I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Husband's PSA 17, MRI: PI-RAD 5

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 16:44

Hello, I'm new to this site, but could do with some support. My 72 year old husband had a review of a new (taken for only 3 months) medicine recently. He mentioned that he noticed he needed to pee more often (a common side effect of Duloxetine which he was taking for post-vaccination nerve damage). His GP ordered a PSA. It came back at 17, and an MRI scan a fortnight later: PI-RAD 5.  Both of us know this indicates a very high probability of significant prostate cancer. 

We were away on holiday when given the MRI results by phone and are still away until 19 April because the first appt he could get for a bone scan is 22 April. And he doesn't have an appt for the biopsy yet. 

Weirdly, he has not a single one of the more obvious symptoms of prostate cancer. His peeing has returned to normal since dropping the Duloxetine a few weeks ago. Waiting while living completely normally and trying to enjoy ourselves is sometimes difficult for me, but that's what I feel I should do. Any advice? Any signposting? 

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 19:49

That's not the sort of news you want to hear at any time let alone in the middle of a holiday. It is easy to start speculating but until your husband gets the biopsy and results you have just got to sit tight. Bone scans are pretty routine part of the diagnosis process so don't read too much into that. I'm not sure what obvious symptoms of prostate cancer you are referring to. There aren't any unless it is very advanced. Peeing more often tends to be more commonly a sign of an enlarged prostate but it would usually be a trigger for investigation. Feel free to ask questions as things progress.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 20:13

Thank you, Chris. It may seem strange, but it's a relief to put what has happened so far into writing, and simply be 'heard'. I was hovering between reality and unreality before. I've obviously asked my lovely husband how I can best help him, and he said he would like us just to be our everyday selves, on holiday. I'm a problem-focused coper, but this is one I can't solve, so I think you are right, and he is right too. This is going on the back burner, unless he opens up the conversation. 

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 20:19

Unfortunately, waiting is part of the deal, and it can be one of the hardest parts. Test, wait; consult, wait; scan/biopsy, wait; treat, wait. And even at the far end there is the repeated wait for the next PSA check...

The underlying reality is that the cancer has been present for some considerable time, and you have lived with it quite happily. The big difference of course is that you now know about it, and you can't ignore that knowledge.

This is much easier said than done, but everyone here has been in the same place and - assuming that you are on a medical track in which you have confidence- the only thing you can genuinely control right now is how you feel about things. Carry on doing what you enjoy, and practice putting your  concerns into a box. They won't go away but you can definitely get better at putting them into perspective.

Best of luck 

User
Posted 01 Apr 2024 at 20:26

Hi lemony, it would have been more of a surprise if he did not have cancer. At age 72 about 72% of men have cancer. The real question is, how aggressive is it? PIRADS 5 tells you nothing about how aggressive the cancer is, though it is a strong indicator that there is cancer. Though you wouldn't think it from reading this forums. Most men over 70 have prostate cancer and it is never diagnosed and never becomes a problem, they die of something else first. Enjoy your holiday, and suggest to him that he takes up some dangerous activity (bungee jumps, paragliding). Obviously if he survives the dangerous activity and you return from the holiday, get the cancer investigated and either carefully watched or treated.

Edited by member 02 Apr 2024 at 09:32  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 07:40
Hi Lemony - you are in the right place for support and there are literally hundreds of men who have gone through or are going through exactly the same situation - unfortunately it is quite common but the upside is that it is very well understood and the treatments are well proven and in most cases very effective.

As olefogey said, probably the worst part is the waiting and letting your mind wander and think the worst - in almost all cases it resolves into something, whilst not ideal, is very manageable.

He will likely have the option for surgery or hormone and radio therapy - both are very effective at curing or managing the disease and although there are side effects, we cope with them through various methods and solutions.

Fingers crossed for you for the scans and keep asking questions - as I said, the forum is full of people going through the same - not just the men but also their family members.

Steve

User
Posted 19 Apr 2024 at 08:28

It may sound crazy, but putting everything down on paper and just being "heard" is a relief. Prior to this, I was vacillating between the real and geometry dash lite the fantastic. We should just be ourselves on vacation, according to my wonderful husband, who I have asked how I may be of service to him.

Edited by member 22 Apr 2024 at 02:59  | Reason: Not specified