is.  

Seriously though, it all went through rather smoothly - (a) I thought and (b) I hope.  I am - for my sins - a Gleason 7 (4+3), T2c, M0N0 - at least I was when I last looked.  I pray I am no longer.  I was told this morning by the surgeon's assistant that all went exactly as expected.  The right side only had a small amount of PCa in the transition zone so the nerves were spared on that side.  On the left - where the majority lay - (an 11mm lesion) = the surgeon went 'as deep as he could' in order to do his level best to see that a negative margin was maintained.  The seminal vesicles but no lymph nodes were removed.  I asked.  The distinguished 'They' were feeling optimistic.  

I came to - not in the recovery room - but being wheeled back into a private room in the private wing of a major London hospital where the surgery had been undertaken.  (I was one of the fortunate charity cases under the NHS.  Luck of the draw it was.)  For a moment or so while still on the move I wondered if this was a fantasy.  That I remember.  Then when I was back in the room - and a kind nurse was speaking to me - I began to realise that it was indeed completely real.  I felt - strange to say - completely normal.  I felt as if I could get up and run about. I didn't - still there was no heaviness in my legs.  I - and the bed panels - were stunningly controlled.  I had read about delirium so I recited Shakespeare's Sonnet 3 and a short speech by George Bernard Shaw which had been made to a class of graduating nurses in Brighton in 1921.  I had learned it especially for this purpose.  The nurse really liked that one.  Thus, I felt I had ticked the box for mental acuity.  

I had no problem sleeping - short of being wakened to have blood pressure taken - which, although initially a little low became normal at its next reading - and to have drugs plied in my direction.  I politely refused them.  The nurse was insistent on the second round; placated by my having a single paracetamol which I really felt was totally unnecessary. 

It's funny.  I had strained a muscle in my back a week ago last Friday.  The pain of that had been easing - but even sitting here now - following the operation - it has totally disappeared.  A long way to run for a cure I suppose, but a cure nonetheless.  Strange that.  

I almost felt a bit guilty today.  When the new (male) day-shift nurse finally let me get up I sat in a chair - no problem - and then walked up and down in the room.  'You're a fast walker' he said.  'I am', I said smiling.  I started to do some pas de basque ... He laughed.  He said he'd never seen anyone do anything like that in such a situation.  I really did feel full of beans.  I STILL DO sitting here. 

Here am I - I have come home, unpacked, and sit writing this note.  Short of an awareness of the incisions - all of which look very neat -- and a slight shadow of pain when I turn in a certain direction in my shoulder - I have no other side effects.  YET.  As I say, I feel a certain amount of guilt.  I certainly don't feel fatigued like people so often say they feel.  There are 65 stairs up to my flat.  I had rehearsed going up a stair at a time - and then resting.  I started the first few that way but then just thought it was ridiculous as I felt no different than when I last when down them.  I didn't run, no, but I certainly didn't dawdle.  For me it was a 'normal gait'.  Anyone who didn't know my situation would think nothing was amiss.  Indeed my neighbour came up just after me and she said how stunned she was at my appearance after a major operation.  I have to confess ... I am somewhat baffled myself.  

I was chuffed somewhat.  The surgeon's assistant said I was 'in very good shape'.  He said that many men - even slim ones - have 'internal fat' ... He said I didn't seem to have any.  'It's obvious' he noted, 'that you take care of yourself'.  At the meeting prior to the surgery he showed me a model that had been made of my prostate.  I could actually see the cancer in 3D.  The cancer was stark white and the remainder of the central prostate was clear, solid plastic.  He said that I had a 'short sphincter muscle'.  He pointed that out.  I ran my finger over it in real time.  He said that this was not uncommon.  They would just double tighten the suture and that I would have to have the catheter for two weeks rather than one.  (I'm happy to have it for a month if it helps in the cause of continence'.)  He said it was just one of the factors but he said they had tested it with a saline run twice and it appeared to be entirely tight.  Has anyone else had an experience with a 'short sphincter muscle'.  It makes such a difference when you can actually can see things on a model of your own body part.  

