I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Lymphocytes blood count

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 22:35

Well the pulled muscle in my back appears to be getting better🤞however had a full blood count last week and results all normal apart from me being 0.9 on my Lymphocytes count. Think it’s supposed to be between 1-5. They have looked back on all my records throughout my life and this appears the norm level for me. They want me to go on the 3rd May to have them all done again. This might be because of the cancer treatment I have had. They’ve told me not to worry. I have today however felt unwell and have shivering all day. My mind again starts to go on overdrive! The thing this disease does to your mind is unreal! Currently lay in bed with about 3 blankets on, fleece on and bob hat with a hot bottle! All I need now is a hot sweat to start 🤣 It will take me 30 mins to get the blankets off!

Andy 

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 20:10

Andy, I take immunosuppressants to keep an autoimmune disease under control. This results in a consistently low lymphocyte count. Yours is on the low side but not worryingly low. However you raise an interesting question as to whether it is to do with the cancer treatment. I have my bloods checked every three months and there was quite a notable step change in my lymphocyte count after I finished salvage radiotherapy. 

1.7, 1.4, 1.3, 1.2, 1.1 (SRT) 0.37, 0.64, 0.67, 0.7, 0.67, 0.68. Prior to SRT the count has never been lower than 1.1. Lymphocytes form in the bone marrow, so I can't see how RT to the prostate bed would have any impact. Maybe it's just coincidence 🤔. 

The consultant monitoring my autoimmune disease is not concerned about my current lymphocyte count so you don't have anything to immediately worry about at 0.9. Nevertheless it should be checked out.

Chris

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 20:59

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Andy, I take immunosuppressants to keep an autoimmune disease under control. This results in a consistently low lymphocyte count. Yours is on the low side but not worryingly low. However you raise an interesting question as to whether it is to do with the cancer treatment. I have my bloods checked every three months and there was quite a notable step change in my lymphocyte count after I finished salvage radiotherapy. 

1.7, 1.4, 1.3, 1.2, 1.1 (SRT) 0.37, 0.64, 0.67, 0.7, 0.67, 0.68. Prior to SRT the count has never been lower than 1.1. Lymphocytes form in the bone marrow, so I can't see how RT to the prostate bed would have any impact. Maybe it's just coincidence 🤔. 

The consultant monitoring my autoimmune disease is not concerned about my current lymphocyte count so you don't have anything to immediately worry about at 0.9. Nevertheless it should be checked out.

Chris

Cheers Chris. Will see what the blood count is after the set of bloods on the 3rd May. I will also ask for this to be repeated every 3 months thereafter. Thank you for the heads up. Should I ask for immunesuppressants?

Andy

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 22:35

Andy, sorry if my last post is confusing. I take immunosuppressants for a completely different condition (Vasculitis). If your immune system (lymphocytes) is weak, the last thing you want to be asking for is immunosuppressants. The three monthly blood tests I have are because of my Vasculitis and the medication I take. No need for you to have three monthly blood tests but you will probably need to have some follow-up blood tests to see if your lymphocyte count returns to the normal range.