Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy completed, what's next

User
Posted 27 May 2024 at 19:36

Hi all,

I've not posted on here for many months now. 

My dad who has locally advanced pc (nearby lymph nodes) has had 20 rounds of radiotherapy and is 5 months into quarterly Prostap injections and daily Arbiraterone tablets. 

His initial PSA was 76 and he had a Gleason score of 7 - 3+4

His latest bloods before starting his RT were 2.5

The radiotherapy finished last week and we now have to wait until his next follow up in July. 

Apart from tiredness and problems with his catheter blocking his body dealt with the RT pretty well. 

Naively I thought he would have follow up scans, but since finding out it's just the bloods I am curious to understand how they know if the radiotherapy was effective, as the PSA was already low due to the hormone injections/tablets. 

How often to they check on your PSA levels going forward? 

Basically the point of this post, is I guess to ask for any advice from others who were in a similar situation:)

Thanks

User
Posted 27 May 2024 at 21:47

Providing he was diagnosed with a raised PSA, using PSA is more effective than scans for monitoring progress. Scans are sometimes used for patients with prostate cancer that didn't raise PSA.

The protocol varies from one hospital and oncologist to another. Typically after that sort of radiotherapy, you have a 6 week and a 12 week followup, possibly both by phone. They will usually ask for a PSA test before the 12 week one. However, both of these are really about finding out if you need any support for side effects - they won't be able to tell you much about how well the treatment went yet. PSA tests in the first 2 years will be somewhere between every 3-6 months, and will probably continue after that every 6 months while he's still on hormone therapy. When the hormone therapy finishes, it's good if they add Testosterone level to the test, so they can see when it recovers, because without knowing that, it's not easy to make sense of the PSA readings. A year or so after finishing the hormone therapy, when Testosterone has recovered to a stable level, PSA will rise in response to that, and it's then important to see what level PSA settles. That's the first indication of how well the radiotherapy worked.

He'll probably continue to have PSA tests 6-monthly up to 5 years post treatment, and if it's all looking good at that point, they will probably switch to annually. This all varies by area though, and different hospitals have different agreements with GPs when they take over the PSA monitoring.

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 18:41

Thank you so much for such a detailed and well explained response. This makes it far clearer. 

I wish the hospital explained it a little better. 

My dad also passes on his thanks to you :) 

User
Posted 29 May 2024 at 09:59

To add to Andy62's explanation, I've been on 3-monthly follow-ups with my oncologist for the past 5 years.

He feels it's a good interval to allow patients to report any changes in how they feel and any new side-effects from ongoing hormone therapy, and also to keep a close eye on PSA levels.   

User
Posted 30 May 2024 at 21:55

Thank you Craig, that's really helpful. I hope things continue to go well for you :)