Should I expect fatigue to follow now?  As I say I thought I would feel it today - but I don't at all.  Any practical advice will be much appreciated.  

Think I am going - while working - to have the night bag and its stand housed in a tray under my desk.  That way I can concentrate and not unduly worry.  I will get up at short intervals - just to check all is well - and to take a little stroll and, thus, keep bits moving in the appropriate direction and function.

Any other useful suggestions from you lovely people - however minor - will be greatly appreciated.

Bless you for your kind consideration.   

Edited by member 28 Mar 2024 at 15:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 15:48

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Ironically perhaps but both seem about the same to me .... :) .... 

Bloomin eck! You have done well. I remember lifting the sheets peering over my super inflated belly and thinking God they've cut it off!

Joking apart its great that you feel so well. I can remember being elated at the thought of  hopefully being cancer free.

Please keep us updated during your recovery. and best of luck.

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 16:53

You might find sitting at a desk for an extended period  with a catheter gets uncomfortable. I have had a catheter for too many years and only had one bag leak. Put the stand in a  bucket easier to carry around.

I assume you have a urethral catheter , if the end of the penis gets sore get one of the antiseptic, anesthetic and lubricant gels, usually available at most chemists without prescription, Boots sometimes require a prescription. In order of my preference, instilagel, hydrocaine or optilube. Just squirt a little bit of gel into the eye of the penis. Keep the penis and catheter clean.A syringe of the gel is a couple of pounds.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 28 Mar 2024 at 16:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 18:24

By passing a small amount of blood and urine out of the penis when passing a motion is also frequently mentioned. I was told Rosé coloured urine in the bag was probably okay,red wine colour needs checking out. Seeing blood and clots in the bag is often reported by guys who are over doing it.

At night I attach the leg bag tube to my ankle with a strap, reduces pulling on the leg bag night bag connection. Make sure all joints are tight nothing worse than waking up in you own urine.

I have a lock for my leg bag tap,once you have had wet socks you will find a solution, I used to use an elastic band. Usually happens when you catch the tap when pulling your trousers down.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 28 Mar 2024 at 18:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 18:52

nothing worse than waking up in you own urine.

There is. Waking up in someone else's. 😁

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 11:49

HI Meunier

So pleased for you that your op seemed to go like clockwork.   I had a RARP on 9th March and had a fairly similar recovery.   I did stay on paracetamol for 3 days and did have shoulder ache for a day or 2 longer due to being in a head down position during the op.     I luckily only had a catheter in for 7 days as it becomes uncomfortable as others say.    The tip of the penis becomes a bit sore I suppose from the slight chafing and pull on the catheter.    I used a leg bag during the day and just emptied it every hour or so.   It made me get up and walk around to the toilet anyway.    At about 4 days the leg bag started leaking near the bottom tap but my local GP nurse was great and had a spare at the practice so spared me a trip back to Oxford to the Churchill hospital.   One day the catheter did become slightly blocked as there was no urine coming into the leg bag over about 1hr time period.   I very slightly moved the catheter a bit and compressed the catheter tube to slightly move urine back and forth and it seemed to free a small blood clot which then came out with the urine flow.   The night bag worked fine for overnight use,  but I just had to remember to stay sleeping on the same side and not rolling over in the night.  

After 7 days the catheter was removed and since then I have been totally leak free and continent.  That came as the biggest relief as I was not looking forward to wearing pads or incontinent pads.    All those pads which I bought before the operation are now redundant so if any one wants 15 medium pull up pants and 60 medium absorbent pads,  I am happy to pass on.    

I like you was probably pretty fit before the op and I am sure that may make a difference.   My BMI is 23 and I take a reasonable amount of exercise daily.   Since my op,   I have been increasing my daily walking up to about 4 miles a day.     

