I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post histology.

User
Posted 20 Jun 2024 at 22:34

I joined a couple of months ago to ask a biopsy question and folk here were very helpful. I said at the time I'd respond later with my experiences so far in case anyone is interested. Here goes:

Firstly, I hit 65 and with no symptoms and no family history I thought I'd breeze though my first PSA test. I've been a runner for 30 years so I'm reasonably fit. No fears ... Wrong. PSA of 6.7.

MRI scan showed moderately sized tumour at apex, right up against the prostate capsule. T2 and Likert 5. 

Biopsy 3:4, so seemingly not that bad as it was contained - supposedly. No chance of focal treatment, so I chose to have my prostate removed. Surgery was 3 weeks ago. 

Histology today showed the cancer had in fact escaped (T3), but as I'd agreed with the surgeon to excise widely to try and contain any potential escaping cancer, I seem to have got away with it as the histology indicated negative margins.

The subsequent PSAs will determine whether any malignant cells have escaped, possibly during surgery.

Oddly this "journey" has not been especially stressful. I would not have expected this. Many times I have asked myself why this is. I did the obvious research and asked around, but the responses I got varied widely. I slowly realised that much of the info on the web and others' experiences were often out of date. Things are moving quickly with prostate cancer and what I read from only a few years back was not now relevant and frequently misleading. We know catching this disease early is important, but the more I discovered about it, the more I began to appreciate that many/most (?) men diagnosed with this disease these days, even at later stages in the disease's progression, can hope that it can be either cured or be kept under control for many years. I fully appreciate this is not always the case and some men sadly do not have this experience. 

Obviously I have some way to go with my disease, but the realisation that treatments and an ever improving understanding of the quality of life versus risks equation are improving rapidly, did help me a lot to get to this stage without too much negative panic. 

So to anyone still reading this I'd say, do your research. Get clued up at each stage about all the possibly paths that you may end up following, BUT - and this is key - try not to get too distracted by old data and don't panic if you possibly can. Be prepared. Perhaps set your mind to position your head in the middle ground - not worse case or not being lucky and getting a 3:3 and escaping treatment. This will allow some mental wiggle room when the diagnosis is received. And remember to get as many medical opinions as you can for your own particular case. Everyone is different and generalised and dated opinions can be especially unhelpful. 

I won't attempt to comment on the joys of the biopsy, the surgical experience, nor the subsequent plumbing issues - personally I'm having a hard time with leakages. There's a ton of views to read about individuals' experiences, but as we're all different I can't see I can add much. 

Good luck ...

If anyone is interested in this I'll post again with my experiences further down the line, even if I end up having to have radiotherapy for any escaped cells. 

PS. I'm trying to embrace this post-operative recovery time. Walking several miles a day, avoiding most jobs (my supportive wife has helped enormously by picking up the slack) and spending hours escaping with books, audiobooks and painting - all of which I rarely allowed myself time to enjoy before this. Trying to keep positive having set my mind to thinking that with this annoying gland, now removed, won't be able to bother me ever again. Hopefully ... 

User
Posted 20 Jun 2024 at 22:34

I joined a couple of months ago to ask a biopsy question and folk here were very helpful. I said at the time I'd respond later with my experiences so far in case anyone is interested. Here goes:

Firstly, I hit 65 and with no symptoms and no family history I thought I'd breeze though my first PSA test. I've been a runner for 30 years so I'm reasonably fit. No fears ... Wrong. PSA of 6.7.

MRI scan showed moderately sized tumour at apex, right up against the prostate capsule. T2 and Likert 5. 

Biopsy 3:4, so seemingly not that bad as it was contained - supposedly. No chance of focal treatment, so I chose to have my prostate removed. Surgery was 3 weeks ago. 

Histology today showed the cancer had in fact escaped (T3), but as I'd agreed with the surgeon to excise widely to try and contain any potential escaping cancer, I seem to have got away with it as the histology indicated negative margins.

The subsequent PSAs will determine whether any malignant cells have escaped, possibly during surgery.

Oddly this "journey" has not been especially stressful. I would not have expected this. Many times I have asked myself why this is. I did the obvious research and asked around, but the responses I got varied widely. I slowly realised that much of the info on the web and others' experiences were often out of date. Things are moving quickly with prostate cancer and what I read from only a few years back was not now relevant and frequently misleading. We know catching this disease early is important, but the more I discovered about it, the more I began to appreciate that many/most (?) men diagnosed with this disease these days, even at later stages in the disease's progression, can hope that it can be either cured or be kept under control for many years. I fully appreciate this is not always the case and some men sadly do not have this experience. 

Obviously I have some way to go with my disease, but the realisation that treatments and an ever improving understanding of the quality of life versus risks equation are improving rapidly, did help me a lot to get to this stage without too much negative panic. 

So to anyone still reading this I'd say, do your research. Get clued up at each stage about all the possibly paths that you may end up following, BUT - and this is key - try not to get too distracted by old data and don't panic if you possibly can. Be prepared. Perhaps set your mind to position your head in the middle ground - not worse case or not being lucky and getting a 3:3 and escaping treatment. This will allow some mental wiggle room when the diagnosis is received. And remember to get as many medical opinions as you can for your own particular case. Everyone is different and generalised and dated opinions can be especially unhelpful. 

I won't attempt to comment on the joys of the biopsy, the surgical experience, nor the subsequent plumbing issues - personally I'm having a hard time with leakages. There's a ton of views to read about individuals' experiences, but as we're all different I can't see I can add much. 

Good luck ...

If anyone is interested in this I'll post again with my experiences further down the line, even if I end up having to have radiotherapy for any escaped cells. 

