I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Veggie diet has benefits?

User
Posted 05 May 2024 at 21:04

A study was mentioned in the Times a few days ago.   This claimed that people who ate more fruit and veg were found to be more likely to have slower progression.   A short piece of the article is below.

'Men from the Cancer of the Prostate Strategic Urologic Research Endeavor (CaPSURE) study were asked to list the vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, meat and dairy they ate each day.

The team split the men into groups based on the amount of plants they ate. The group that ate the most consumed an average of nearly two more servings of fruits and vegetables, about one more serving of whole grains and one less serving of dairy each day than the group that who ate the least.

The scientists then measured how long it took for the disease to progress in any way. Of the 2,000 men taking part, 190 experienced some form of progression with their cancer during the period of the study.

The men with the highest levels of plants in their diets were found to have a 47 per cent lower likelihood of the disease progressing further when compared with those who ate the least amount of plants.

The researchers said that larger-scale studies were needed to inform policy and recommendations for those receiving a cancer diagnosis.'

I keep meaning to look for more information but haven't got round to it.

User
Posted 08 May 2024 at 02:02

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I have been taking evening primrose oil capsules for years and it turns out its a 5Alphareductase inhibitor - it prevents testosterone from converting into DHT which is the driver of prostate cancer so my husband takes it as well now

It would be lovely if 5ARIs could be used to control prostate cancer, because we have cheap drugs which can switch off the isomers of DHT which the prostate uses, and these have far fewer side effects than switching off Testosterone. This has been tested, more than once, but unfortunately it doesn't work. It looks like it should, but it doesn't.

One thing 5ARIs do however is to lower your PSA without lowering your prostate cancer risk, so if you're monitoring prostate cancer treatment or progression with PSA, then 5ARIs can mess up those readings. In the case of the drugs Finasteride and Dutasteride, we know how to correct the readings (you have to double them), but for any herbal 5ARI, no one is going to know what the effective dose is or how to correct PSA readings.

User
Posted 07 May 2024 at 12:07
That statement is simply incorrect and scaremongering.

There is no causal link between fats of any kind and cancer, the study does not prove that switching fats to vegetarian or anything else will improve prognosis.

User
Posted 05 May 2024 at 21:04

A study was mentioned in the Times a few days ago.   This claimed that people who ate more fruit and veg were found to be more likely to have slower progression.   A short piece of the article is below.

'Men from the Cancer of the Prostate Strategic Urologic Research Endeavor (CaPSURE) study were asked to list the vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, meat and dairy they ate each day.

The team split the men into groups based on the amount of plants they ate. The group that ate the most consumed an average of nearly two more servings of fruits and vegetables, about one more serving of whole grains and one less serving of dairy each day than the group that who ate the least.

The scientists then measured how long it took for the disease to progress in any way. Of the 2,000 men taking part, 190 experienced some form of progression with their cancer during the period of the study.

The men with the highest levels of plants in their diets were found to have a 47 per cent lower likelihood of the disease progressing further when compared with those who ate the least amount of plants.

The researchers said that larger-scale studies were needed to inform policy and recommendations for those receiving a cancer diagnosis.'

I keep meaning to look for more information but haven't got round to it.

User
Posted 06 May 2024 at 16:48

Here's a video from Dr Scholz reporting on another large study. This one looks at the impact of a number of dietary and lifestyle factors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UBHmXVYz-k

This one seems to show that these factors appear to have no discernible impact on the probablity of getting prostate cancer in the first place, but a large effect on the probability of dying from prostate cancer.

It is clearly very difficult to pin down the effect of these complex interactions over long periods and there must be a lot of uncertainty about the results, even with large sample sizes. However, one thing that strikes me about some of the studies that I have seen is that the apparent effects can be very large. In other areas we are told that something has a significant effect on the risk of getting some kind of cancer and it may turn out to be a 10% increase in a risk that was pretty small to begin with. But when we are talking about prostate cancer recurrence, for example, we seem to be talking about a possible large percentage reduction in a risk that is itself quite high. So it does seem to me to be an area which is worth looking into despite the difficulties, or, dare I say it, "food for thought".