Good luck and I hope your recovery continues well

Mark

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 12:21
Well done and pleased for you BUT a word or two of caution.

DON'T OVERDO IT.

You might feel like you can take on the world but you have had major abdominal surgery and it will take time to heal. A friend of mine had the op a week before me and is now waiting for a hernia op at the wound site as he thought that the garden needed weeding!!

Also, the shoulder pain will kick in - it's a reaction to the CO2 inflation of your abdomen and having a paracetemol regime going before it kicks in will make life feel a whole lot better.

Just remember to keep the tip of the penis and the catheter tube up to the joint 100% sterile - never touch with fingers, just a sterile pad dosed in antiseptic. This is vital.

Good luck with the recovery and fingers crossed that they got it all!

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 16:36

Thanks so to all.

Glad things went well, Mark ... especially since we are so close to each other with our scorecard as you suggest.  It's funny I just went and lay down for a brief nap.  I didn't connect to the night bag as I didn't think I'd be that long.  Happily, I wasn't.  I started to panic when I came to thinking there was really nothing in the bag.  I was wrong.  It was just that the urine is now back to its native straw colour and I was relieved.  I've had the shoulder pain - not overly brutal - but only when I lie down it seems as I have to sleep on my right side due to severe foraminal stenosis.  Once settled the pain has disappeared. 

The only thing that I really feel at the moment is the stretch with the clasps at the surgical removal site.  I think I know how a Frankenstein monster might  have felt -- oh, and if I cough I definitely feel it pull - but I'm assuming (well, hoping certainly) that this is normal on the second day back home. 

I have been taking up suggestions from here and actually taking paracetamol every four hours.  I've not yet addressed the dressings.  I'm thinking I will wait just a little while longer for the actual core clasps to settle a bit more.  I won't let it go more than a couple of days.  I have used a series of different materials - (e.g., a sock, a ribbon, a toothbrush, a fork end, etc.) - gently stroking each in turn over the skin - to help re-sensitise it.  (As Steve says this was a major shock to the internal system.)  Someone told me this was helpful ... and I must confess to have found it be so thus far.  I've not yet had any disturbance with the penis end so will leave well enough alone in that department.  It may well come - as I've yet to see day four.  I do have the instillagel at the ready if that were to bite.  

I would SO love to be totally continent like you, Mark.  I SO would.  Because of my work that is the one thing I fear.  Indeed, fear mightily.  I just want to get back int he saddle.  Like you I've got a table of pads laid out and depends underwear.  I am aiming to turn my mind into the sharpest focus possible on that front.  I'm happy to wait another week with the catheter should this prove helpful in that regard.  If it would do any good I would wait even longer.  My BMI - when it's at home - is 21.5.  Like you, Mark, I am hoping with this we can well and truly see the back of this particular (not so) little adventure.  

Thanks for yours, Steve.  I can assure you that I am - (well, I think I am at any rate) - taking things easy.  For me I definitely am.  Certainly I'm not lifting anything.  The idea of another surgery for a hernia at this juncture is not something I would welcome.  Definitely not.  I had never spent a night in a hospital before and I happily would not spend another one.  I have all my food laid out on my kitchen table so I only take any one item from there to use in preparation.  I checked with the surgeon and he said that bending down would not put myself at risk for a hernia.  Still, I'm prudent with that as well.  I have two friends who can do shopping for me and will happily bring it in and lay it out for me.  It is not easy that bit as I'm a very private and independent person - but it is, I know, a necessary evil and I'm grateful for their kindnesses as I am for the many that are continually evidenced on this board.  As with the MDT, this is assuredly a team effort.  

Happy Easter to all.  

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 02:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 16:05

Good to hear all your success stories, I’m really pleased for you all.