PS. I'm trying to embrace this post-operative recovery time. Walking several miles a day, avoiding most jobs (my supportive wife has helped enormously by picking up the slack) and spending hours escaping with books, audiobooks and painting - all of which I rarely allowed myself time to enjoy before this. Trying to keep positive having set my mind to thinking that with this annoying gland, now removed, won't be able to bother me ever again. Hopefully ... 

User
Posted 21 Jun 2024 at 10:23

Barry, very true about old data, also worth noting that new attitudes and treatments are still being analysed. My own salvage treatments changed as scanning techniques got better.

Good that you are having a positive attitude to your journey. It took me a year or so to stop worrying about results and tests, now over ten years into my journey,I just accept the results and ask what's the plan.

Best wishes with your future journey.

Thanks Chris.

User
Posted 21 Jun 2024 at 07:18
Thanks Barry, hope the leakage sorts itself out soon..
User
Posted 21 Jun 2024 at 09:18

Thanks for the update Barry, and good luck with the plumbing issues 👍

User
Posted 21 Jun 2024 at 20:05
Thanks for the update Barry and the leakage will get better if you are doing the exercises. I was lucky enough to get perineal physiotherapy for 12 sessions and that really helped.

I was the same T3 diagnosis and despite the surgeon taking the nerve bundles, some cells were left behind so although I had a <0.01 after the RP, 9 months later I hit the 0.2 and so am currently on day 20 of salvage radiotherapy - I'm doing a day by day account if you want to have a read but it isn't a bad experience at all IF it's needed - hopefully it won't be.

Fingers crossed for you.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2024 at 22:11
Good luck Barry, just to say I like your positive attitude. Leaking is something many of us have had to get used to, and I hope you get on top of that - it does get better with time. At 3 weeks post surgery you seem to be doing amazingly well, it took quite a lot longer for me to be doing walks of any length.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Jun 2024 at 07:18
Thanks Barry, hope the leakage sorts itself out soon..
User
Posted 21 Jun 2024 at 08:45

Hi Barry. Thanks for the update and very helpful post. Please continue to inform us of your progress.

I had Gleason 9 (4+5) plus EPE, T3a. My surgeon, like yours, removed more to be on the safe side.

16 months later and my PSA is still undetectable ( touchwood). I have full bladder control and get aided erections. I feel very lucky, that at present, I've made such a good and speedy recovery. I hope yours is similar.

All the best mate.

Edited by member 21 Jun 2024 at 20:12  | Reason: typo

User
Posted 21 Jun 2024 at 09:18

Thanks for the update Barry, and good luck with the plumbing issues 👍

User
Posted 21 Jun 2024 at 10:23

Barry, very true about old data, also worth noting that new attitudes and treatments are still being analysed. My own salvage treatments changed as scanning techniques got better.

Good that you are having a positive attitude to your journey. It took me a year or so to stop worrying about results and tests, now over ten years into my journey,I just accept the results and ask what's the plan.

Best wishes with your future journey.

Thanks Chris.

User
Posted 21 Jun 2024 at 19:51

Thank you, Adrian. It's reassuring to hear a similar story. 

User
Posted 21 Jun 2024 at 20:02

Having had another wet walk today, staying positive can be a challenge. I'm trying all the possible distraction techniques I can think of to usefully use my time as I proceed through this.

Chris, after your 10 years I can understand why you've adjusted to the test/results cycle as you will have had a fair few by now. Hope things stay on track for you.

User
Posted 21 Jun 2024 at 20:05
Thanks for the update Barry and the leakage will get better if you are doing the exercises. I was lucky enough to get perineal physiotherapy for 12 sessions and that really helped.

I was the same T3 diagnosis and despite the surgeon taking the nerve bundles, some cells were left behind so although I had a <0.01 after the RP, 9 months later I hit the 0.2 and so am currently on day 20 of salvage radiotherapy - I'm doing a day by day account if you want to have a read but it isn't a bad experience at all IF it's needed - hopefully it won't be.

Fingers crossed for you.

User
Posted 21 Jun 2024 at 21:17

Thanks for replying Steve. I read throughout your account - seems you've had a rough time. Hope the radiotherapy clears it all up.

When you had your histology did your report show some positive margins? (Sorry if I missed this). I was lucky to be all negative, though I don't know if it the pathologist actually can test around 100% of the prostate. 

User
Posted 22 Jun 2024 at 09:13
It's been a journey so far but hey ho, 'that's life' :)

The histology report showed negative margins but the surgeon believed that there we some cells left behind. Hence the initial <0.01 3 months after the RP and then the slow growth up to the magic 0.2

However the oncologist seemed to think that the HT and RT would sort it out - in fact he said I could finish HT after 6 months if I wanted or keep going for the full 12 months. As the side effects are so minimal (the occasional hot flush and no libido) for us then I'll probably stick out for the full 12 to give it all the best chance.

User
Posted 22 Jun 2024 at 09:27

Thanks for that info Steve. Pleased that your prognosis looks good. It's reassuring that for you the HT is not causing you too many issues. It's a a path I think I would struggle with as my running/cycling is important to me and HT can hit some folk hard, it seems. 

I believe this forum does help others a lot to pick out bits from these postings and, hopefully, in more cases than not to get reassurance that in most cases they/we can get through this. Being open and responsive is key. 

User
Posted 24 Jun 2024 at 22:11
Good luck Barry, just to say I like your positive attitude. Leaking is something many of us have had to get used to, and I hope you get on top of that - it does get better with time. At 3 weeks post surgery you seem to be doing amazingly well, it took quite a lot longer for me to be doing walks of any length.