I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Free pads...nearly!

User
Posted 07 May 2024 at 21:34

Great that I live in a health authority that supplies Tena level 3 free of charge. But they set the daily requirement at 2 pads for new prostatectomy patients, which is a bit low as I was on 3 (at a push) per 24 hours.

I just did a Tena order for more and they sent me next 3 months but still at 2 a day, which means I'm likely to run out a month early.

So, just a heads up if you get free pads: you may not quite get all you need.' I'll raise this at my next urology clinic again...as I raised it at my last, but nothing changed yet. I really hope I am down to 2 soon, but am two months in and not looking like drying up yet!

But am alive and well....this is what matters!

Martin

User
Posted 08 May 2024 at 05:59

I have often wondered whether some patients get free pads. I did not think it happened tbh. Thankfully I am completely dry in day and sometimes at bedtime, so I re-use the pads for the next night, so might use 2 pads a week!

User
Posted 08 May 2024 at 08:26

Oh I really would reuse...but not yet where it's hygienic. But yes in Nottingham we get vacuum devices and pads free.

I'm only 8 weeks post op today, so hoping to dry up asap.

User
Posted 08 May 2024 at 08:58

I guess it is a case of postcode lottery, 8weeks post op and you already have the VED Pump as well? You are right about the re-use of pads only when it is hygienic, my dryness is sort of predictable, all depends on my diet during the day. Carbs is what does it, and how close I eat it to bedtime. I am 2yrs post surgery by the way. I hope you don't wait as long to resolve your incontinence.

Are you using the squeezy app?

User
Posted 08 May 2024 at 09:03

Yes am into Mr squeezy.I  had my pump 2 months before the op.

I'm feeling a bit frustrated with the leakiness, but compare to some folks I seem to be doing okay. 

I could cope with 2 pads a day I guess, just feel better with 3.

I've got a continence clinic early June so will raise the pad count again. 

Interesting comment re carbs. I've been keto for a good few months before my op, but have gone more towards balance, more protein and lower carbs since.

Toast cereal and jam for hospital bfast made me cringe slightly lol