I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Where do you get your PSA tests done?

User
Posted 22 Jun 2024 at 13:54

Just thought I'd raise this to see what happens with other people. Until recently, when a PSA test is due, Clatterbridge would send me a letter and enclosed a print copy of the PSA request form. I would then arrange an appointment at a local clinic for the bloods to be taken. There is usually a little grumble from the clinic in that the copy of the PSA form doesn't have the peel off labels which are then attached to the sample as it goes off to be processed. They have to use scissors and rubber bands!

Lately Clatterbridge have gone digital so my letters now come as a link in a text message. No problem but no PSA form. When I spoke to my new oncologist recently he said "please get a PSA test done, through the GP, two weeks before our appointment."

Is this the normal procedure for PSA tests? Will my GP surgery be able to supply me with forms ensuring the results go to my oncologist? I'll ask, obviously, but interested to know what others routinely do.

User
Posted 22 Jun 2024 at 16:02

This varies widely in different areas.

My GP and hospital use the same lab and forms.

If the form is issued by the hospital, I can use the hospital's drop-in clinic, or book an appointment at the GP, or book an appointment at a (different) town centre blood clinic.

If the form is booked by the GP, same options except I can't use the hospital's drop-in clinic.

These rules have changed multiple times during and since COVID. At one point, GP even stopped doing blood tests, and then GP ones could only be done in a different town centre. (They do them again now.)

Neither the GP nor the hospital can see the result unless they ordered the test, so I always pass the result to the other one too. One time, I had a blood test form from both GP and hospital. Phlebotomist took one blood vial covering both sets of tests. They could still only see the results each had requested and not the other's results. However, I did find that a local pharmacist could look online and see all my blood tests results!

If my GP gets the result, it appears quickly on their website portal so I can get it from there. The hospital has no links to any patient portals, so I have to email the CNS to request it a few days later, and they email it back (or occasionally post it).

Easiest for me is to get the form from the hospital, and use the hospital's drop-in clinic. There's an "also report to:" field on the form, and if I write my GP in there, sometimes they get the result too, and it therefore quickly appears on their website portal so I can get it from there.

Oh, and my treatment is split between two hospitals, and neither can see any records or test results done by the other.

Edited by member 23 Jun 2024 at 15:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Jun 2024 at 17:51

Hi Pete. 

Whilst on Active Surveillance, my CNS, based at a local hospital would send me PSA blood forms every three months, and I would take these to my GP surgery, where I'd have the blood taken. The results would be then sent back to the hospital. I would then have to wait several days to get the results from the hospital as the CNS rarely answered my calls. At this time my my GP and the hospital were in the same NHS Trust. 

When I had my prostatectomy I was sent to a different hospital in another neighbouring NHS Trust. My GP then refused to take my blood tests on budgetary grounds, as they were in different Trusts.  I was instructed that I would have to go to the hospital where I had the op and have my PSA test done there. This involved a three hour car journey instead of a 5 minute walk to my surgery.

I complained about this and threatened to take the issue to my local MP.

I am still currently having my blood tests done by my GP, who is now on system online. I can access my own records and get my PSA results within 24 hours.

However, I have to pass my results myself to the hospital where I was operated on so that my consultant is aware of them. Despite me always ensuring that I pass on the information, on my last telephonic consultation, the consultant told me me that he had no record of my last 3 PSA results. I gave him them over the phone during the consultation.

What a ridiculous state of affairs it is.

I've basically lost faith in the system. I mark my calendar, when I'm due a test. Wander down the surgery, and tell them I need a test. They do it within a day or two. I get my results and phone them through to the hospital, where someone obviously throws them in bin.๐Ÿคจ

At least I know my results, even if the appropriate clinicians don't. It's just as well  I'm decent at DIY. ๐Ÿ˜

Edited by member 22 Jun 2024 at 18:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Jun 2024 at 18:18

HI Pete, 

Asking the GP should be fairly normal as that's where you end up when you're discharged from hospital.  I was about to be discharged after 5yrs but my psa became detectable so they kept me on.

psa testing has a lot of variations. 

I go to a hospital 15 miles away where I had the op, and have done for nearly 8yrs.

I've had one psa test at my GP and one at the local hospital and both times I had to verbally advise the hospital I use.

You may be aware that results between labs can be different and it's advised to use the same place.  Even the same place can be different but using the same place is likely to be more consistent.

User
Posted 22 Jun 2024 at 18:29

If my consultant sends a letter saying I will see him in three months with a blood test prior to attending I just point that out to the GP and they give me a form. I take the form to a regional phlebotomy service and they do the test. 