User
Posted 07 May 2024 at 22:57

I can see why big pharma don't like it but what's your beef ?

My "beef" is not with you, or even your husband. I am concerned for vulnerable newbies facing prostate cancer for the first time, who might be led into thinking that they can "treat" their cancer with home remedies.

Jules

User
Posted 07 May 2024 at 22:58

The study took a lot into consideration including exercise.   On my tablet it won't let me copy and paste from it except the link, but it basically says at the end....

those with non metastatic pca may improve survival by avoiding/limiting whole milk, red and processed meats, saturated fat, while allowing moderate wine consumption, avoid smoking, maintain a healthy body size and do regular moderate activity.

It sounds to me what a doctor would tell anyone for general health.

The link below contains a lot of the hard to read detail and the above conclusion is right at the end. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41416-023-02283-1

User
Posted 08 May 2024 at 15:25

In reading this it seems that the Prostate cancer volunteers had no treatment for the cancer up until their deaths to prove that if you vegetarian  and nut diet you will live longer route .

To start with no two prostate cancers are alike and it would be impossible to get two patients that have equal age body mass and many other pointers to get the required end plan.

I wonder if this is real or another AI got into the system.In the eight years of having prostate cancer i have never come across another prostate cancer patient that has the same life style of a meat eating, wine drinking, and many other things but most of all my diagnoses ,PSA or Gleason score.

Please try to convince me anyone.

John.

User
Posted 08 May 2024 at 19:00

One thing 5ARIs do however is to lower your PSA without lowering your prostate cancer risk, so if you're monitoring prostate cancer treatment or progression with PSA, then 5ARIs can mess up those readings. In the case of the drugs Finasteride and Dutasteride, we know how to correct the readings (you have to double them), but for any herbal 5ARI, no one is going to know what the effective dose is or how to correct PSA readings.

This is a very interesting comment from Andy.  An anti-inflammatory oil like Evening Primrose can reduce your psa without changing your underlying condition, which is unsafe.  Evening Primrose oil can be used for high cholesterol as well.  Is there anything else out there we shouldn't have, such as statins perhaps?

It also adds to a thought that you should try to keep conditions the same for your psa tests.  Have the same breakfast and fluids if you go in the morning.

Edited by member 08 May 2024 at 19:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 May 2024 at 17:00

Lizzo,

Prostate Cancer UK have the following on their website which implies they see no problem with men on hormone treatment using Evening Primrose and presumably those men are having psa tests, although I wouldn't assume it:

'Herbal remedies use plants or plant extracts. Some men like to use herbal remedies, such as sage tea, evening primrose oil and red clover, to help with their hot flushes. But there's no evidence that these work, and it's important to check with your doctor that these are safe for you. For example, there is a small chance that a herbal supplement called black cohosh may cause liver damage. This is rare, but you shouldn't take it if you've ever had liver or kidney disease.'

Link below:

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/living-with-prostate-cancer/how-hormone-therapy-affects-you

I can't find anything to support Andy's comment about psa being unsafely inhibited by 5ARI, as yet.   Although I have found articles saying 5ARI is found in many herbs, flax being one, but perhaps not much.

I'd never heard of any of this before 2 days ago.  I feel that if Evening Primrose was protective for pca we'd hear a lot more about it.   Although it does have benefits for hot flushes apparently.

User
Posted 09 May 2024 at 18:36

Lizzo,

Prostate Cancer UK have the following on their website which implies they see no problem with men on hormone treatment using Evening Primrose and presumably those men are having psa tests, although I wouldn't assume it:

'Herbal remedies use plants or plant extracts. Some men like to use herbal remedies, such as sage tea, evening primrose oil and red clover, to help with their hot flushes. But there's no evidence that these work, and it's important to check with your doctor that these are safe for you. For example, there is a small chance that a herbal supplement called black cohosh may cause liver damage. This is rare, but you shouldn't take it if you've ever had liver or kidney disease.'

