I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Selfcheck Home PSA test

User
Posted 08 Jul 2024 at 15:28

Hi, I have just started HT tablets (last Saturday 6th Aug) with injections starting end of this week, and Radiotherapy in 3-4ish months time. I'd been wondering about my PSA level as the last test I had was January @ 7.6. I thought I'd try a home test, not totally sure why to be honest as it can only show if you're above 4. Anyway ordered a test, looks very similar to a COVID test just with more blood involved. Took it, came back negative! I assumed I did something wrong, so ordered another, followed the instructions to the letter, that gave a negative result too. 

So I'm thinking either I'm a medical marvel and I'm self curing (I like that idea) or the tests are not very accurate which is a bit alarming if anyone were to use one as their first check.

Has anyone tried one of these? I ordered mine from a reputable company known for making drugs that are super.

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 17:04

If you want a more accurate home PSA test, Graham Fullford (who are behind most the the charity testing) do a PSA test by post, which gives you the PSA level to 2 decimal places (when I tried it). You need to be up to pricking your finger and collecting about 15 drops of blood. Currently costs £28.

https://mypsatests.org.uk/Orders/

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 17:54

I think you are more likely to get nipple pain if you are on Bical for an extended period. I have not had anything like that and no formation of breast buds. I have slight moobs but that is down to weight gain…about 8kg😩 which I am now trying to lose….but it’s NOT easy!
Like you I was only on Bical for 4 weeks to prevent testosterone flair. In fact my nipples are the one area of my ‘zones’ which are still sensitive to touch, but in a pleasurable way. I lost my libido VERY quickly, hopefully it will return just as quick!🤣🤣🤣 (I’m not expecting miracles!). I’m going to keep my thread updated monthly or whenever I notice a change.

I try as much as possible to laugh at my side effects, but the only one that’s got me down really is joint ache, so I’m glad you’re remaining active and hopefully you’ll avoid that one. I think there should be more support for those of us on HT in this respect.

Derek

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 10:24

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

How soon did you find side effects of HT started to kick in, I'm feeling more tired, but I'm suspect it's just me looking for symptoms, plus I've been tired since all this started as I've not exactly been sleeping great for the last few months! ;)

Hi John.

For 2 months, I was put on the same dose of Bical as you whilst they were decided whether I was fit enough for surgery.

Pretty soon after starting it my nipples got very tender and slightly swollen. Like you, I felt fatigued, but I think that was more due to poor sleep caused by the uncertainty of my treatment plan, rather the chemical effects of HT.

Best of luck mate.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Jul 2024 at 16:07
I have never heard of a home PSA test that does not involve sending (or having collected) the sample for lab testing and given the way that PSA is measured it's never a positive or negative result anyway.

I suspect you live in the USA?

Just go and see your doctor and get a proper test.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2024 at 16:25

I'd not heard of them either until I googled. I'm in the UK, the test was supposed to indicate if your PSA is over 4, with a control line and another line appearing if positive.

I'm guessing since I've started HT my PSA will be coming down anyway, it was more out of curiosity and the fact I'd left it t a bit late to booking a test with the doctor. To be honest I thought they'd say no anyway as I've made my choice for treatment and it's all planned in.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2024 at 17:08
Yep, it's not something that seems to be recommended by the medical fraternity and may be something that one of those covid testing companies have decided to get into given we all seem to have forgotten about covid.

I'd save your money and just rely on a doctor prescribed test if you need one.

Highly unlikely (impossible?) that HT has affected your PSA just yet - it typically takes 3-6 months to affect it and then only very slowly. The drug has to bring your testosterone level down to <0.7 before it starts to starve the cancer cells.

So I think it's down to just a rubbish test - I'd try and get my money back if it's possible.

PS - we haven't got to August yet :)

Take care and glad you have a treatment plan organised.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2024 at 17:43

Hi John,

I know it’s not easy but just try and get on with your life without stressing over PSA levels all the time…and just bin these DIY tests. It’s bad enough having PSA anxiety every 3 months, so give the HT time to work and just get the normal tests, which are done properly. I think you’ll find that after 3 months your PSA will drop dramatically but then slow down. However if you’re having RT in 3 months that will drop it even further after that (not immediately) but hopefully your first test after it might be undetectable!