I would agree with Steve and the consultant not to overdo it…your insides have taken a real battering!

good luck to all of you with your recoveries and spare a thought for all of us HT guys on 2/3 years of Hot Flashes, zero libido, Brain Fog, joint aches, ED, Insomnia, anxiety..and more🤣🤣🤣

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 17:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 18:49

A nicely written piece.  It's good that the surgeon spoke to you after the op.  I've never spoken to mine since the pre-op interview going on for 8yrs ago.   I learnt nothing until 8 weeks later.  Then 3 days after that with an OK from the doc I flew to Australia for 4 weeks, no worries.

Like you I never had any pain and woke up after the op feeling alright.  I was allowed to refuse drugs for the 2 days I was there and walked round the whole ward carrying a leg bag and a blood drainage bag.  The blood drain was the only reason I stayed a second night as it was still flowing.

When the catheter is taken out I found on my first walk I started leaking after a mile and filled the pad without noticing, causing wet trousers.  A spare pad is useful.

If you feel alright it's half of the battle.  It sounds good.  All the best Peter

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 18:52  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 15:16

Hello again mate.

I'm so pleased that you feel good after the op.

Does your belly feel bigger and your willy feel smaller? Mine did. 😁

Edited by member 28 Mar 2024 at 15:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 15:39

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 15:48

Bloomin eck! You have done well. I remember lifting the sheets peering over my super inflated belly and thinking God they've cut it off!

Joking apart its great that you feel so well. I can remember being elated at the thought of  hopefully being cancer free.

Please keep us updated during your recovery. and best of luck.

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 16:53

You might find sitting at a desk for an extended period  with a catheter gets uncomfortable. I have had a catheter for too many years and only had one bag leak. Put the stand in a  bucket easier to carry around.

I assume you have a urethral catheter , if the end of the penis gets sore get one of the antiseptic, anesthetic and lubricant gels, usually available at most chemists without prescription, Boots sometimes require a prescription. In order of my preference, instilagel, hydrocaine or optilube. Just squirt a little bit of gel into the eye of the penis. Keep the penis and catheter clean.A syringe of the gel is a couple of pounds.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 28 Mar 2024 at 16:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 17:01

Thanks so, Chris .... I already have a box of Instilagel at the ready.   So hopefully well prepared!!! .... Also wearing a pad in my briefs to catch any unfortunate drops that may come its way in any sway.  Hopefully we'll get there.  

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 18:24

By passing a small amount of blood and urine out of the penis when passing a motion is also frequently mentioned. I was told Rosé coloured urine in the bag was probably okay,red wine colour needs checking out. Seeing blood and clots in the bag is often reported by guys who are over doing it.

At night I attach the leg bag tube to my ankle with a strap, reduces pulling on the leg bag night bag connection. Make sure all joints are tight nothing worse than waking up in you own urine.

I have a lock for my leg bag tap,once you have had wet socks you will find a solution, I used to use an elastic band. Usually happens when you catch the tap when pulling your trousers down.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 28 Mar 2024 at 18:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 18:52

nothing worse than waking up in you own urine.

There is. Waking up in someone else's. 😁

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 11:49

HI Meunier

So pleased for you that your op seemed to go like clockwork.   I had a RARP on 9th March and had a fairly similar recovery.   I did stay on paracetamol for 3 days and did have shoulder ache for a day or 2 longer due to being in a head down position during the op.     I luckily only had a catheter in for 7 days as it becomes uncomfortable as others say.    The tip of the penis becomes a bit sore I suppose from the slight chafing and pull on the catheter.    I used a leg bag during the day and just emptied it every hour or so.   It made me get up and walk around to the toilet anyway.    At about 4 days the leg bag started leaking near the bottom tap but my local GP nurse was great and had a spare at the practice so spared me a trip back to Oxford to the Churchill hospital.   One day the catheter did become slightly blocked as there was no urine coming into the leg bag over about 1hr time period.   I very slightly moved the catheter a bit and compressed the catheter tube to slightly move urine back and forth and it seemed to free a small blood clot which then came out with the urine flow.   The night bag worked fine for overnight use,  but I just had to remember to stay sleeping on the same side and not rolling over in the night.  

