Show search

Notification

Error

Quick ? re RP Clips Post Op

User
Posted 31 Mar 2024 at 22:22

Hi Friends,

Just a quick question .... 

I had my operation on Wednesday afternoon and was out Thursday by 11am.  I'm basically doing OK ... but the one thing that is bothering me - only because I'm unsure whether it is normal or not - and of course it has to be on an Easter Weekend - is that I have been CLIPPED.  (I so wish now I'd been glued!!)  I feel like the Frankenstein monster.  I can feel my skin tug/stretch against the clips/staples.  Is this normal?  Personally I have no idea.  It can hurt if I find myself twisting in a direction the clips/staples don't like.  It has only happened twice and there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it.  Other times it is fine.  

Has anyone else been clipped at a similar point?  Did you experience the same?  If so was there anything you did to try to alleviate the situation?  This is my only outstanding concern at the moment.  All else is progressing it seems well.

Thanks as ever for your kind consideration.  

(I would have put this on my RP account page - but was fearful no one might look at it.) 

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 08:50

Hi, I was stapled. They were tight and a constant irritation. As time went on they started to loosen and snagged on clothing and bedding. Mine were removed on day ten, the same day as my TWOC, which was a huge relief. 

Best take it easy and make sure everything is clean, and watch for signs of infection. 

Good luck. 

Kev.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 09:50

I would say the irritation remained fairly constant, but changed from being really tight at the beginning, to being annoying as they loosened up over time when they would catch and move on contact with clothing. By day ten, it almost felt as if some of them were leaving of their own free will. 

Hopefully time will fly by and you'll be rid of them soon. It will feel great once they're out but still take things easy. 

I recall another member here was glued and one of his wounds became unstuck, unfortunately I can't remember his name. 

Kev.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Mar 2024 at 23:09
If turning or twisting causes pain, that should be telling you not to turn or twist? You have had major surgery, even though the wounds on the outside are small. If you had been glued, you might have been tempted to turn or twist too far and cause some damage!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Mar 2024 at 23:12

I thought my keyholes were stitched. I pulled them out when they itched?

User
Posted 31 Mar 2024 at 23:12

Thanks, Lyn. Much appreciated.

I can assure you - the pain - when it pinches - is only on the surface - only the skin attached to the staples. 

Perhaps I should best be grateful for/guided by the advice this device offers as you suggest.

There is no question but that it is instructive.

Edited by member 31 Mar 2024 at 23:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Mar 2024 at 23:18

Thanks, Adrian.

Yours may well have been stitched.  

It is my understanding - when dealing with a LRP - the core incision can be either 'stitched, glued or clipped'.  I was stapled - for my sins.  No question of that.  These are decisions that are made under the best guidance of the particular surgeon I'm sure.  

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 08:50

Hi, I was stapled. They were tight and a constant irritation. As time went on they started to loosen and snagged on clothing and bedding. Mine were removed on day ten, the same day as my TWOC, which was a huge relief. 

Best take it easy and make sure everything is clean, and watch for signs of infection. 

Good luck. 

Kev.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 09:25

Oh, Kev - THANKS SO FOR THIS.  This makes TOTAL SENSE of MY situation.  I am so, SO very grateful.  You explain EXACTLY what I am feeling.  Everything else is perfectly fine.  Bless you.  It's just that I thought I was going mad - or, perhaps, in some point of danger.  Just knowing that I'm seemingly not is a great relief in and of itself.  Bless you.

I don't have these things removed until 9th April - that's eight days from now.  Can I ask - since you have practical experience in this regard - as the clips did loosen did the agitation get less?  Was it entirely relieved with their removal?  Is there anything else I should know or might do? I'm not aware of any leakage from the clips.  I have been looking to see if there is any fluid or streak marks.

There is a substantial part of me that so wishes I had been glued!!

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 09:50

I would say the irritation remained fairly constant, but changed from being really tight at the beginning, to being annoying as they loosened up over time when they would catch and move on contact with clothing. By day ten, it almost felt as if some of them were leaving of their own free will. 

Hopefully time will fly by and you'll be rid of them soon. It will feel great once they're out but still take things easy. 

I recall another member here was glued and one of his wounds became unstuck, unfortunately I can't remember his name. 

Kev.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 10:03
Brilliant, Kev. Once again, thanks so.