My hospital can see all tests I have done but my GP can only see tests they have requested. My GP practice is not very good with knowing what is a good or poor result for me.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 23 Jun 2024 at 13:00

I don't seem to need a blood form. I just ring GP reception and tell them I need a PSA test. I usually ask for a serum ferritin test (separate issue) as well. If the receptionist gives me any back chat, I tell them it has been requested by the hospital.

The nurse does write out forms and stickers and puts them on phials etc. so I guess in that sense I do need a blood form, but it's not something I have to worry about.

I can see results on GP system about a day or two later. Onco isn't able to see GP records and vice versa. So I have to tell anyone who wants to know verbally.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Jun 2024 at 16:02

This varies widely in different areas.

My GP and hospital use the same lab and forms.

If the form is issued by the hospital, I can use the hospital's drop-in clinic, or book an appointment at the GP, or book an appointment at a (different) town centre blood clinic.

If the form is booked by the GP, same options except I can't use the hospital's drop-in clinic.

These rules have changed multiple times during and since COVID. At one point, GP even stopped doing blood tests, and then GP ones could only be done in a different town centre. (They do them again now.)

Neither the GP nor the hospital can see the result unless they ordered the test, so I always pass the result to the other one too. One time, I had a blood test form from both GP and hospital. Phlebotomist took one blood vial covering both sets of tests. They could still only see the results each had requested and not the other's results. However, I did find that a local pharmacist could look online and see all my blood tests results!

If my GP gets the result, it appears quickly on their website portal so I can get it from there. The hospital has no links to any patient portals, so I have to email the CNS to request it a few days later, and they email it back (or occasionally post it).

Easiest for me is to get the form from the hospital, and use the hospital's drop-in clinic. There's an "also report to:" field on the form, and if I write my GP in there, sometimes they get the result too, and it therefore quickly appears on their website portal so I can get it from there.

Oh, and my treatment is split between two hospitals, and neither can see any records or test results done by the other.

Edited by member 23 Jun 2024 at 15:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Jun 2024 at 17:51

Hi Pete. 

Whilst on Active Surveillance, my CNS, based at a local hospital would send me PSA blood forms every three months, and I would take these to my GP surgery, where I'd have the blood taken. The results would be then sent back to the hospital. I would then have to wait several days to get the results from the hospital as the CNS rarely answered my calls. At this time my my GP and the hospital were in the same NHS Trust. 

When I had my prostatectomy I was sent to a different hospital in another neighbouring NHS Trust. My GP then refused to take my blood tests on budgetary grounds, as they were in different Trusts.  I was instructed that I would have to go to the hospital where I had the op and have my PSA test done there. This involved a three hour car journey instead of a 5 minute walk to my surgery.

I complained about this and threatened to take the issue to my local MP.

I am still currently having my blood tests done by my GP, who is now on system online. I can access my own records and get my PSA results within 24 hours.

However, I have to pass my results myself to the hospital where I was operated on so that my consultant is aware of them. Despite me always ensuring that I pass on the information, on my last telephonic consultation, the consultant told me me that he had no record of my last 3 PSA results. I gave him them over the phone during the consultation.

What a ridiculous state of affairs it is.

I've basically lost faith in the system. I mark my calendar, when I'm due a test. Wander down the surgery, and tell them I need a test. They do it within a day or two. I get my results and phone them through to the hospital, where someone obviously throws them in bin.๐Ÿคจ

At least I know my results, even if the appropriate clinicians don't. It's just as well  I'm decent at DIY. ๐Ÿ˜

Edited by member 22 Jun 2024 at 18:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Jun 2024 at 18:18

HI Pete, 

Asking the GP should be fairly normal as that's where you end up when you're discharged from hospital.  I was about to be discharged after 5yrs but my psa became detectable so they kept me on.

psa testing has a lot of variations. 

I go to a hospital 15 miles away where I had the op, and have done for nearly 8yrs.

I've had one psa test at my GP and one at the local hospital and both times I had to verbally advise the hospital I use.

You may be aware that results between labs can be different and it's advised to use the same place.  Even the same place can be different but using the same place is likely to be more consistent.

User
Posted 22 Jun 2024 at 18:29

If my consultant sends a letter saying I will see him in three months with a blood test prior to attending I just point that out to the GP and they give me a form. I take the form to a regional phlebotomy service and they do the test. 

