I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Penile Incontinence Clamps

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 21:42

I was rather surprised when a highly regarded urology consultant recommended I use a penile incontinence clamp. I’ve been moderately incontinent since a salvage prostatectomy in Dec 2021 and won’t have the opportunity of having an artificial urinary sphincter fitted soon due to recurrent bladder neck stenosis.

I always thought that penile clamps could only be used for 1 or 2 hours at a time to avoid blood circulation problems but my consultant says I can wear Dribblestop or Pacey Cuff Ultra all day if I want to as long as I release the device every two to four hours to urinate (if I only I could last 4 hours!). My consultant says that both these clamps do not apply any pressure to the sides of the penis so blood circulation is unrestricted.

So, I thought I’d give them a go. I bought the Dribblestop first as you get two for £64 whereas the Pacey Cuff Ultra costs £79 each. I also felt the Dribblestop had better reviews. Both are expensive for what they are but the thought of not having to wear external catheters again and reducing the number of damp/wet pants/pads, in my view, made it well worth it. Recently I bought the Pacey Cuff Ultra as a comparison and in the knowledge that I can send it back for a full refund within 30 days if I either do not like it or it is not as effective as I need.

I’m still evaluating the Pacey Cuff Ultra so I’ll report on the Dribblestop.

Necessity is the mother of invention and the Dribblestop device was invented by Henry Rennich a Canadian who became incontinent after a prostatectomy at the age of 72. He was unhappy with the clamps available at the time and spent many years inventing his own using men from his local prostate cancer support group as guinea pigs. I also understand that he wore his final design for over 15 years until his death at the grand age of 94.

For me it took a bit of getting used to – only because I’ve never had anything like it on my penis before! It comes with 3 sizes of plastic rectangular links for adjustment. There are also 2 settings on either side of the clamp for the links to clip into to – so there are plenty of adjustment options. The top and bottom clamps have foam which squeezes onto the top and bottom of the penis when in place, putting pressure on the urethra. After a few trials of various settings I found the best adjustment for me and it didn’t take long before I could go hours forgetting it was there, especially if I was busy. As one review I read said …….. “it’s a bit like wearing spectacles, it’s strange at first but soon you hardly notice it”. I can now wear it for up to 10 hours releasing it to urinate every hour or two and I could wear it for longer if I wanted to. It’s extremely easy to put on, adjust, release to urinate and take off. Also easy to clean and dries quickly. It’s also effective! I’m virtually dry when I have it set to what I find is the best combination of links and settings for me. The only time I leak a little is if I’m doing particularly heavy work. Sometimes I adjust it to a looser setting if I’m just sitting for long periods and then it leaks a little more if I start to move about but it’s still pretty good. I have taken the bike out for a short 6 mile cycle with it on and had a good 25 minute kick around with a football down the park with the grandkids wearing the clamp. Although I leaked a little more doing these activities it was nowhere near as much as I would have done without the device and I hardly knew I was wearing it. I always wear a pad for insurance. I don’t wear it overnight as I don’t leak when lying down but I understand you can, in which case they suggest loosening it off a little. You need to change which device you use each day to allow the foam to keep its shape – hence why they provide two when you purchase them.

I’ve also contacted the Dribblestop company by email a couple of times with questions and received useful prompt answers.

What’s the catch I hear you say. It can be a bit uncomfortable at times. The whole device is quite long with the hard plastic adjustment part sticking out on either side of the clamp. These can feel uncomfortable depending what you’re wearing and what position you are in. Fortunately this only happens occasionally and even then you get used to it. I have also read that when you’re incontinent your bladder shrinks as it never fills up. Presumably these devices allow your bladder to stretch somewhat.

As mentioned I’m still getting used to the Pacey Cuff Ultra. Initial thoughts are that it’s more difficult and fiddly to put on and adjust although I may get a little better at this in time. It also takes longer to dry after washing but on the plus side it’s possibly slightly more comfortable.

User
Posted 29 May 2024 at 08:56
That's a brilliant solution for you however I would caution that it might not be for everyone especially if they have some degree of control over incontinence as it takes over from the need for muscle control and those muscles are likely to atrophy quickly if not being used regularly to retain urine.

I'm sure there are many who have not been able to master control and so this could be a great alternative to external catheter and heavy duty pads.