After 7 days the catheter was removed and since then I have been totally leak free and continent.  That came as the biggest relief as I was not looking forward to wearing pads or incontinent pads.    All those pads which I bought before the operation are now redundant so if any one wants 15 medium pull up pants and 60 medium absorbent pads,  I am happy to pass on.    

I like you was probably pretty fit before the op and I am sure that may make a difference.   My BMI is 23 and I take a reasonable amount of exercise daily.   Since my op,   I have been increasing my daily walking up to about 4 miles a day.     

Good luck and I hope your recovery continues well

Mark

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 12:21
Well done and pleased for you BUT a word or two of caution.

DON'T OVERDO IT.

You might feel like you can take on the world but you have had major abdominal surgery and it will take time to heal. A friend of mine had the op a week before me and is now waiting for a hernia op at the wound site as he thought that the garden needed weeding!!

Also, the shoulder pain will kick in - it's a reaction to the CO2 inflation of your abdomen and having a paracetemol regime going before it kicks in will make life feel a whole lot better.

Just remember to keep the tip of the penis and the catheter tube up to the joint 100% sterile - never touch with fingers, just a sterile pad dosed in antiseptic. This is vital.

Good luck with the recovery and fingers crossed that they got it all!

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 16:36

Thanks so to all.

Glad things went well, Mark ... especially since we are so close to each other with our scorecard as you suggest.  It's funny I just went and lay down for a brief nap.  I didn't connect to the night bag as I didn't think I'd be that long.  Happily, I wasn't.  I started to panic when I came to thinking there was really nothing in the bag.  I was wrong.  It was just that the urine is now back to its native straw colour and I was relieved.  I've had the shoulder pain - not overly brutal - but only when I lie down it seems as I have to sleep on my right side due to severe foraminal stenosis.  Once settled the pain has disappeared. 

The only thing that I really feel at the moment is the stretch with the clasps at the surgical removal site.  I think I know how a Frankenstein monster might  have felt -- oh, and if I cough I definitely feel it pull - but I'm assuming (well, hoping certainly) that this is normal on the second day back home. 

I have been taking up suggestions from here and actually taking paracetamol every four hours.  I've not yet addressed the dressings.  I'm thinking I will wait just a little while longer for the actual core clasps to settle a bit more.  I won't let it go more than a couple of days.  I have used a series of different materials - (e.g., a sock, a ribbon, a toothbrush, a fork end, etc.) - gently stroking each in turn over the skin - to help re-sensitise it.  (As Steve says this was a major shock to the internal system.)  Someone told me this was helpful ... and I must confess to have found it be so thus far.  I've not yet had any disturbance with the penis end so will leave well enough alone in that department.  It may well come - as I've yet to see day four.  I do have the instillagel at the ready if that were to bite.  

I would SO love to be totally continent like you, Mark.  I SO would.  Because of my work that is the one thing I fear.  Indeed, fear mightily.  I just want to get back int he saddle.  Like you I've got a table of pads laid out and depends underwear.  I am aiming to turn my mind into the sharpest focus possible on that front.  I'm happy to wait another week with the catheter should this prove helpful in that regard.  If it would do any good I would wait even longer.  My BMI - when it's at home - is 21.5.  Like you, Mark, I am hoping with this we can well and truly see the back of this particular (not so) little adventure.  

Thanks for yours, Steve.  I can assure you that I am - (well, I think I am at any rate) - taking things easy.  For me I definitely am.  Certainly I'm not lifting anything.  The idea of another surgery for a hernia at this juncture is not something I would welcome.  Definitely not.  I had never spent a night in a hospital before and I happily would not spend another one.  I have all my food laid out on my kitchen table so I only take any one item from there to use in preparation.  I checked with the surgeon and he said that bending down would not put myself at risk for a hernia.  Still, I'm prudent with that as well.  I have two friends who can do shopping for me and will happily bring it in and lay it out for me.  It is not easy that bit as I'm a very private and independent person - but it is, I know, a necessary evil and I'm grateful for their kindnesses as I am for the many that are continually evidenced on this board.  As with the MDT, this is assuredly a team effort.  

