I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

84 year old with prostate cancer

User
Posted 04 Jul 2024 at 21:52

Hello, I am asking for some advice. My Dad is 84 years old. He was diagnosed with low grade prostate cancer in 2012.  His PSA was 1.  He has an enlarged prostate.  In 2019 he had a urolift procedure which we thought would be less invasive?  However, he had terrible bleeding, blood clots and lots of pain and discomfort. In 2020 he was called to see the consultant as Dad's PSA had risen to 2.5.  Because Dad had had a bad experience with the urolift he refused a biopsy and treatment.  As time has gone on Dad's PSA has risen and his prostate gland has enlarged  causing him to have repeated urine infections.  The urologist consultant has suggested that my Dad has a TURP procedure.  My concern is that, with my Dad having heart failure, would he be able to cope with the general anesthetic and also if you start to cut into a gland that has cancer is there a chance that it could spread.  We don't want that to happen.  My Dad feels he's not fit to go ahead with the procedure even though he says he can't contine like he has been doing. Could you please advise or give any suggestion on what would be best for my Dad. My Dad's PSA at the moment is 4.6

Thank you in advance

User
Posted 05 Jul 2024 at 09:18
That's a tough one given his age and heart condition, however if the consultant has recommended it then the benefits must outweigh the risks. Prostate cancer is slow growing and I would think that any disturbance in the cancer cells would be unlikely to cause further complications in his expected lifespan. His quality of life is more important at this stage.

His PSA is low enough also at this stage to not be an issue. Remember that most men die with prostate cancer and not because of it.

Wishing you both the best of luck.

User
Posted 05 Jul 2024 at 11:23

One possibility would be for him to go on to hormone therapy. That will shrink the prostate and may alleviate the enlarged prostate symptoms, in addition to stopping the cancer for now. He could try it and see how he gets on.

He could even try just Bicalutamide alone (a hormone therapy which has fewer side effects, and strengthens rather than weakens bones). It typically works for up to a couple of years. If he came off it at that point and it had been successful, he could either switch to Finasteride to maintain the smaller prostate, or switch to hormone therapy injections.