I was told that my RT team have them available for men who cannot retain urine during the RT session - fortunately I have developed pretty good control most of the time - but I do need to keep up with the exercises :)

User
Posted 29 May 2024 at 10:55

Yes Steve - you're absolutely right. This is a great solution for men who are still incontinent a year or so after treatment and have been told by their consultant that they are unlikely to regain control of their bladder.

User
Posted 29 May 2024 at 20:04

Thanks for the comprehensive resume on penile clamps Zumerset. I always thought they were generally not recommended, so it's interesting to hear your urologist's view on them. I am fortunate that my incontinence is good, with the exception of walking long distances. In fact the further I walk the leakage rate seems to increase exponentially. I use heavy pads when walking and usually need to make at least one pad change during the walk. That's not always convenient when you are on the hoof and even worse if you need a clothes change. What would be your view on the comfort factor wearing a clamp for a few hours walking? Chris

User
Posted 30 May 2024 at 15:26

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks for the comprehensive resume on penile clamps Zumerset. I always thought they were generally not recommended, so it's interesting to hear your urologist's view on them. I am fortunate that my incontinence is good, with the exception of walking long distances. In fact the further I walk the leakage rate seems to increase exponentially. I use heavy pads when walking and usually need to make at least one pad change during the walk. That's not always convenient when you are on the hoof and even worse if you need a clothes change. What would be your view on the comfort factor wearing a clamp for a few hours walking? Chris

Hi Chris

They are not recommended for for folk who are still recovering from a prostatectomy and via pelvis floor exercises etc are hoping to regain continence. This is because they want those folk to continue to strengthen their pelvic floor muscles. After a year of being incontinent my surgeon told me that it would be unlikely I would regain continence and referred me to have an artificial urinary sphincter fitted. However, for me,  this procedure has been delayed twice due to a recurring bladder neck stenosis. The first time they dilated it and the second time incised it and are now waiting 6 months to see if it returns.

I'm guessing your incontinence gets worse the further you walk due to your pelvic floor muscles tiring. Is your continence continuing to improve or is it steady now?

I think the dribblestop clamp would be ideal for you when walking once you have found the optimum setup for you. I hardly know I have mine on these days - as I said it's a bit like the first time you wear contact lenses or glasses ........ you are aware of them at first, they even feel slightly uncomfortable ...... but you soon get used to them and forget you're wearing them. Also, the more I'm doing the more likely I am to not to be aware I'm wearing one!

As you gather from my post I think they are great and the dribblestop has made a big positive difference to my life. The consultant who recommended them, and said that these two models are safe to wear all day, is a renowned Bristol based professor so I am confident about his recommendation. He even wrote to my GP to say that he had recommended them.

Let me know how you get on if you do try the dribblestop.

I had brachytherapy in 2015 and cancer returned in 2021. I then had a salvage prostatectomy but alas my PSA did not become undetectable and continues to rise slowly. I expect at sometime they will start me on hormone treatment so I may be coming to you for your experience on HT sometime.

Edited by member 30 May 2024 at 15:28  | Reason: spelling mistake

User
Posted 30 May 2024 at 15:34
Just had to laugh - I was reading Chris's post about the leaking getting worse when walking and an image came to mind of The Great Escape (I believe) where the inmates, in order to hide the earth from the tunnel, had bags inside their trousers, and when the guards weren't watching, they released the earth onto the ground.

You could do something similar with a bag and piece of silcone tube down your trouser leg and just release the flow when no-one is watching - mind you, you might need to wait for a rainy day :)

Sorry, I'm just in one of those happy moods today :)

User
Posted 30 May 2024 at 18:32

Thanks Zummerset.  I'm seeing my Urologists in four weeks time for a check up so I'll run it past him. I'm certainly up for giving it a trial. I'm not sure about giving Steve's idea trial though. It brings back memories of the dreaded catheter bag

User
Posted 30 May 2024 at 18:46

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Just had to laugh - I was reading Chris's post about the leaking getting worse when walking and an image came to mind of The Great Escape (I believe) where the inmates, in order to hide the earth from the tunnel, had bags inside their trousers, and when the guards weren't watching, they released the earth onto the ground.

You could do something similar with a bag and piece of silcone tube down your trouser leg and just release the flow when no-one is watching - mind you, you might need to wait for a rainy day :)

Sorry, I'm just in one of those happy moods today :)

🤣😂🤣