I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about 0.2 PSA reading 5 weeks after RP

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 16:21

My fiancé is due to go and see his surgeon in a few days after having his RP about 6 weeks ago. He had his first blood test last week and the PSA results came in today with a 0.2 reading which from all I can read it should not be, especially after the histology showed no margins and all good; can anyone advise me what to expect please.

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 16:45

Hello.

Unfortunately, it would appear that some cancerous cells remain, probably in the prostate bed. I believe 0.2 is a level where salvage R/T and H/T can be considered. Do you know his pre op PSA, Gleason score and cancer staging?

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 16:57

Thank you, he told several times that the reading was 0.2 so obviously I was very worried and asked him to show me the result letter which shows 0.02  - very relieved but confirms that I have done a lot more research than him!! 

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 17:03

That's great news. If there's a < in front of it, it would be even better. If there is, it means it is the lowest result the lab measures to.

Edited by member 28 May 2024 at 21:04  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 17:20
As Adrian said, a <0.01 is what you would hope for but it's really a case of waiting for the next 3 month test. Even if it does start to rise then the treatment is Salvage Radiotherapy with maybe Hormone Therapy which about 30% of post RP men go through within the first year after surgery. I'm currently on Day 5 of the treatment and really with very few side effects from the RT, just a couple of minor effects from the HT - but to be honest I expected much worse so pleasantly surprised so far (but it's still early days)

Fingers crossed for the next PSA test :)

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 18:23

Mala, and relax, he isn't the first and he won't be the last to misread or misunderstand the result. Tell him he is very lucky to have you 🙂.

It is ideal to get a printed test result, and know what is your trigger point is. At 0.1 I was referred back to my surgeon for closer monitoring, I didn't start treatment until it was just over 0.2. Hopefully he will never need additional treatment.

Don't accept "it's normal", yet again my GP has reported my elevated PSA as normal,no action required.

Thanks Chris