Show search

Notification

Error

Bricking it a bit!

User
Posted 13 May 2024 at 17:12

Hi all

Just joined so thought i'd dive in....

My journey with getting checked started about a month ago. Made an appointment with My GP as i'm a man of a certain age now and the chat was "no screening process" "we can check you if you want to" - I felt like if I was uncertain they would be happy for me to change my mind and go home! I was there under my own steam and wasnt taking no for an answer! bloods taken, wee'd in a pot, prostate check...all good. Bloods came back and PSA was higher than normal...referered to MRI ...appointment came back pretty quick...MRI experience was actually pretty good, friendly staff etc. Results back in 3 days...Pi-Rads score of 5 so now going in for a biopsy next week.

Proper all over the shop now, positive one minute, down / angry the next. Not looking forward to the biopsy really (another post mentioned "needles down there" and that's pretty spot on!!)

Bit of a family history of C - mum, uncle, aunt so stirring up a lot of emotion and memories as you'd expect. Fear of the unknown.

This is more of a brain dump really than anything else...good to be here (sort of, if you see what I mean)

User
Posted 13 May 2024 at 17:33

Welcome to the club nobody wants to join Steve! Good thing though is now you’ve joined you’ll find a wealth of knowledge and support on here.

When you’re first diagnosed it’s a real shock…I remember it well and your emotions will be all over the place. But the good thing is you’ve been tested and hopefully you’ve caught it early enough to be offered a choice of treatments. As I’m sure you already know, the waiting around for results is the worst. Once you know what’s what, and you have a treatment plan(if needed) in place you should feel a lot better about things. There are so many men on here who have had successful treatments for PCa…I won’t tell you not to worry because that’s just daft, but what I would suggest is that you do lots of nice things, things that bring you happiness, keep busy and active, be kind to yourself and give yourself lots of treats…I really does think it helps keep your mind from wandering to the worst scenario.

And don’t Dr Google please, use this resource for your information. There’s lots of support on here and out there if you need it so don’t suffer I’m silence.

I wish you all the very best in your journey.

Derek

User
Posted 13 May 2024 at 17:12

Hi all

Just joined so thought i'd dive in....

My journey with getting checked started about a month ago. Made an appointment with My GP as i'm a man of a certain age now and the chat was "no screening process" "we can check you if you want to" - I felt like if I was uncertain they would be happy for me to change my mind and go home! I was there under my own steam and wasnt taking no for an answer! bloods taken, wee'd in a pot, prostate check...all good. Bloods came back and PSA was higher than normal...referered to MRI ...appointment came back pretty quick...MRI experience was actually pretty good, friendly staff etc. Results back in 3 days...Pi-Rads score of 5 so now going in for a biopsy next week.

Proper all over the shop now, positive one minute, down / angry the next. Not looking forward to the biopsy really (another post mentioned "needles down there" and that's pretty spot on!!)

Bit of a family history of C - mum, uncle, aunt so stirring up a lot of emotion and memories as you'd expect. Fear of the unknown.

This is more of a brain dump really than anything else...good to be here (sort of, if you see what I mean)

User
Posted 13 May 2024 at 17:51

The waiting was as bad as the treatment for me. Good that you were onto it early and persistent. The biopsy is not a very nice experience but not that bad. Remain positive and hopefully a good outcome from the biopsy.

User
Posted 13 May 2024 at 18:41

Nice to meet you Steve. Welcome to the forum

Best of luck with your biopsy, I didn't find it a problem. Please keep us updated with your results.

User
Posted 13 May 2024 at 19:44

Hi,

I was also 52 when diagnosed. Don't expect this kind of news this 'young' so it's all a bit of a shock. As others have said waiting for results can be the worse bit. But once you know what you're dealing with and have a treatment plan in place then you can feel a bit better. The nurses on here are brilliant btw so it can be worth having a chat with them.

User
Posted 14 May 2024 at 08:54
I found the anticipation of the biopsy far worse than the actual event, Steve. It's undignified and extremely uncomfortable, but no more painful than, say, having a filling at the dentist. They use the same local anaesthetic as a dentist does.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Chris

User
Posted 14 May 2024 at 16:52

Biopsy, an unpleasant experience but tolerable.

Try to keep your mind off it in operating theater. Find a subject to talk about with the guard nurse standing next to you.