Good luck and have fun in the meantime to take your mind off it!😊

User
Posted 08 Jul 2024 at 19:22

I assume you meant the HT tablets started on the 6th July not August.

What have you started taking ? I doubt you will find any definite answer to your question. I was at odds with my oncologist for getting extra PSA tests done. Bicalutamide for example can apparently cause a rise as well as a fall in PSA. 

I don't know if you would find any research that does daily PSA tests after having HT. Likewise the same question would apply to PSA levels after RT or SRT.

I like data , I like to know what is happening,it's not anxiety it's just wanting to know is happening. 

Hope all goes well with your treatment.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2024 at 19:44

Thanks all for the replies, yep sorry meant July! It's 50mg Bicalutamide that I've just started taking for 28 days.

Decho, you're right I'll try and switch off for a bit, it's a massive relief something is now happening and it's sort of out of my hands now, just along for the ride.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2024 at 20:55

Thanks all for the replies, yep sorry meant July! It's 50mg Bicalutamide that I've just started taking for 28 days.

Decho, you're right I'll try and switch off for a bit, it's a massive relief something is now happening and it's sort of out of my hands now, just along for the ride.

A piece of advice I can give you through experience….put all your efforts into keeping your fitness and muscle levels high. Walking, swimming, gym(or resistance bands) and any other weight bearing exercises. If you’ve followed my journey you will know I’ve suffered real joint issues…I was doing fine up until RT started and then eased off and never got started again to the same level….BIG mistake! Some people aren’t bothered with side effects but others have their QOL affected by all sorts of side effects.

And if you want to have any sort of sex life after treatment is finished, get an appointment with an ED nurse who can give you advice and the tools to prevent loss of function. You’re probably going to suffer total loss of libido unless you’re very lucky, so if sex is important to you, you need to take action. In fact being proactive about all aspects of your treatment is really important.

Derek

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 10:02
Thanks Derek, I did read your story and it inspired me to try and maintain more active exercise regime. I started using weights a couple of months back and am cycling to work more regularly (I tended to be a fair weather cyclist) I'm hoping getting in to a more regular routine whilst I can will help me carry on when things get harder.

You're definitely right about being proactive about treatment. My last meeting with the oncologist I asked about having a gel spacer during RT treatment, it wasn't going to be offered, I've requested to say I would like one I'm hoping they will agree to me having it. Same goes for ED nurse meeting. It was only when I asked that Doc looked to booking me one.

How soon did you find side effects of HT started to kick in, I'm feeling more tired, but I'm suspect it's just me looking for symptoms, plus I've been tired since all this started as I've not exactly been sleeping great for the last few months! ;)

John

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 10:24

Hi John.

For 2 months, I was put on the same dose of Bical as you whilst they were decided whether I was fit enough for surgery.

Pretty soon after starting it my nipples got very tender and slightly swollen. Like you, I felt fatigued, but I think that was more due to poor sleep caused by the uncertainty of my treatment plan, rather the chemical effects of HT.

Best of luck mate.

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 16:46
Thanks Adrian, I'm hoping I get lucky and avoid any nipple/boob issues, I was reading the side effects of Bical, a couple did make me chuckle though. There was loss of hair, but also listed was hair growth. I bet both occur where you don't want them to.
User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 17:04

If you want a more accurate home PSA test, Graham Fullford (who are behind most the the charity testing) do a PSA test by post, which gives you the PSA level to 2 decimal places (when I tried it). You need to be up to pricking your finger and collecting about 15 drops of blood. Currently costs £28.

https://mypsatests.org.uk/Orders/

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 17:54

I think you are more likely to get nipple pain if you are on Bical for an extended period. I have not had anything like that and no formation of breast buds. I have slight moobs but that is down to weight gain…about 8kg😩 which I am now trying to lose….but it’s NOT easy!
Like you I was only on Bical for 4 weeks to prevent testosterone flair. In fact my nipples are the one area of my ‘zones’ which are still sensitive to touch, but in a pleasurable way. I lost my libido VERY quickly, hopefully it will return just as quick!🤣🤣🤣 (I’m not expecting miracles!). I’m going to keep my thread updated monthly or whenever I notice a change.

I try as much as possible to laugh at my side effects, but the only one that’s got me down really is joint ache, so I’m glad you’re remaining active and hopefully you’ll avoid that one. I think there should be more support for those of us on HT in this respect.

Derek