Link below:

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/living-with-prostate-cancer/how-hormone-therapy-affects-you

I can't find anything to support Andy's comment about psa being unsafely inhibited by 5ARI, as yet.   Although I have found articles saying 5ARI is found in many herbs, flax being one, but perhaps not much.

I'd never heard of any of this before 2 days ago.  I feel that if Evening Primrose was protective for pca we'd hear a lot more about it.   Although it does have benefits for hot flushes apparently.

This is a list of 5 alpha reductase inhibitors including herbal remedies 

In the herbal remedies it mentions  gamma linoleic acid - evening primrose oil is a major source of gamma linoleic acid 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_5%CE%B1-reductase_inhibitors

User
Posted 10 May 2024 at 09:26

I can't find anything to support Andy's comment about psa being unsafely inhibited by 5ARI, as yet. Although I have found articles saying 5ARI is found in many herbs, flax being one, but perhaps not much.

Loads of things act as 5ARIs to a minor extent, and there's no point in trying to avoid all those - you'd end up on a very weird/unbalanced diet. It's difficult to find out how much is in these, but if they're not used for reversing recent male pattern balding, there's probably too little to worry about.

The Finasteride dose used for enlarged prostate is 5mg/day, and this is the dose which halves your PSA.
The Finsateride dose used to treat male pattern hair loss is 1mg/day, and I don't know what impact that has on PSA (I don't know if the effect is linear, i.e. proportional to the dose).

Most of the foods/supplements containing 5ARI are not known for having any effect on male pattern hair loss, so I would guess their doses are much lower than the equivalent of even 1mg Finasteride. Saw Palmetto is a notable exception, in that it is effective enough to shrink the prostate and hair regrowth (at least in some formulations), although not as effective as Finsateride and Dutasteride. (Its formulations are also stupidly expensive, much more so that Finasteride and Dutasteride.)

Obviously, I can't assure you which foods/supplements containing 5ARI are safe to take without screwing up PSA readings, but ruling out everything containing small amounts is not viable, sensible, or useful.

User
Posted 10 May 2024 at 18:56

Why would any adult  avoid 5alpha reductase inhibitor food sources  in their diet ?

Only because of the possibility of generating misleading PSA results, but this would only be with significant doses of 5ARIs.

Biotin  vitamin b7 is the biggest booster of hair growth I have ever come across I have searched for  research linking biotin to prostate cancer prevention bc it is obvs a major  DHT inhibitor the only caveat is Biotin affects blood tests so dont take it for a few days before any  blood test

It takes around 6 months for PSA to stabilise after loss of androgens, and 12 months after restoration of androgens. A few days won't do anything.

As already mentioned, inhibiting DHT has no impact on prostate cancer, only PSA. (There is some thought it might reduce the chance of getting prostate cancer in the first place, but that ship already sailed.) As far as I can see, Biotin is not a 5ARI, but it is sometimes taken with Finasteride to promote hair growth (Finasteride being a 5ARI which is used to prevent male pattern baldness, amongst other things).

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 May 2024 at 14:02

I have been vegetarian for 30 years. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer T2a 3+4 at the age of 52. So you can figure what I think when I read this stuff.

User
Posted 06 May 2024 at 16:11

Unfortunately, at least as you've described, you simply can't do a comparison that way.

Those who decided to eat more veg almost certainly made very many other changes in their lives, such as more exercise, etc. You can't take any one of those changes and claim the difference in outcomes is due to that. This is what makes diet claims extremely difficult to make sense of, and widely contradictory between research projects. Also self-reported dietary data has been found to be very unreliable.

