Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Who do you talk too?

User
Posted 18 Apr 2024 at 13:53

My wife is useless, no interest "she's always been like that" 

I don't tell or discuss anything with her as it just makes me angry and frustrated.

I feel it's wrong to burden my sister or either of my children 29 & 21, they know I have cancer but I don't discuss how I feel

Any suggestions?

I have one mate who is pretty good and a friend of my son who has had the same diagnosis and the full removal "same as I'm having" just had a 2 minute call with him 

I'm not in the UK although I'll have the op in England 

User
Posted 18 Apr 2024 at 18:25

Wife, friends (male), other cancer survivors. I spare my son (25) as much as I can.

You might be surprised how sympathetic your male friends can be. 

User
Posted 18 Apr 2024 at 19:35

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

My wife is useless, no interest "she's always been like that" 

I don't tell or discuss anything with her as it just makes me angry and frustrated.

Hi Andy.

That's disappointing, especially as this disease, can stretch relationships to their limits.

Of course you'll find folk on here will do their best to help you and the PCUK nurses are always there for a chat. 

If you'd prefer face to face, there will probably be a support group near you.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2024 at 19:44

Hi Andy,

I am so sorry to hear you are in that difficult and potentially lonely place. Someone will pop up here very shortly and suggest you contact your local Maggies support group. I have no personal experience of them, but those who have,  speak very highly of them.

I'm going to supplement that with something a bit off the wall: Talk to yourself. A significant part of 'talking' is about finding your own words to articulate your thoughts, feelings, fears and hopes. It's about working stuff out and it's often the act of making it discussible which is the critical first step. At the end of the day, you have to come to terms with all this by yourself and for yourself.

That's not to say that interaction with other people won't help. It will. But many people who are not inside this particular bubble will really struggle to know what to say to you, and that's not their fault. 

This is a great forum, packed with people who really do understand. If you need to vent, or ask questions, or just share; this is a good place. But start with yourself..... 

User
Posted 19 Apr 2024 at 18:51

Hi Andy,

I DO have personal experience of Maggies, I have been a member of the support groups in Fife for 18 months and it has been incredibly helpful. I was at the monthly PCa Networking Group this afternoon. As well as attending the meetings I’ve have made many friends and we meet often outside the meetings. The things is about these groups is that all the men are in the same position as yourself…..and they just GET IT! Some will have a far worse prognosis as you and some will be already cured and there to offer support to new members….I think we maybe had 4 or 5 today and it’s so good to be able to offer them both practical and emotional support.

I agree it might not be for everyone(including me I thought) but you won’t know until you’ve tried it.

Good luck,

Derek