Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Need your opinion please

User
Posted 17 Jun 2024 at 09:47

Hi everyone,

My name is Shalu, and I work in the Health Information team at Prostate Cancer UK. I’m currently updating our webpage about Olaparib treatment and need your help with choosing the best wording.

In the webpage, we explain how changes can occur in genes, we have noticed that there are many ways to describe this. We want your opinion on what is the most easy to understand?

I’m interested to know which of the following terms you find easier to understand:

• gene variant
  • gene mutation

Please could you respond in this thread with which term you would prefer to read in this webpage?

Thank you for your help!

User
Posted 17 Jun 2024 at 18:51

Hi

I would find Gene mutation easier, assuming you are talking about a gene that is an abnormal. 

User
Posted 17 Jun 2024 at 19:16

Another vote for gene mutation.

(It's sound more exciting, like the X-men.😉)

User
Posted 17 Jun 2024 at 20:31

Same thought, gene mutation in this context.

Gene variant might be more appropriate for, say, hair colour, even though there isn't really any difference between the two cases. That kind of suggests a mutation is perhaps an undesirable change and a variant is a fairly neutral change, which again doesn't really make sense.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2024 at 22:16
I’ll go with gene mutation too. Sorry Andy 62 to be flippant but I read your response and immediately thought of Spock 🤣🤣
User
Posted 18 Jun 2024 at 09:09

I was just acknowledging how illogical my gut reaction is. (OK, that sounds like Spock too;-)

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Jun 2024 at 18:51

Hi

I would find Gene mutation easier, assuming you are talking about a gene that is an abnormal. 

User
Posted 17 Jun 2024 at 19:16

Another vote for gene mutation.

(It's sound more exciting, like the X-men.😉)

User
Posted 17 Jun 2024 at 20:31

Same thought, gene mutation in this context.

Gene variant might be more appropriate for, say, hair colour, even though there isn't really any difference between the two cases. That kind of suggests a mutation is perhaps an undesirable change and a variant is a fairly neutral change, which again doesn't really make sense.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2024 at 22:16
I’ll go with gene mutation too. Sorry Andy 62 to be flippant but I read your response and immediately thought of Spock 🤣🤣
User
Posted 18 Jun 2024 at 09:09

I was just acknowledging how illogical my gut reaction is. (OK, that sounds like Spock too;-)