Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Stage 4 diagnosis advice

User
Posted 27 May 2024 at 22:40

Hello! 
My dad (early 60s) has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, metastasis. He’s on chemo, and I’ve found out he will never come off chemo, until it stops working and they will try something else? He’s previously had radiation and that shrunk the cancer but it’s since returned. He’s very private and never tells me the full story for fear of upsetting me (I’m almost 40) so I guess I’m after some advice, I have so many questions, including if it is terminal - Google doesn’t seem to help. 
I just want to know what to expect, and trying to find stage 4 experiences is tricky. 

Hope I haven’t caused upset by asking, I don’t know where else to ask. 

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 06:37
Ok so with a previously treated prostate cancer that has returned and has now been staged as 4 the answer to your question is unfortunately likely to be yes it is terminal.

That is the bad news, the good news is there are plenty of examples on this site of guys in your dad's position who enjoy many many years of good quality living with the disease.

Now would be a good time to have a chat with your dad about his illness and how he wants to manage his condition. Maybe speak to the nurses on this site first so you can familiarise yourself with what his options might be.

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 09:25
Hi Rebecca I’m 57 and was diagnosed post surgery 9 years ago as T4. I’ve not had chemo yet but it has been managed with palliative RT and injectable HT.

But sorry yes it will progress and is termed incurable. Terminal is more used when only months to live. Sending wishes

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 06:37
Ok so with a previously treated prostate cancer that has returned and has now been staged as 4 the answer to your question is unfortunately likely to be yes it is terminal.

That is the bad news, the good news is there are plenty of examples on this site of guys in your dad's position who enjoy many many years of good quality living with the disease.

Now would be a good time to have a chat with your dad about his illness and how he wants to manage his condition. Maybe speak to the nurses on this site first so you can familiarise yourself with what his options might be.

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 09:25
Hi Rebecca I’m 57 and was diagnosed post surgery 9 years ago as T4. I’ve not had chemo yet but it has been managed with palliative RT and injectable HT.

But sorry yes it will progress and is termed incurable. Terminal is more used when only months to live. Sending wishes