I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Reduce Xtandi from 120 to 80?

User
Posted 14 May 2024 at 17:20

15 months after taking the oncologist's advice to reduce daily dose from 160 mg to 120 mg, during yesterday's three monthly phone meet he suggested that I now reduce to 80 mg, initially for 10 days to see if this reduced continued (bearable) fatigue. I am a bit nervous as I don't want my PSA to rise (it continues non-detectable). What are the thoughts of you good people?  

User
Posted 14 May 2024 at 17:42

My dh also takes 3 instead 4 due to headaches and feeling muzzy. He has thought of asking to take just the 2. But it’s the hot flushes causing the most problem. I don’t think reducing by one will reduce those as he’s on zoladex too. I read a report online about 2 groups of men on Xtandi one group took 2 tablets the other took 4 tablets. It goes on to say that the men in both groups averaged the same amount of time before the drugs became ineffective. I can’t remember how long ago or how long the trial was though. I’ll try to find it again sometime. 

User
Posted 15 May 2024 at 22:33
Hi. I get hot flushes, but nothing to worry about, usually 9 am and 9 pm for some reason. I too am on zolodox. As my onco said ... its about the quality of life. I see that the half life of xtandi is about 5.4 days, so I should be able to detect something after a week or so.
User
Posted 16 May 2024 at 06:23

Dh finds the hot flushes hard. He feels like he’s going to pass out. Some days he has 3 or 4. Other days they are every hour or so. 

He had a week off them a while ago to see if the headaches eased off. But a week didn’t make any difference. So he went back on the 3. 

User
Posted 04 Jun 2024 at 12:23

Hi Caycambe. we reduced my xanti from 4 to 3 July 22 and again from 3 to 2 the back end of last year, hot flushes have never been such an issue with me, but brain fog and fatigue has been. Now I feel like I want to do things but still have to rest regular but I do feel better in myself, although my wife hasn't noticed much of a change, my PSA is rising very slowly but the team h say its nothing to worry about yet. Hope this helps with your decision or Just gives you more questions to ask
Cheers
DaveH

Edited by member 04 Jun 2024 at 12:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Aug 2024 at 12:36

I've been having hot flushes at 9 am and 9 pm, which are generally manageable. My oncologist says Zolodex prioritizes quality of life. Since Xtandi has a half-life of 5.4 days, I should notice any changes or adverse effects within a week.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/m299304-geometry dash-Reduce-Xtandi-from-120-to-80

Edited by member 29 Aug 2024 at 11:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Aug 2024 at 13:23

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Dh finds the hot flushes hard. He feels like he’s going to pass out. Some days he has 3 or 4. Other days they are every hour or so. 

He had a week off them a while ago to see if the headaches eased off. But a week didn’t make any difference. So he went back on the 3. 

Has he been given medication for the hot flushes, Cyproterone, Medroxyprogesterone, or Megestrol?

User
Posted 28 Aug 2024 at 19:07

Andy62 DH was given provera. He’s not taken them yet. He doesn’t like the look of the side effects like growing breasts. But also, as he has the brca gene we aren’t sure whether adding an extra hormone in is a good idea. It says on them if you have a history of breast cancer consult your gp. Obviously they are tablets for woman during menopause and the breast cancer is aimed at woman on the drug. But I’m sure a woman with the gene wouldn’t be prescribed them so I’ve no idea whether it’s the same for men. I suggested dh ask the nurse if they are safe to take. But as he can’t remember anything these days, he asked the nurse whether another tablet was safe instead, a tablet that has nothing to do with hormones. To which she said they are fine. So next nurse consult, I’ll write it down for him to ask. 

User
Posted 31 Aug 2024 at 09:10

Oh boy do I recognise forgetting what I meant to ask, so now write questions down a week before appt then ALL!! I have to do is remember the paper,  sounds easy :-) Airy