Edited by member 06 May 2024 at 16:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 May 2024 at 16:48

Here's a video from Dr Scholz reporting on another large study. This one looks at the impact of a number of dietary and lifestyle factors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UBHmXVYz-k

This one seems to show that these factors appear to have no discernible impact on the probablity of getting prostate cancer in the first place, but a large effect on the probability of dying from prostate cancer.

It is clearly very difficult to pin down the effect of these complex interactions over long periods and there must be a lot of uncertainty about the results, even with large sample sizes. However, one thing that strikes me about some of the studies that I have seen is that the apparent effects can be very large. In other areas we are told that something has a significant effect on the risk of getting some kind of cancer and it may turn out to be a 10% increase in a risk that was pretty small to begin with. But when we are talking about prostate cancer recurrence, for example, we seem to be talking about a possible large percentage reduction in a risk that is itself quite high. So it does seem to me to be an area which is worth looking into despite the difficulties, or, dare I say it, "food for thought".

User
Posted 06 May 2024 at 23:38
Basically the best thing you can do is eat a varied diet low in processed food and man made sugar. This will help your body rid itself of fat and that WILL impact overall health and survival.
User
Posted 07 May 2024 at 09:44

Saturated animal fat is linked to lethal prostate cancer - a vegetarian diet could contain butter . cheese and milk ie lots of saturated fat 

Switching to vegetable fats improves prognosis for prostate cancer its an easy switch imo 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3935610/

We use a vegan low fat marg by Flora and cook with organic olive oil 

Benecol could be a good choice for those with high cholestrol bc it has plant sterols- all hormones are made from cholesterol so that includes testosterone and consequently DHT (the driver of prostate cancer)

I have been taking evening primrose oil capsules  for years and it turns out its a 5Alphareductase inhibitor - it prevents testosterone from converting into DHT which is the driver of prostate cancer so my husband takes it as well now 

Edited by member 07 May 2024 at 10:05  | Reason: Add more info

User
Posted 07 May 2024 at 12:07
That statement is simply incorrect and scaremongering.

There is no causal link between fats of any kind and cancer, the study does not prove that switching fats to vegetarian or anything else will improve prognosis.

User
Posted 07 May 2024 at 21:24

Saturated animal fat is linked to lethal prostate cancer - a vegetarian diet could contain butter . cheese and milk ie lots of saturated fat 

Switching to vegetable fats improves prognosis for prostate cancer its an easy switch imo 

Benecol could be a good choice for those with high cholestrol bc it has plant sterols- all hormones are made from cholesterol so that includes testosterone and consequently DHT (the driver of prostate cancer)

I have been taking evening primrose oil capsules  for years and it turns out its a 5Alphareductase inhibitor - it prevents testosterone from converting into DHT which is the driver of prostate cancer so my husband takes it as well now 

These posts undermine the strength and commitment of all of those who have had the courage to take the steps necessary to treat rather than evade treatment for their prostate cancer.

Jules

Edited by member 07 May 2024 at 21:27  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 May 2024 at 22:35

These posts undermine the strength and commitment of all of those who have had the courage to take the steps necessary to treat rather than evade treatment for their prostate cancer.

Jules

After my husbands PSA rise post prosectomy  I made changes to our diet  cows milk was first to go I doubt you will share my view on grown adults drinking  milk meant for baby cows, dairy milk is so labour intensive have you ever expressed breast milk ?  I have and it was hard work 

NHS say consuming cows milk seems to be a risk factor for prostate cancer 

Millions of people are interested in  and following healthy diets and lifestyles alongside treatment 

Edited by member 07 May 2024 at 22:37  | Reason: typo

User
Posted 07 May 2024 at 22:57

My "beef" is not with you, or even your husband. I am concerned for vulnerable newbies facing prostate cancer for the first time, who might be led into thinking that they can "treat" their cancer with home remedies.

