Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy side effects

User
Posted 03 May 2024 at 04:58

Hi all

i had my biopsy three weeks ago and I am still getting discomfort at he needle site, it is not painful as such, it just feels like I am sitting straddled across a scaffolding pole.

Has anyone else had this , everything I read states it should only last a week or two.

Jus wondering if I need to be concerned.

User
Posted 03 May 2024 at 14:30

I had a little discomfort on my bicycle saddle but nothing too bad and nothing when sitting down. Everyone heals differently though and maybe it depends on how many samples were taken? Why  not give your CNS a phone?

Hope you’re ok.

Derek

User
Posted 04 May 2024 at 00:22

For me it lasted a number of weeks also. I'm guessing it could be totally random depending on where the intricacies of the tool goes through your body. But when you think about what they are actually doing, which is quite horrific in its own way, I'm not surprised it can take weeks to heal.

I sometimes wonder if I had phantom pain as the experience was quite traumatic from a mental perspective, but when my wife laughs and reminds me I've had way worse in previous operations, my common sense tends to prevail.

Having said that they do make it very clear to take the infection risk seriously and be a little cautious.

Edited by member 04 May 2024 at 00:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 May 2024 at 07:45

Well I had a call from the CNS yesterday to give me the full breakdown of my illness.

Gleason 3+3, 7 cores from 20 all one side in the transitional zone no extra extension ( contained within the prostate at what she called the apex. Prostate volume 39cc PSA density 0.22 maximum tumour length 2mm. She said the tumour itself was measured at 10mm x 0.8 mm.

I received my patient folder through the post as well, it had “Active Surveillance” written all over it. I asked about this and the discomfort, she said the discomfort was normal but keep an eye on it but to contact my GP if it doesn’t ease. With regards to the AS, she said there were seven or eight gents in the same grouping reviewed at the MDT meeting and all were put on AS. I asked about other options and she said if I was not in favour of AS the she would forward my case from Barnstaple to the team in Exeter, this gave me the impression they did not intend to do this anyway. I thought this a little odd as if they were limiting my options for treatment and not offering the choice.

All good fun

Paul

User
Posted 04 May 2024 at 08:36

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I received my patient folder through the post as well, it had “Active Surveillance” written all over it.

Hi Paul.

Your results appear good and suitable for AS. It's an option that's being taken more often.

https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2022/prostate-cancer-active-surveillance-increasing

I think the Protect Trial highlighted that for low grade, low volume cancer, AS was as successful as other radical treatments. 

https://prostatecanceruk.org/for-health-professionals/resources/active-surveillance-hub/evidence-based-resources#:~:text=In%20March%202023%2C%20the%20ProtecT,regardless%20of%20the%20treatment%20assigned

My only advice would be, ensure that you're monitored correctly.

Best of luck mate

Edited by member 04 May 2024 at 08:42  | Reason: Add link