I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Travelling after prostatectomy

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 07:26

I no longer live in the UK but I'm having my op here, I thought Id be stuck here for 2 weeks but yesterday they told me I can't fly for 6 weeks, I want and need to get home.

Choices 

1. Fly and risk dvt (4:30 hours)

2. Drive approx 30 hours driving and 2 boats totalling 45 hours 

I have a car in the UK, I could take it and scrap it the other end (only worth £1500)

I think a motorbike is out of the question 

Suggestions please 

I'm of the thought driving is the only option 

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 08:45

Hi Andy,

I didn’t have the Op, but the guys I know through Maggies would certainly NOT be able to undertake that type of journey so soon after their Ops. They are quite sore, fatigued and some find it uncomfortable to sit for long periods.

Also what if something goes wrong en-route?

Just my observation but IMHO I think you’d be safer booking into an airBnB for a few weeks or staying with friends/family.

Good Luck!

Derek

Edited by member 25 Apr 2024 at 08:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 09:26

Hi Andy, 

Probably best to ask your surgeon about driving. When I had my op I was told not to drive for 6 weeks. There may also be an issue with insurance if you drive. 

I agree with Derek, see if you can stay somewhere for a few weeks. Or at least until you're free of the catheter when you have a better idea of how your recovery is going. 

It's a difficult situation I know and we all just want to be home after a procedure, but I think it's best to play safe until you're through the worst of it.

Good luck. 

Kev.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 22:15

Wow Andy, that’s a lot to lose.😱 I’ve put on about 7kg since starting HT and am trying to lose it again, but it’s NOT easy. I’m going on a cruise in August and that’s my motivation. I find using Herbalife products works for me, my son is a distributor and he’s looking after me. Your motivation is to get the mothership removed so hopefully you can achieve it.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Derek

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 15:08

This is not a helpful comment, Andy62; I'm sure his surgeon doesn't work in isolation. And none of us know his exact cancer staging/medical history. The surgeon will have discussed this at his own MDT where an oncologist would have been present and had an opinion. 

Edited by member 30 Apr 2024 at 15:10  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 08:45

Hi Andy,

I didn’t have the Op, but the guys I know through Maggies would certainly NOT be able to undertake that type of journey so soon after their Ops. They are quite sore, fatigued and some find it uncomfortable to sit for long periods.

Also what if something goes wrong en-route?

Just my observation but IMHO I think you’d be safer booking into an airBnB for a few weeks or staying with friends/family.

Good Luck!

Derek

Edited by member 25 Apr 2024 at 08:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 09:26

Hi Andy, 

Probably best to ask your surgeon about driving. When I had my op I was told not to drive for 6 weeks. There may also be an issue with insurance if you drive. 

I agree with Derek, see if you can stay somewhere for a few weeks. Or at least until you're free of the catheter when you have a better idea of how your recovery is going. 

It's a difficult situation I know and we all just want to be home after a procedure, but I think it's best to play safe until you're through the worst of it.

Good luck. 

Kev.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 10:38

Andy, at the last pre op I had a couple of years ago, the nurse said they had altered their advice to include not making long car journeys after surgery.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 11:19

As others have said, that is quite an ambitious journey after an operation. It's fairly unlikely you would be insured to drive. Can you get someone else to do the driving?

Dave

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 14:17

Update 

Saw the surgeon at my pre operation meeting, he has refused to operate at this moment because I'm too overweight, I need to lose 33kgs. Reasoning, because weight causes an issue, 2. With extra fat they can't be sure to get all the cancer 3. Recovery is worse, higher risk/quantity of incontinence 

Also gives me this time to get my leg over 😂 

He also confirmed "I will have zero feeling in my penis" there will be no sex or opportunity for stimulation as they will be removing the nerves

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 15:08

Hi Andy.

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Indeed it will. How long will it take to lose over 5 stone?

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 15:44

Update

He also confirmed "I will have zero feeling in my penis" there will be no sex or opportunity for stimulation as they will be removing the nerves

Not sure why he would say no feeling in the penis, some guys mention their orgasms are too intense. I describe mine as our of this world. There should be sex but it will be different and may need a lot more work. I was supposedly non nerve sparing. Have fun and never give up.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 19:26

Hi Andy.

Indeed it will. How long will it take to lose over 5 stone?

To start with the surgeon was referring to 6 months and after he checked my weight/BMI he started to refer to 12 months. I've never tried to lose that much weight or better described as 30% of my current weight, I'd imagine 1 year will be very hard work but potentially achievable.

Step by step 😂 

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 22:15

Wow Andy, that’s a lot to lose.😱 I’ve put on about 7kg since starting HT and am trying to lose it again, but it’s NOT easy. I’m going on a cruise in August and that’s my motivation. I find using Herbalife products works for me, my son is a distributor and he’s looking after me. Your motivation is to get the mothership removed so hopefully you can achieve it.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Derek

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 22:26

Have you had any discussion about radiotherapy as an alternative to surgery? The outcomes are comparable and it may be that with your risk factors it may be a better alternative to surgery? 

User
Posted 26 Apr 2024 at 18:57

I have a car in the UK, I could take it and scrap it the other end (only worth £1500)

I don't know what country you are travelling to, but that would almost certainly count as importing a fully functional car into the country and it will be subject to import duty and taxes, possibly based on the original list price.

Bureaucracy about waste disposal means scrapping may require a lot of official paperwork and the illegal import will be detected then.

You could chop it in to little pieces and drop it in people's rubbish bins. If you know the Johnny Cash song 'one piece at a time' you would be doing the opposite.

Dave

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 10:55

I honestly don't know, the doctor was talking about a year so I think that's also in my head, but I'm just trying to lose weight, no goals, no timescales. I'm trying as hard as I can, I'm borderline keto so seeing what effect that has over 3-4 weeks and if the going in and out prevents weight loss, I'll switch to keto 

I'm a vegetarian who occasionally eats fish, keto is very difficult as a veggie 

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 10:57

The surgeon explained why not radiotherapy, I'm happy with his explanation 

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 11:01

Fortunately my op has been put off, now we have a plan, aware of the import tax etc, wouldn't bother as it's a rhd in a left handed country, however that car here costs 8000+ so I'd scrap it for spares, I'd be able to sell all the parts as it's a very popular car here.

Thanks for your thoughts 👍

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 11:40

Advice about radiotherapy needs to come from a radiation oncologist, not a surgeon.

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 13:25

Advice about radiotherapy needs to come from a radiation oncologist, not a surgeon.

How do I go about seeing one of these?

Going private might be better so the surgeon doesn't find out.

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 13:34

I've just emailed Nuffield, thanks for the suggestion 

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 15:08

This is not a helpful comment, Andy62; I'm sure his surgeon doesn't work in isolation. And none of us know his exact cancer staging/medical history. The surgeon will have discussed this at his own MDT where an oncologist would have been present and had an opinion. 

Edited by member 30 Apr 2024 at 15:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 15:10

Andy M, don't hide your second opinion from your surgeon. He won't mind you doing this and he may be helpful by supplying you with the necessary info you need to have a sensible second opinion. Showing up without all the necessary stuff will cost you money and you'll walk away dissatisfied.