I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Urgency to wee post surgery

User
Posted 13 Jun 2024 at 11:04

My surgery was just over three weeks ago and the catheter was removed nearly two weeks ago.

I have been trying not to over do things as I had over exerted myself and ended up with blood and small clots in my urine after deciding to paint a garden fence last week.

The rest seems to have helped although this week I have noticed that I seem to be getting an aching in the bladder when weeing and my frequency to need the toilet seems to have increased. My bladder does not seem to want to retain much before I need to go.

I understand things are still settling down after surgery and my nurse has tried to reassure me but I just wanted some perspective from other people post surgery.

Generally, continence has been ok - I just need to be careful when I sneeze, stand up too quickly or feel the need to pass wind 😀.

User
Posted 13 Jun 2024 at 14:27

Sounds like you are doing OK Sean, especially as you admit to over exertion. It's all still very raw. Small wounds on the outside but major work internally. Dont be in too much of a hurry. Give it time to heal and your body and brain time to adapt to your new physiology and you will be fine.

Best wishes, Peter

User
Posted 13 Jun 2024 at 20:57

Hi Sean, I'm a little ahead of you and 7 weeks post surgery. I still have some pain if I do too much so try to do a bit then see what reaction I have the following day before increasing things if all is ok. I've been surprised how long it takes to heal internally. 3 to 4 weeks post surgery I also had rose pee and small blood clots coming out. Nurses said it was fairly normal as long as its not deep red wine type wee. Continence wise in the first few weeks I also peed little and often as I think I was worried about peeing myself so kept myself drained. As the days go by you will get more confident and hold it longer. When I think I need to go I try and hold on for another 10 or 20 minutes to try and train my bladder a bit. Remember it's a major op and you heal on the outside as it's got the air to help but there's a lot inside that's been done and that's always moist so can take longer to heal, that's the nurses advise I was given.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Jun 2024 at 14:27

Sounds like you are doing OK Sean, especially as you admit to over exertion. It's all still very raw. Small wounds on the outside but major work internally. Dont be in too much of a hurry. Give it time to heal and your body and brain time to adapt to your new physiology and you will be fine.

Best wishes, Peter

User
Posted 13 Jun 2024 at 20:57

Hi Sean, I'm a little ahead of you and 7 weeks post surgery. I still have some pain if I do too much so try to do a bit then see what reaction I have the following day before increasing things if all is ok. I've been surprised how long it takes to heal internally. 3 to 4 weeks post surgery I also had rose pee and small blood clots coming out. Nurses said it was fairly normal as long as its not deep red wine type wee. Continence wise in the first few weeks I also peed little and often as I think I was worried about peeing myself so kept myself drained. As the days go by you will get more confident and hold it longer. When I think I need to go I try and hold on for another 10 or 20 minutes to try and train my bladder a bit. Remember it's a major op and you heal on the outside as it's got the air to help but there's a lot inside that's been done and that's always moist so can take longer to heal, that's the nurses advise I was given.

User
Posted 13 Jun 2024 at 21:09

Hi Sean,

It might be worth getting a urine test as you could have a UTI which can give these symptoms. I had 2 UTI following my RP and 2 courses of antibiotics before it cleared up.

With the stress incontinence, expect to have that for a another 2-3 months at least. It takes a long time for the body to fully heal. It looks like you are making a great recovery. Good luck!

User
Posted 15 Jun 2024 at 18:11

Thanks for the reply.

I have had my water tested and that is clear of infection.

The pain seeing is still present and seems worse at the start and at the end of flow.

I also have a full aching pain in the scrotum / testicle area which is stressing me out.

I know that I am still less than four weeks after surgery and I am hoping that these are common side effects which will get better with time.

User
Posted 15 Jun 2024 at 19:29

Hi Sean, what I've learnt from this forum is that everyone is different with their recovery but I was similar to you with the pain down below. Seven weeks post op I still get pain in this area if I strain too much and in particular trying to get out of bed in the morning. Also still get tummy pain on the right hand side occasionally. Hang in there things will improve.