I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

After TURP surgery

User
Posted 23 May 2024 at 11:50

Hello, I would like to reach out to anyone following my TURP surgery. I had TURP surgery on 17.04.24. I have same symptoms after surgery as I did before, constant need to urinate. I do hold off but it can be as frequent as 30/45 minutes or 90/100 minutes between peeing. Now when I need to go I have to go immediately. I had anxiety before surgery and more so now.

User
Posted 23 May 2024 at 21:23

A TURP is mainly about fixing a slow flow rate. Have you seen any improvement with that? I don't know what the expected recovery time is, but someone here who's had it can hopefully say.

Slow flow rate can cause bladder instability (includes urgency), and it might take some bladder retraining to change the bladder behaviour back to normal.

User
Posted 23 May 2024 at 21:43
Thanks for replying. Yes my flow has improved. I’ve started kegal exercises which I hope will improve my frequency and constant need to go.
User
Posted 24 May 2024 at 11:15

When men have urinary issues, there's a temptation to:

• Not drink much so you don't have to pee so often (which usually makes things worse), and

• Take any opportunity to go to the loo, so you don't get caught short when there isn't one to hand.

These two actions train the bladder to not expect to fill up, i.e. it learns normal operation is to have a pee whenever a tiny bit of urine has collected.

What you need to do now is to reverse that learned behaviour, which is called bladder retraining. You can look up techniques for that, but typically it is:

Learn some distraction techniques to use when the urge to pee comes, and you will find it passes.

Knowing that you're near a loo can trigger this, and keeping away from one might help. For instance, many men find that arriving home triggers the need for a pee. When you get home, instead of dashing straight in for the loo, take a walk around the block to delay things.

Note what time you get an urge to pee, and try to hold on for 5 mins using the distraction techniques. Over time, you will be able to steadily increase this period.

Peeing into a measuring jug can help monitor progress, since you will be peeing less often but more volume each time. If you only pee a small amount, you can learn that you could have held on longer that time.

You can't do bladder retraining at night - it would stop you from sleeping, but the bladder retraining you do during the day should improve things at night too.

Kegal exercises can help too with preventing leaking.

User
Posted 24 May 2024 at 14:55

Thank you for the advice.

I drink 2L of mainly water per day and I put off going to the toilet as long as I can.

The last few days I have had to pee immediately when the urge comes, but prior to that I was delaying going once the urge came.

i will try some of the techniques you advise. Again thank you, it’s much appreciated 

User
Posted 25 May 2024 at 14:27

Hi John

I had a TURP some years back and to address Andy's point, it took about 10vdays.to 2 weeks to recover fully (mainly from painful peeing) and then I had a full flow with instant starting and stopping. I was no longer that guy spending ages at the urinal.

I have since then had a prostatectomy and so my memory is somewhat blurred but I do recall the bladder retraining being recommended by my surgeon virtually as stated by Andy. I also recall how tempting it was to take a pee when I felt the urge and promise to myself to start the retraining 'tomorrow'.

Keep at it. It will be worth it. 

Peter

Edited by member 25 May 2024 at 14:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 May 2024 at 15:46
Hello Peter,

I’m finding it tough at the moment mentally as my physical symptoms to go are similar prior the operation.

I will take on board yours and Andy’s advice Thank you.