Jules

User
Posted 07 May 2024 at 22:58

The study took a lot into consideration including exercise.   On my tablet it won't let me copy and paste from it except the link, but it basically says at the end....

those with non metastatic pca may improve survival by avoiding/limiting whole milk, red and processed meats, saturated fat, while allowing moderate wine consumption, avoid smoking, maintain a healthy body size and do regular moderate activity.

It sounds to me what a doctor would tell anyone for general health.

The link below contains a lot of the hard to read detail and the above conclusion is right at the end. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41416-023-02283-1

User
Posted 07 May 2024 at 23:43

Further to the note I've just posted I've done most of the good things listed except for drinking too much alcohol for over 40yrs. Also drinking large full fat lattes when out.

8yrs ago I reduced my alcohol right down when I got pca.

5yrs ago I stepped up the cut back with a big reduction in saturated fat to reduce weight, which wasn't too bad BMI 26, and cholesterol which was surprisingly high at 5.9.

3yrs ago my psa became detectable and has risen very slowly at 0.01 every 4 to 6 months. I don't know how long it's been rising before it reached 0.05.

A GP health check a month ago showed my weight and cholesterol well reduced but I asked for statins, they weren't keen, and started them a week ago.

One example means little but, fingers and toes crossed, my psa is rising very slowly which with my Geason is surprising I think.

I think with pca you take your chances and decide what fits you as you could read several interpretations.  Most of this study only says what doctors recommend for everyone pca or no pca.  I happen to be someone who agrees.

Edited by member 07 May 2024 at 23:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 May 2024 at 02:02

I have been taking evening primrose oil capsules for years and it turns out its a 5Alphareductase inhibitor - it prevents testosterone from converting into DHT which is the driver of prostate cancer so my husband takes it as well now

It would be lovely if 5ARIs could be used to control prostate cancer, because we have cheap drugs which can switch off the isomers of DHT which the prostate uses, and these have far fewer side effects than switching off Testosterone. This has been tested, more than once, but unfortunately it doesn't work. It looks like it should, but it doesn't.

User
Posted 08 May 2024 at 15:25

In reading this it seems that the Prostate cancer volunteers had no treatment for the cancer up until their deaths to prove that if you vegetarian  and nut diet you will live longer route .

To start with no two prostate cancers are alike and it would be impossible to get two patients that have equal age body mass and many other pointers to get the required end plan.

I wonder if this is real or another AI got into the system.In the eight years of having prostate cancer i have never come across another prostate cancer patient that has the same life style of a meat eating, wine drinking, and many other things but most of all my diagnoses ,PSA or Gleason score.

Please try to convince me anyone.

John.

User
Posted 08 May 2024 at 16:29
Eating all this woke veggie stuff rather than a balanced diet low on extra sugar and processed foods does not make you live longer - it just makes it feel like it.

Man is an omnivore - the problem is the processing of foods.

User
Posted 08 May 2024 at 18:51

Hi John,

My understanding is that most of those studied are still alive.  This study measures progression.

I think if you look at thousands of cases you could come up with groups of similar cases.  It's a bit like looking at Ford Focuses, no 2 have the same mileage, tyre wear, body condition etc but they're all good, average or poor according to the dealer.  :)

Keep well

User
Posted 08 May 2024 at 19:00

This is a very interesting comment from Andy.  An anti-inflammatory oil like Evening Primrose can reduce your psa without changing your underlying condition, which is unsafe.  Evening Primrose oil can be used for high cholesterol as well.  Is there anything else out there we shouldn't have, such as statins perhaps?

It also adds to a thought that you should try to keep conditions the same for your psa tests.  Have the same breakfast and fluids if you go in the morning.