My hospital can see all tests I have done but my GP can only see tests they have requested. My GP practice is not very good with knowing what is a good or poor result for me.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 22 Jun 2024 at 19:01

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Good point. The lab my GP uses measures down to 0.02 the hospital where I had the op measures down to 0.05.

This is why the < sign is so important. That sign in front of your reading means it's the lowest that that particular lab reads to.

User
Posted 23 Jun 2024 at 13:00

I don't seem to need a blood form. I just ring GP reception and tell them I need a PSA test. I usually ask for a serum ferritin test (separate issue) as well. If the receptionist gives me any back chat, I tell them it has been requested by the hospital.

The nurse does write out forms and stickers and puts them on phials etc. so I guess in that sense I do need a blood form, but it's not something I have to worry about.

I can see results on GP system about a day or two later. Onco isn't able to see GP records and vice versa. So I have to tell anyone who wants to know verbally.

Dave

User
Posted 23 Jun 2024 at 13:29

Thanks for all the responses guys. It's only become an issue since my hospital stopped sending out physical letters. Seems to vary a lot from place to place. I find it odd that the Onco can't see GP records - it must be all part of data protection. I'm going to contact the GP surgery early next week - they must have a few of us Pca guys on the books!

User
Posted 26 Jun 2024 at 11:06

I have a similar problem to Adrian, I moved house (within the same county) but covered by a different hospital trust.

I wanted to stay with the same oncology team so now have to travel to get my blood tests done, I was told that the blood tests could be done locally, which I did, but the results were never transferred. Now it’s digital that’s not possible anyway.

Stupidly I thought the NHS was all joined up.

One time the blood test request wasn’t sent through to the hospital and I had to phone through to oncology to get them to forward them.  Fortunately they did it and I didn’t have a wasted journey or another hour each way.

Now I have to double check every time to see if the request has been sent.  Yesterday I went through the process and the CNS came back and said the details were sent it April but that was for my oncology appointment  in May!  

I need the request for my July appointment.

User
Posted 26 Jun 2024 at 13:01

Hi AWR, another anomaly is, or was, that GP systems don't show the < sign. So they read 0.05 and not <0.05 which can cause worry.

I use a distant hospital and the CNS always gives me a telephone appointment via automated booking saying take a blood test one week before the date. Then the blood test request form and stickers arrive by post with a copy of the letter to the GP.  The GP then puts the letter on his system where I can read it on line.

Not exactly streamlined but it works.

User
Posted 26 Jun 2024 at 13:57
Systems certainly vary. My treating hospital in London wrote to my GP in Devon asking if I could have my PSA done at prescribed intervals at the surgery and this has been done. If I forget, I get a text reminder from the surgery to make an appointment. I then have the result for when UCLH check on me. The latter has now been extended to 6 monthly checks since I was told I was in remission and MRI has gone from once a year to once every 2 years. I can look up my PSA on my records or get the surgery to print it.
Barry
User
Posted 26 Jun 2024 at 15:57

Barry,

How do they transfer the results?  My local surgery told me it’s not possible, I’d like to not have to travel each time.

Thanks, Arthur 

User
Posted 27 Jun 2024 at 03:40
Arthur,

Hospital just rely on me having avaiable recent PSA when I have my telephone check up appointment with them. They wtite to my surgery if they want to make changes to PSA intervals. They also asked my surgery to do pre operative checks prior to my having the second HIFU. This saved me going to London as my GP was able to do most of the checks at the Surgery and to send samples of blood and urine for analysis and culture test locaally. The surgery contacted the hospital with these results directly, I think by fax.

Similarly, when I was unable to get my hospital prescribed eye drops, I rang the hospital to tell them and they wrote to my GPaskng if he would please prescribe an alternative they suggested, which he did. You would think that there would be a better way of communicating.

Barry
User
Posted 27 Jun 2024 at 10:11

Arthur, I am sure my private oncologist can access my blood results that I request from my GP. Although I sent him a copy of my test results he said his secretary had already got them.I wonder if it anything to do with me giving permission to other agencies to share my data. 

On a different theme I went to Wales a couple of weeks back and forgot one on my meds ,a quick phone call to a local welsh pharmacy and two hours later she had got a prescription for some replacement meds.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 27 Jun 2024 at 17:48

My hospital here in South wales has just sent, via post, a little clear bag with labels for a psa blood test to be done on 16th Sept. I went into the GP surgery to book for the 16th and they can't book that far in advance, I have to try again last week in July. Have to be honest the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport has been spot on with all my treatment, appointments and RP, they seem to be really on the ball. Hope the GP surgery can be as good now.