Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post RARP PSA level

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 01:11

Hello everyone,

im due to go back to Addenbrookes next week to see my surgeon to discuss my RARP op I had on 9/2/24 and I was told I had to to have a recent PSA blood test prior to that appointment.  I had the blood test 28/3/24 and the result came up on MyChart later the same day.  I was very upset and disappointed to se that the PSA reading was 4.06 when I was expecting it to be pretty much nonexistent.   I’m now worried that the op didn’t work… Anyone else had a similar experience? 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 06:55
My post op PSA nearly 9 years ago was 1.5 and soon after up to 2.4. I took lots of advice and decided the cancer was too much to be just left in the bed. And I had lymph nodes positive for cancer , so I thought the horse had already bolted. I was like a rabbit in headlights and already suffering the consequences of surgery. I declined SRT and HT three times as wanted a QOL. Many scans showed nothing so I was deemed oligomtastatic. My psa climbed to over 1000 before mets were spotted in distant nodes and bones. I’ve been on injectable HT for 3 years now and refused early Enza or Chemo. My mantra was enjoy my life and not spend it all in hospital or having treatment or suffering side effects. I’m 57 this year and will be 9 years on. Generally ok but indications of treatment failing. Good luck
User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 12:24
Sapper, double-check the result. On PATCHS, the PSA result screen shows 4.06 as the threshold for 'normal' so could it be the same on MyChart; e.g. the 4.06 is a statement and not your actual reading?

If that is your reading, worth trying to get another test before your Addenbrookes appointment just in case it is an error but your urologist should refer you straight to oncology when you see him / her next week.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 01:11

Hello everyone,

im due to go back to Addenbrookes next week to see my surgeon to discuss my RARP op I had on 9/2/24 and I was told I had to to have a recent PSA blood test prior to that appointment.  I had the blood test 28/3/24 and the result came up on MyChart later the same day.  I was very upset and disappointed to se that the PSA reading was 4.06 when I was expecting it to be pretty much nonexistent.   I’m now worried that the op didn’t work… Anyone else had a similar experience? 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 07:27

Sapper, what was your pre op PSA reading. I expect another test will be on the cards, hopefully there is an error. A bit unfortunate we are going into a double bank holiday weekend. Your histology report may give your surgeon an indication of any reason for the post op result. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 10:23
Not quite in the same situation but my PSA has risen post RARP (less than 12 months) and so just about to embark on 6 months of hormone therapy and 33 sessions of radiotherapy. My oncologist said that about a third of all RARP patients need further treatment so it wasn't something unexpected.

I'd get a second test to confirm however.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 23:54

Hi Sapper,

Sorry to hear this has happened. Hopefully another test might be better.

I guess all you can do is battle on. Man this cancer is such a life wrecker.

But I thought you had to wait a good 3 months for the PSA levels to be accurate? Maybe after another month or 2 and see what happens. I know I wasn't tested for 3 months. Perhaps it's different here in NZ than the UK.

Stay positive, as hard as that sounds.

Graham

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 06:32

Morning David.

Only yesterday, I was wondering how you were doing.

I've only been on this forum for a few months but can't recall anyone reporting a similar issue. Like you I'd have expected an extremely low or preferably undetectable PSA reading.

What was you PSA, cancer staging and Gleason pre op?

Hopefully your imminent consultation will shed some light on what's occurred.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 06:55
My post op PSA nearly 9 years ago was 1.5 and soon after up to 2.4. I took lots of advice and decided the cancer was too much to be just left in the bed. And I had lymph nodes positive for cancer , so I thought the horse had already bolted. I was like a rabbit in headlights and already suffering the consequences of surgery. I declined SRT and HT three times as wanted a QOL. Many scans showed nothing so I was deemed oligomtastatic. My psa climbed to over 1000 before mets were spotted in distant nodes and bones. I’ve been on injectable HT for 3 years now and refused early Enza or Chemo. My mantra was enjoy my life and not spend it all in hospital or having treatment or suffering side effects. I’m 57 this year and will be 9 years on. Generally ok but indications of treatment failing. Good luck
User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 07:27

Sapper, what was your pre op PSA reading. I expect another test will be on the cards, hopefully there is an error. A bit unfortunate we are going into a double bank holiday weekend. Your histology report may give your surgeon an indication of any reason for the post op result. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 10:23
Not quite in the same situation but my PSA has risen post RARP (less than 12 months) and so just about to embark on 6 months of hormone therapy and 33 sessions of radiotherapy. My oncologist said that about a third of all RARP patients need further treatment so it wasn't something unexpected.

I'd get a second test to confirm however.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 12:24
Sapper, double-check the result. On PATCHS, the PSA result screen shows 4.06 as the threshold for 'normal' so could it be the same on MyChart; e.g. the 4.06 is a statement and not your actual reading?

If that is your reading, worth trying to get another test before your Addenbrookes appointment just in case it is an error but your urologist should refer you straight to oncology when you see him / her next week.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 23:54

Hi Sapper,

Sorry to hear this has happened. Hopefully another test might be better.

I guess all you can do is battle on. Man this cancer is such a life wrecker.

But I thought you had to wait a good 3 months for the PSA levels to be accurate? Maybe after another month or 2 and see what happens. I know I wasn't tested for 3 months. Perhaps it's different here in NZ than the UK.

Stay positive, as hard as that sounds.

Graham

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 00:12

Hi Adrian ,  my first PSA test was 4.7 , the GP then ordered another which was 4.9 … everything then kicked off as a result of that second test.   I don’t know what to make of it …. I guess the consultant will shed some light on it all next week.   

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 00:25

Hi David 

On MyChart how exactly was the PSA result given? I get mine on systmonline my last result was recorded as <0.02 ug/L [<4.5]

The [<4.5] part initially caused me concern but I think that refers to the threshold for normal level. Which Lyn mentions in her post.

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 00:43  | Reason: Typo