I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Metabolism and Ketogenic Diet

User
Posted 30 May 2024 at 19:01

By chance a YouTube video came up while I was painting some furniture.  It was on a Prostate Cancer Channel by Dr Geo Esinosa who was talking to Dr Thomas Seyfried who has spent his life studying cell reaction to cancer.

It's a long video but around the 20th minute it became interesting and at 30 minutes inspiring, slowing down my painting job, as he spoke of the reaction of mitochondria to glucose and glutamine and how it can convert to fermentation for survival from the normal oxidation.  Once this happens the normal controls of growth are inhibited.  The immune system notices something is wrong but its solution is to pour petrol onto the fire. 

His suggestion, is that the Glusose Ketonic Index, GKI, should be reduced to less than 2.  That means reducing carbs, glucose and glutamine and fatty acids.  He also said the Prostate tends to look like a cancerous cell even when normal but it's especially responsive to reductions in glutamine.   

He says his studies show reducing GKI can slow, stabilise and in some cases reduce cancers.  He doesn't think by itself it's a cure but says metabolism doesn't get a lot of attention because funding goes into genetics and drugs.  He says metabolism should be part of everyone's treatment and can help with many common complaints not just cancer.

That's what I took from the video and it suggests other reading.   It needs another viewing with some note taking I think.   So for now I'm interested and will look into more.  All the best fellow travellers, Peter

Here's the link:  https://youtu.be/7juLmFS64Qk?si=x08IofX9vmsz-wzT

Edited by member 30 May 2024 at 21:58  | Reason: Amended KGI to GKI

User
Posted 13 Sep 2024 at 08:39

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

By chance a YouTube video came up while I was painting some furniture.  It was on a Prostate Cancer Channel by Dr Geo Esinosa who was talking to Dr Thomas Seyfried who has spent his life studying cell reaction to cancer.

It's a long video but around the 20th minute it became interesting and at 30 minutes inspiring, slowing down my painting job, as he spoke of the reaction of mitochondria to glucose and glutamine and how it can convert to fermentation for survival from the normal oxidation.  Once this happens the normal controls of growth are inhibited.  The immune system notices something is wrong but its solution is to pour petrol onto the fire. 

His suggestion, is that the Glusose Ketonic Index, GKI, should be reduced to less than 2.  That means reducing carbs, glucose and glutamine and fatty acids.  He also said the Prostate tends to look like a cancerous cell even when normal but it's especially responsive to reductions in glutamine.   

He says his studies show reducing GKI can slow, stabilise and in some cases reduce cancers.  He doesn't think by itself it's a cure but says metabolism doesn't get a lot of attention because funding goes into genetics and drugs.  He says metabolism should be part of everyone's treatment and can help with many common complaints not just cancer.

That's what I took from the video and it suggests other reading.   It needs another viewing with some note taking I think.   So for now I'm interested and will look into more.  All the best fellow travellers, Peter

Here's the link:  https://youtu.be/7juLmFS64Qk/geometry dash lite?si=x08IofX9vmsz-wzT

I really appreciate it. I've been researching everything you say, and for the past three years, I've been on an intermittent fasting, no-sugar, no-carb, oxalate, alcohol-free, and gluten-free diet. It has fixed a lot of my health problems. My pre-diabetes, insulin resistance, liver, kidneys, heart, and cancer have all been under control.  I'm in great health. Right now, my spouse is recovering from prostate cancer.  It surprises me that I can understand anything you're saying.  Simply put, the cancer researchers don't want to lose their cash cow.

Edited by member 16 Sep 2024 at 02:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Sep 2024 at 09:31

I think wepide's post is suspicious. Don't click on any links. It's been reported.

Although I notice another I reported has been deleted so maybe this is accepted.

Edited by member 13 Sep 2024 at 09:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Sep 2024 at 10:01

Hi Peter.

I know you have a keen interest in dietary research. My take on diets is simple. Our bodies are a biological engines. Like mechanical engines, better fuel, better maintenance, will produce better  performance.

I'm sure for most people,  if they eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly, they'll be healthier.

I've made a few lifestyle changes which I think improved my health. I packed in smoking years ago and I diet, when I feel I'm  carrying a few extra pounds. I also used to exercise a lot when I was younger, so much so, that it lead to arthritis.

I am 67 years old now. I don't want to avoid certain foods and alcohol to be healthier. That's a step too far for me. Although it would undoubtedly improve my general health, it would spoil my quality of life.

I don't want to live x years longer by having to make my life less pleasurable.

I too, think wepide's post is odd, but can't see any scam links in it. The views expressed in it are very similar to another poster on here. Perhaps they've gone under-cover. 🤔

The comment that cancer researchers don't want to lose their cash cow, is ridiculous, especially as it's made on a cancer researchers site. 😂

Edited by member 13 Sep 2024 at 10:36  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 13 Sep 2024 at 13:32

Hi Adrian, this thread is 4 months old but was replied to at 4am today. 

Not many reply to my diet posts but I don't mind as they're there for reference if I or anyone wants to look. 

The video I posted yesterday by Dr Geo is more philosophical about the meaning of quality of life and lifestyle choices.  I would post something I agree with.

Keep up the good postings, Peter