Edited by member 08 May 2024 at 19:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 May 2024 at 11:14

Evening primose grows  in our garden I dont plant it it just arrives its a beautiful plant none this year 

As I said before I have been taking evening primrose oil  for years its only a danger to pregnant women bc it can induce the baby it was used to induce post term babies in the past it also prevents womb cancer bc it keeps the womb lining thin this is a facebook post  saying its good for prostate cancer and breast cancer also a lnk to the original study 

https://www.facebook.com/TheEdenPrescription/photos/a.201474409907598/667888483266186/?type=3

https://phmd.pl/publication/1088036/Urszula-Lewandowska-Influence-of-polyphenol

User
Posted 09 May 2024 at 17:00

Lizzo,

Link below:

User
Posted 09 May 2024 at 18:19

Eating all this woke veggie stuff rather than a balanced diet low on extra sugar and processed foods does not make you live longer - it just makes it feel like it.

Man is an omnivore - the problem is the processing of foods.

I agree 

Me and my husband aren't vegan or even vegetarian but we try to  keep saturated fat low, we dont have cows milk and we limit how much meat we eat 

Edited by member 09 May 2024 at 18:22  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 09 May 2024 at 18:36

Lizzo,

Link below:

This is a list of 5 alpha reductase inhibitors including herbal remedies 

In the herbal remedies it mentions  gamma linoleic acid - evening primrose oil is a major source of gamma linoleic acid 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_5%CE%B1-reductase_inhibitors

User
Posted 10 May 2024 at 09:26

I can't find anything to support Andy's comment about psa being unsafely inhibited by 5ARI, as yet. Although I have found articles saying 5ARI is found in many herbs, flax being one, but perhaps not much.

Loads of things act as 5ARIs to a minor extent, and there's no point in trying to avoid all those - you'd end up on a very weird/unbalanced diet. It's difficult to find out how much is in these, but if they're not used for reversing recent male pattern balding, there's probably too little to worry about.

The Finasteride dose used for enlarged prostate is 5mg/day, and this is the dose which halves your PSA.
The Finsateride dose used to treat male pattern hair loss is 1mg/day, and I don't know what impact that has on PSA (I don't know if the effect is linear, i.e. proportional to the dose).

Most of the foods/supplements containing 5ARI are not known for having any effect on male pattern hair loss, so I would guess their doses are much lower than the equivalent of even 1mg Finasteride. Saw Palmetto is a notable exception, in that it is effective enough to shrink the prostate and hair regrowth (at least in some formulations), although not as effective as Finsateride and Dutasteride. (Its formulations are also stupidly expensive, much more so that Finasteride and Dutasteride.)

Obviously, I can't assure you which foods/supplements containing 5ARI are safe to take without screwing up PSA readings, but ruling out everything containing small amounts is not viable, sensible, or useful.

User
Posted 10 May 2024 at 17:20

Why would any adult  avoid 5alpha reductase inhibitor food sources  in their diet ? 

Biotin  vitamin b7 is the biggest booster of hair growth I have ever come across I have searched for  research linking biotin to prostate cancer prevention bc it is obvs a major  DHT inhibitor the only caveat is Biotin affects blood tests so dont take it for a few days before any  blood test 

it is an amazing vitamin 

Btw in UK US Europe etc there is very little research into cancer 

Edited by member 10 May 2024 at 17:33  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 10 May 2024 at 18:56

Only because of the possibility of generating misleading PSA results, but this would only be with significant doses of 5ARIs.

It takes around 6 months for PSA to stabilise after loss of androgens, and 12 months after restoration of androgens. A few days won't do anything.

As already mentioned, inhibiting DHT has no impact on prostate cancer, only PSA. (There is some thought it might reduce the chance of getting prostate cancer in the first place, but that ship already sailed.) As far as I can see, Biotin is not a 5ARI, but it is sometimes taken with Finasteride to promote hair growth (Finasteride being a 5ARI which is used to prevent male pattern baldness, amongst other things).

User
Posted 10 May 2024 at 19:47

as I said before biotin is amazing for hair growth and has many other  benefits yet it  is only lauded for optimising  pharma drug  absorption there is no scientific data on its powerful dht blocking ability except by male pattern balding remedy companies