I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

11 Years On Post RARP!

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 14:55

Hello to everyone who wishes they had not had to join this forum.

A positive story that everyone needs to hear:

I am almost 11 years post op and 12 years post diagnosis and pleased to announce that I am still living a very normal life thanks to early diagnosis, being a fit cyclist and our choice of surgeon.

I was 49 when first diagnosed following a TURP that tested 3+3 Gleason T2c.  Had to wait several months before robotic radical prostatectomy due to TURP recovery and salvage op.

Still receiving PSA 6 monthly at age of 61 and all readings been 0.03.  Have to wear thinnest Tena Extra Light Pads now, but for piece of mind really as odd dribble, but small price to pay and have been lucky enough to lead a normal life for 11 more years.

Didn't really suffer from any erectile issues at all after a few weeks and still don't after 11 years!

I would encourage every man to spread the word to their male friends & family to get tested regularly for the best chance of catching early.

I am one of the lucky ones who can tell this positive story… Things have improved so much medically compared to 11 years ago and PC is in the media much more too.

My old conversations from 2013/2014 are still there under the old forum heading, if you wish to look back at the more detailed stage by stage events...

Best regards

Mark

Edited by member 30 Apr 2024 at 16:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 14:55

Hello to everyone who wishes they had not had to join this forum.

A positive story that everyone needs to hear:

I am almost 11 years post op and 12 years post diagnosis and pleased to announce that I am still living a very normal life thanks to early diagnosis, being a fit cyclist and our choice of surgeon.

I was 49 when first diagnosed following a TURP that tested 3+3 Gleason T2c.  Had to wait several months before robotic radical prostatectomy due to TURP recovery and salvage op.

Still receiving PSA 6 monthly at age of 61 and all readings been 0.03.  Have to wear thinnest Tena Extra Light Pads now, but for piece of mind really as odd dribble, but small price to pay and have been lucky enough to lead a normal life for 11 more years.

Didn't really suffer from any erectile issues at all after a few weeks and still don't after 11 years!

I would encourage every man to spread the word to their male friends & family to get tested regularly for the best chance of catching early.

I am one of the lucky ones who can tell this positive story… Things have improved so much medically compared to 11 years ago and PC is in the media much more too.

My old conversations from 2013/2014 are still there under the old forum heading, if you wish to look back at the more detailed stage by stage events...

Best regards

Mark

Edited by member 30 Apr 2024 at 16:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 15:47

Thank you Mark.

. It's fantastic to hear good news. 

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 16:00
Thanks for sharing Mark…great to read good news stories and a good positive outcome, which everyone hopes for!
User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 16:24

Adrian,

I took a quick peak at your stories and could see initially you were on Active Surveillance for a while.

I was initially trying to be persuaded to go on AS by oncologist, but mentally I could not cope with that and opted for Robotic Radical Prostatectomy in Harley Street as both my father at 53 & Grandfather both had PCa too! 

I'm please I did as it was anterior where largest cancer, just about to break through. 

As I stated in my story I am very lucky.

Thanks

Mark

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 21:48
Great news Mark. The only thing is that there isn't really a good test for a middle-aged male who has no other symptoms - PSA is notoriously misleading on its own (unless really high). But I would have benefited if I had asked as soon as I realised I had urinary frequency issues.
User
Posted 13 Jul 2024 at 10:22

Everyone’s different of course but I had similar concerns approaching RP surgery. I’m 61, quite fit, and was unused to prolonged periods without regular exercise.

I had surgery in February and the surgeon’s clear advice was no exercise for 3 months and definitely no weights. Light jogging and gentle swimming was possible at 3 months with a recommendation to run on soft surfaces rather than roads / pavements etc. At month 4 the Urology nurse was fine for more regular exercise and now, at month 5, back to usual (running/swimming 2-3 times a week, lots of walking). Continence is generally not bad – although wish I’d started PFs earlier pre surgery).

What I’m not doing is anything affecting the core (sit-ups obviously deeply unwise) and the surgeon advised bench press type weights – i.e. pressure on shoulders not on core. I’m seeing the surgeon again in August and take further guidance then.

The real challenge was feeling fit and able to exercise but knowing rest was essential.

Recovery can vary enormously of course. I feel hugely grateful that it’s passed pretty smoothly so far and very aware that outcomes are never certain.

Good luck

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 15:47

Thank you Mark.

. It's fantastic to hear good news. 

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 16:00
Thanks for sharing Mark…great to read good news stories and a good positive outcome, which everyone hopes for!
User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 16:24

Adrian,

I took a quick peak at your stories and could see initially you were on Active Surveillance for a while.

I was initially trying to be persuaded to go on AS by oncologist, but mentally I could not cope with that and opted for Robotic Radical Prostatectomy in Harley Street as both my father at 53 & Grandfather both had PCa too! 

I'm please I did as it was anterior where largest cancer, just about to break through. 

As I stated in my story I am very lucky.

Thanks

Mark

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 16:28

DJC,

How is your husband doing now?

Sounds like he went through a bit of an ordeal during & post surgery.

Mark

User
Posted 30 Apr 2024 at 21:48
Great news Mark. The only thing is that there isn't really a good test for a middle-aged male who has no other symptoms - PSA is notoriously misleading on its own (unless really high). But I would have benefited if I had asked as soon as I realised I had urinary frequency issues.
User
Posted 12 Jul 2024 at 18:42

Great to hear. May I ask how soon you were able to get back to vigorous exercise after the op?

I currently exercise every day alternating between jogging and weights and love how it makes me feel. 

Realise I'll not be able to do it for several months but if its going to be years, may opt for Active surveillance instead.

User
Posted 13 Jul 2024 at 10:22

Everyone’s different of course but I had similar concerns approaching RP surgery. I’m 61, quite fit, and was unused to prolonged periods without regular exercise.

I had surgery in February and the surgeon’s clear advice was no exercise for 3 months and definitely no weights. Light jogging and gentle swimming was possible at 3 months with a recommendation to run on soft surfaces rather than roads / pavements etc. At month 4 the Urology nurse was fine for more regular exercise and now, at month 5, back to usual (running/swimming 2-3 times a week, lots of walking). Continence is generally not bad – although wish I’d started PFs earlier pre surgery).

What I’m not doing is anything affecting the core (sit-ups obviously deeply unwise) and the surgeon advised bench press type weights – i.e. pressure on shoulders not on core. I’m seeing the surgeon again in August and take further guidance then.

The real challenge was feeling fit and able to exercise but knowing rest was essential.

Recovery can vary enormously of course. I feel hugely grateful that it’s passed pretty smoothly so far and very aware that outcomes are never certain.

Good luck

User
Posted 13 Jul 2024 at 11:20

That's really helpful.

Thank you!

Simon