I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bladder neck stenosis and General Anaesthetic

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 17:58

Hi, just wondering if anyone has a bladder neck stenosis/restriction  and had a General Anaesthetic for surgery for another health issue. If so did you need intervention re retention following the GA

I am asking as I do have bladder neck stenosis and may need surgery for chronic sinusitis but really worried I will go into retention following surgery due to the affect on the bladder from the GA. My urologist once told me not to let any Tom Dick or Harry near me with a catheter due to the stenosis but somehow I cannot see the nursing staff listening to me should I go into retention.

User
Posted 29 May 2024 at 20:01

Bri, looks like there is no one else in your situation. Have you discussed your concerns with your medical staff. I have probably mentioned this before, is it an option for urology to fit a catheter before the nose op, as insurance against retention, although I understand your reluctance to have it messed around with.There is also the option that they could fit a suprapubic catheter after the nose op if they can't get through the urethra ,but that would also need to be a urologist. My first SPC was an emergency intervention but I was already in the urology recovery room. I don't suppose putting a hole in a goodish bladder is an option you would like. 

Hope you find a suitable resolution.

I see J tomorrow, I will update after I have seen him.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 03 Jun 2024 at 16:58

Cheers Chris. I have done everything possible to avoid compromising my bladder for 11 years. I even had an op in 2019 under a local anaesthetic that was scheduled to be under a general anaesthetic to avoid sending me into retention as a side effect of the GA. 

Can the hole from a suprapubic cathetar heal up?

i am going to ask if my op can be done under a local in the first instance 

Cheers Bri

User
Posted 03 Jun 2024 at 17:42

Bri, the suprapubic hole does heal, I fact it heals very quickly, If my catheter came out I would need to be at the hospital within thirty minutes. When they take the spc out permanently they just hold a finger on the hole for a few minutes. What it does to the inside of the bladder I don't know.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 03 Jun 2024 at 18:01
Cheers Chris