Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Need advise on Advice on Prostate Cancer Treatment Options

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 11:12

Hello there,

I'm reaching out to this forum seeking advice and guidance regarding treatment options for prostate cancer.

Recently diagnosed, I find myself at a crossroads, unsure of which path to take in terms of treatment. My medical team has provided me with several options, each with its own set of potential benefits and risks. I understand that every case is unique, but I would greatly appreciate hearing from those who have navigated similar decisions.

Specifically, I'm interested in learning more about experiences with various treatment modalities such as surgery, radiation therapy, hormone therapy, or active surveillance. What factors did you consider when making your decision? How did you weigh the pros and cons of each option? And, most importantly, what advice would you offer to someone like me who is grappling with this decision?

Any insights, personal stories, or resources you could share would be immensely helpful as I navigate this challenging journey.

Thank you in advance for your support and guidance.

Edited by moderator 29 Mar 2024 at 21:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 08:25

elija is almost certainly a bot.

Take a close look at the language.

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 08:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 08:16

The moderators have removed the posts I have reported in the last couple of days,I wonder if this thread has been reported,or perhaps the mods are just keeping an eye on it. 

Just a note on reporting, keep it short, if you write too much it doesn't work.

Thanks Chris 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 21:24

Hi elija,

I've just checked your profile and it states that you're aged 25.  Is that correct?  You seem very young to be grappling with a diagnosis of Prostate Cancer.  You haven't given any information about your Gleason Grade or Cancer Stage.

I can only tell you of my experience.  I had a diagnosis of Prostate Cancer in May 2022 and opted for surgery, which took place in June 22.  Prior to the surgery, my Gleason Score from a biopsy was estimated as Gleason 7 (3+4) and a Cancer Stage T2c.  However, after the surgery they completed a dissection of the gland and the diagnosis changed to Gleason 7 (4+3) and Stage T3a (because the cancer was protruding from the prostate).  This demonstrates that the biopsy is only a 'best guess'.  Stage 4 cancer is more aggressive, so there was more '4' than '3' in my case.

The adverse effects of treatments vary widely form person to person.  In my own case, I have had significant urinary incontinence and erectile dysfunction, but these are still improving.  As a general rule, it seems that those issues are much more common after surgery.  However, people who have radiation with hormone therapy tend to have significantly reduced libido, so may have no interest in sex, and may have irritation to bowels caused by radiation of the prostate.

You're between a rock and a hard place.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 03:21

I wonder also about whether elija is 25 years old. I know a diagnosis is possible at that age but it would be so rare that I can't remember anyone so young a person on this forum having been diagnosed. Age is an important consideration when deciding treatment and this along with experiences of treatment for men here may well have much less relevance in your case. Furthermore, treatment in the USA may vary from the treatment provided in the UK. There is also the possibility that the relatively small number of men relating there experiences here on this forum may not provide a truly representative experience for each type of treatment offered and may well also differ due to their individual diagnosis, the type of PCa they have and the way their bodies respond. Ultimately, whatever men say here and even what your clinicians say, and they are in the best position to advise you, it will fall to you to decide what is best for you. This means not only considering treatment but potential side effects and how they might affect you. Then there are other factors such as with Surgery and Radiation how experienced is the surgeon that would do your Prostatectomy and the Radiologists that would administer your Radiation and do they have the most advanced equipment? As regards AS some men decide they would rather have their Prostate out or delay treatment for as long as they can reasonably do so with regular monitoring which needs to be very good.

You can go on car forums and read surveys and get a pretty good idea of what owners experience with a particular model but with PCa it's not like that. There are so many variations that in almost all cases men are on an individual often unpredictable journey, many experiencing quite different results from what are basically often ostensibly similar diagnosis and treatment.

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 05:14  | Reason: auto correct gave wrong word

Barry
User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 08:25

elija is almost certainly a bot.

Take a close look at the language.

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 08:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 08:36

Hi Jules.

Nice to see you back.👍

I thought it was a bit AI like, there have been several recently but most have links attached. 

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 08:38  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 12:18
Definitely an AI bot - reported to admin
User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 11:49

Thanks for the support Adrian. This is the club we can never leave though, isn't it?

Jules

Edited by member 01 Apr 2024 at 11:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 12:30

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks for the support Adrian. This is the club we can never leave though, isn't it?

Jules

Very true Jules.

It's like The Hotel California, "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 18:42

I realise that some participants in discussion forums might be bots, but normally there would be either an economic/commercial or a sociopolitical motivation behind them. 

What advantage could anyone gain by deploying a bot to ask a generalised question about pros & cons of the various treatments for prostate cancer?

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 20:25

I realise that some participants in discussion forums might be bots, but normally there would be either an economic/commercial or a sociopolitical motivation behind them. 

What advantage could anyone gain by deploying a bot to ask a generalised question about pros & cons of the various treatments for prostate cancer?

I too don't understand what they get out of it. Of late some of the first time posts have included links to other sites. Some reply to posts that are up to eight years old, Other copy our genuine posts and pass them off as their own. Others use the quote reply then add a link to other sites.  I think there is another spam / spoof post going on at the moment. All we can do is be vigilant and report suspicious posts to admin. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 22:44

In some cases it is about being able to pm other members and then spam or clone them. Fortunately, this forum doesn't allow new members to contact existing members straightaway which I guess will put a bot off.

I find it more perplexing when we get a troll - someone pretending to have cancer or pretending to be the bereft relative. Weirdos or ill :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 07:29
I find it crazy that despite multiple reports, no-one has been able to remove this thread/AI bot
User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 08:16

The moderators have removed the posts I have reported in the last couple of days,I wonder if this thread has been reported,or perhaps the mods are just keeping an eye on it. 

Just a note on reporting, keep it short, if you write too much it doesn't work.

Thanks Chris