I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

GP appointment

User
Posted 27 May 2024 at 11:03

I have all the classic symptoms that worry me, and I have a family history: my younger brother died from metastatic prostate cancer seven years ago and a first cousin had his prostate removed because of cancer. I am 69. I have tried every day for a week to get through to my GP surgery on the phone, but without success. The website app (PATCHS) is not taking bookings, and the surgery website advises me not to visit in person. It seems all the advice is that I get checked but at the same time I am being denied this. This is putting me off but I don't really want that to happen. Has any one got any ideas what I can do?  Many thanks, J 

User
Posted 27 May 2024 at 13:26

Hi Joseph,

I would disregard their request for non attendance at the surgery and attend. My GP surgery uses a system where you request an appointment on line and have been lucky enough to get on line responses from doctors fairly quickly.

Edited by member 27 May 2024 at 13:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 May 2024 at 14:31

You could look to see if there's a charity PSA testing event nearby:
https://mypsatests.org.uk/events/

You can also order a PSA test kit by post from that site if you think you're up to pricking a finger and collecting about 15 drips of blood.

By the way, prostate cancer doesn't usually have any symptoms. The urinary symptoms many sites mention are usually due to an enlarged prostate (which isn't prostate cancer, although you can have both conditions). Around 80% of the men diagnosed in the UK had no symptoms. I don't know where that often-quoted stat comes from, but some recent research in the US came up with 85% having no symptoms, which given they do more PSA tests, sounds like a pretty good correlation to our figure.

User
Posted 27 May 2024 at 23:18

If you really can't get through to your GP I have found that calling 111 with your need is a good way ... Very often THEY can get an appointment for you - for a call from a doctor/clinical staff member at your Surgery at least. Hope this helps.

Edited by member 27 May 2024 at 23:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 08:46

Thanks Adrian - I’m taking all advice on board and intend to act on all of it. It’s a great comfort knowing this forum is here. J

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 08:53

Thanks Andy, I’m OK with self bloods, as I’m diabetic. But I really want to be examined by an expert - whether that’s irrational or not I don’t know. However, it is obviously good advice and I  will seriously consider it as an additional option. I can’t believe the state the country is in when you can’t get an urgent appointment. Thanks again, J

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 08:58

Thanks Meunier, I did try 111 but the phone just rang out. (But that was a bank holiday). I am trying again. This all makes me quite anxious, which isn’t helping. It shouldn’t be like this. J

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 11:13

Hi Joseph

If you can afford it many private hospitals offer blood tests. Getting your PSA is your first port of call. If it is high you can pass the result on to your GP practice which one hopes puts the ball in their court and would have to see you or refer you to a urologist asap.  Good luck

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 12:38

An elevated PSA at your GP should get you sent to something called a 'two week PSA clinic' at your local hospital