Happy Easter to all.  

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 02:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 17:17

Hi Meunier

The surgery removal site at your belly button will feel a bit sore and uncomfortable for at least 2 weeks.    That is the largest incision unlike the others which are just stab incisions and heal really fast.    I am sure the time taken to remove the catheter depends on one's own surgeon.  He/she knows exactly how much time is required after the actual surgery.     I was surprised mine was taken out at actually a tad under 7 days.  I had the op on a Saturday lunchtime and the catheter was taken out at 8am the next Saturday.    The urology nurse who removed it said she was really confident I would have no problems and she was right.  

I think prostate surgery helps remove any inhibitions that we men may have.    You soon learn to talk about penis size and ED problems and lose any embarrassment.    Also very quickly you appreciate others helping you and are glad to accept help.    This forum is great as there seem to be some very experienced people on here who are several years down the line after RARP or RT/HT treatment regimes.   I only found the forum by chance about 2 weeks ago.  

Gentle increasing exercise is absolutely fine and I am sure helps with general rehab and helps general circulation issues.  

Good luck

Mark

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 14:37

Hi Meunier

I had RP on February 10th, and have found this period of sustained inactivity at times a struggle. I'm 61, fit and active, similar BMI.

On hospital discharge. the urology nurses advised me to walk as much as is comfortable which I maybe took too literally. After the catheter was moved on day 10 I was comfortably walking 4-5 miles a day which drifted up to 8-10 miles daily after a couple of weeks. 

At the follow up surgeon appointment he strongly (and sternly) advised to cut activity levels right down - limiting to walking two miles a day, and reminding me that while the external surgical marks may be slight, don't underestimate the extent of internal healing required. 

Suitably chastened and back in front of the telly. 

Good luck with your recovery - sounds like a positive start! 

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 14:54

Thanks so for yours, C_365.

I have virtually cancelled everything on my schedule for two months from the surgery date. I am teaching two three hour classes on 27th May. That is my next major outing ... My next travel project for work is in Hamburg in the first week of July. I intend to more or less stay put and heal in the interim. I have a large flat and I have been pottering about - much like I did during the pandemic. I take myself on walks (inside) listening to the radio so I know the exact time periods. I'm planning - please God - to be able to return fully fit at the end of this period ... Well, that's the plan. I also have a lot of work to do which I can do here and will keep me mentally occupied - which I too find an important part of one's recovery.

Happily have today been able to relieve myself without straining. That was something I was fearing and am now feeling a certain relief. Here's hoping the rest of the journey can be similarly smooth.

Enjoy the telly. Have a grand Easter.

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 16:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 16:05

Good to hear all your success stories, I’m really pleased for you all.

I would agree with Steve and the consultant not to overdo it…your insides have taken a real battering!

good luck to all of you with your recoveries and spare a thought for all of us HT guys on 2/3 years of Hot Flashes, zero libido, Brain Fog, joint aches, ED, Insomnia, anxiety..and more🤣🤣🤣

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 17:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 18:49

A nicely written piece.  It's good that the surgeon spoke to you after the op.  I've never spoken to mine since the pre-op interview going on for 8yrs ago.   I learnt nothing until 8 weeks later.  Then 3 days after that with an OK from the doc I flew to Australia for 4 weeks, no worries.

Like you I never had any pain and woke up after the op feeling alright.  I was allowed to refuse drugs for the 2 days I was there and walked round the whole ward carrying a leg bag and a blood drainage bag.  The blood drain was the only reason I stayed a second night as it was still flowing.

When the catheter is taken out I found on my first walk I started leaking after a mile and filled the pad without noticing, causing wet trousers.  A spare pad is useful.

If you feel alright it's half of the battle.  It sounds good.  All the best Peter

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 18:52  | Reason: Not specified