I had 3 biopsies. 1st biopsy (12 cores) was a bit of nuisance. But 2nd and especially the 3rd one (24 cores) were not much unpleasant. I kept talking with nurse standing next to my bed. The trick worked.

Hope to be the same for you

Edited by member 14 May 2024 at 16:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 May 2024 at 17:58
I didn't have an issue with the biopsy (rectal) or with any of the subsequent treatment (RARP) - in fact I found the worry and anticipation 100 times worse than the actual procedures.

I suppose that it's better to have found it at 52 rather than 62.

Good luck

User
Posted 14 May 2024 at 21:12

AFCB Steve,

Sorry that you find yourself here...

As far as the biopsy goes, I didn't find it very painful at all.  If you've ever had a tattoo, a biopsy is a walk in the park 😀.   

Some people are bothered by having their genitals exposed to a doctor's gaze, but the Urologists try to preserve your modesty as much as possible.  Even the attendant nurse kept out of the line of view during my procedure.  As the doctor is a Urologist, penises and vaginas are their 'bread and butter', so to speak.  They have seen it all before.  The staff try to distract you with chat and before you know it, it's all over.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 May 2024 at 17:33

Welcome to the club nobody wants to join Steve! Good thing though is now you’ve joined you’ll find a wealth of knowledge and support on here.

When you’re first diagnosed it’s a real shock…I remember it well and your emotions will be all over the place. But the good thing is you’ve been tested and hopefully you’ve caught it early enough to be offered a choice of treatments. As I’m sure you already know, the waiting around for results is the worst. Once you know what’s what, and you have a treatment plan(if needed) in place you should feel a lot better about things. There are so many men on here who have had successful treatments for PCa…I won’t tell you not to worry because that’s just daft, but what I would suggest is that you do lots of nice things, things that bring you happiness, keep busy and active, be kind to yourself and give yourself lots of treats…I really does think it helps keep your mind from wandering to the worst scenario.

And don’t Dr Google please, use this resource for your information. There’s lots of support on here and out there if you need it so don’t suffer I’m silence.

I wish you all the very best in your journey.

Derek

User
Posted 13 May 2024 at 17:51

The waiting was as bad as the treatment for me. Good that you were onto it early and persistent. The biopsy is not a very nice experience but not that bad. Remain positive and hopefully a good outcome from the biopsy.

User
Posted 13 May 2024 at 18:41

Nice to meet you Steve. Welcome to the forum

Best of luck with your biopsy, I didn't find it a problem. Please keep us updated with your results.

User
Posted 13 May 2024 at 19:44

Hi,

I was also 52 when diagnosed. Don't expect this kind of news this 'young' so it's all a bit of a shock. As others have said waiting for results can be the worse bit. But once you know what you're dealing with and have a treatment plan in place then you can feel a bit better. The nurses on here are brilliant btw so it can be worth having a chat with them.

User
Posted 14 May 2024 at 08:54
I found the anticipation of the biopsy far worse than the actual event, Steve. It's undignified and extremely uncomfortable, but no more painful than, say, having a filling at the dentist. They use the same local anaesthetic as a dentist does.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Chris

User
Posted 14 May 2024 at 16:52

Biopsy, an unpleasant experience but tolerable.

Try to keep your mind off it in operating theater. Find a subject to talk about with the guard nurse standing next to you.

I had 3 biopsies. 1st biopsy (12 cores) was a bit of nuisance. But 2nd and especially the 3rd one (24 cores) were not much unpleasant. I kept talking with nurse standing next to my bed. The trick worked.

Hope to be the same for you

Edited by member 14 May 2024 at 16:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 May 2024 at 17:58
I didn't have an issue with the biopsy (rectal) or with any of the subsequent treatment (RARP) - in fact I found the worry and anticipation 100 times worse than the actual procedures.

I suppose that it's better to have found it at 52 rather than 62.

Good luck

User
Posted 14 May 2024 at 21:12

AFCB Steve,

Sorry that you find yourself here...

As far as the biopsy goes, I didn't find it very painful at all.  If you've ever had a tattoo, a biopsy is a walk in the park 😀.   

Some people are bothered by having their genitals exposed to a doctor's gaze, but the Urologists try to preserve your modesty as much as possible.  Even the attendant nurse kept out of the line of view during my procedure.  As the doctor is a Urologist, penises and vaginas are their 'bread and butter', so to speak.  They have seen it all before.  The staff try to distract you with chat and before you know it, it's all over.

Best wishes,

JedSee.