Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

SRT Complete - update and next steps

User
Posted 13 Jul 2024 at 14:43

Hi guys,

So just wanted to update you on my journey and thank everyone for their advice to me and each other.

Recap:

Age 52

Diagnosed PCa Sept 23 PSA 3.17

GLEASON 3+4. Offered RT or surgery and opted for surgery

Surgery 2nd Nov 2023

1st appointment Jan 2024. PSA 0.10. Histology showed positive margin at bladder neck and seminal vesicle invasion and extrascapular. Stayed 3+4 but upgraded to PT3b.

Was advised to wait and see how PSA behaves.

PSA surgery plus 9 weeks 0.10

PSA surgery plus 13 weeks 0.15

PSA surgery plus 20 weeks 0.22

Asked for urgent meeting and was offered 2.options. 1) wait and allow PSA rise to around 10 and then do onto HT

2) Do SRT with around 50% chance of cure. Reason only 50% is that if cells have moved outside of bed area and oncologist said would advise waiting to 0.8 or 1 before doing a PSMA Pet scan....why allow cancer cells to double and form a bundle big enough to see and risk spreading was my thought process)

Opted for SRT and started 20 fractions (52.5 GR total) on 21st May

PSA checked 21st May which was surgery plus 29 weeks 0.25 (so only increased 0.03 in 9 weeks which was a significant slow down in rate of climb)

So had last session on 18th June. To be fair was lucky to have had so significant side effects. Maybe a little tired at the last week and week after.

Have to get PSA checked on 13th Aug which is 8 weeks from.last treatment date. I am hoping my PSA has dropped to undetectable or very low. They advised it may take a few 3 month readings to fully bottom out.

After that who knows.

For those that read my story,.I also had an MRI on 30th May just to double check a tiny marker on my hip bone from.last year and they want to just rule out it isn't a cancer spot. The hospital has  had the sesukts from 31st May but after 3 calls the surgeon hasn't looked at them yet and I'm not phoning again to his secretary as I feel like a beggar. I think the treatment and staff are fantastic in the NHS but admin and communication is poor and I have had to push hard the whole journey myself to keep things moving.

Anyway here is hoping for good news. It has been 15.months from I first got an PSA test and you think of little else to be honest.

Best of luck to you all and I'll let you.know my news in August

User
Posted 13 Jul 2024 at 14:43

Hi guys,

So just wanted to update you on my journey and thank everyone for their advice to me and each other.

Recap:

Age 52

Diagnosed PCa Sept 23 PSA 3.17

GLEASON 3+4. Offered RT or surgery and opted for surgery

Surgery 2nd Nov 2023

1st appointment Jan 2024. PSA 0.10. Histology showed positive margin at bladder neck and seminal vesicle invasion and extrascapular. Stayed 3+4 but upgraded to PT3b.

Was advised to wait and see how PSA behaves.

PSA surgery plus 9 weeks 0.10

PSA surgery plus 13 weeks 0.15

PSA surgery plus 20 weeks 0.22

Asked for urgent meeting and was offered 2.options. 1) wait and allow PSA rise to around 10 and then do onto HT

2) Do SRT with around 50% chance of cure. Reason only 50% is that if cells have moved outside of bed area and oncologist said would advise waiting to 0.8 or 1 before doing a PSMA Pet scan....why allow cancer cells to double and form a bundle big enough to see and risk spreading was my thought process)

Opted for SRT and started 20 fractions (52.5 GR total) on 21st May

PSA checked 21st May which was surgery plus 29 weeks 0.25 (so only increased 0.03 in 9 weeks which was a significant slow down in rate of climb)

So had last session on 18th June. To be fair was lucky to have had so significant side effects. Maybe a little tired at the last week and week after.

Have to get PSA checked on 13th Aug which is 8 weeks from.last treatment date. I am hoping my PSA has dropped to undetectable or very low. They advised it may take a few 3 month readings to fully bottom out.

After that who knows.

For those that read my story,.I also had an MRI on 30th May just to double check a tiny marker on my hip bone from.last year and they want to just rule out it isn't a cancer spot. The hospital has  had the sesukts from 31st May but after 3 calls the surgeon hasn't looked at them yet and I'm not phoning again to his secretary as I feel like a beggar. I think the treatment and staff are fantastic in the NHS but admin and communication is poor and I have had to push hard the whole journey myself to keep things moving.

Anyway here is hoping for good news. It has been 15.months from I first got an PSA test and you think of little else to be honest.

Best of luck to you all and I'll let you.know my news in August

User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 08:58

Hi,

It's going in the right direction. 

I started SRT in 2022 three months after hitting 0.12.

Three months after SRT,  I was at 0.07. It took a year after SRT to drop to undetectable (<0.01 at my hospital). 

Apparently, it takes time for cancer cells to die off once they have been damaged by radiation. 

Good luck. 

Kev.

Edited by member 21 Aug 2024 at 09:03  | Reason: Added note

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Jul 2024 at 22:49

One step, a lot crammed in there in a short period of time, some similarities to myself but over a longer time frame. Hope the SRT has been successful.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 13 Jul 2024 at 23:15

Hi mate,

Thank you for relating your story and I hope you make a full recovery.

User
Posted 14 Jul 2024 at 08:45
Well done and good luck

I finished my 32 * 2 sessions last monday.

The lab made a mistake and tested my PSA just before the end and it dropped from 0.22 to 0.03 so like you, I'm hoping for further drops over time :)

User
Posted 14 Jul 2024 at 20:56

Hi Onestepforward,

Thanks for your post.  I wish you every good luck in the weeks ahead.  You have been on a rollercoaster, that's for sure.

Look after yourself.

JedSee.

User
Posted 15 Jul 2024 at 06:39

Hi Onestep,

You certainly have been on a rollercoaster ride, I hope you get some good news soon.
You say you think of of ‘little else’ these days. I know it’s difficult but I find what helps me is keeping active, busy, and just being good to myself. I give myself lots of treats and do lots of ‘nice’ things with my wife and family. It really helps keep my mind of wondering down to the dark side.

Good luck and stay positive💪💪💪

Derek

User
Posted 20 Aug 2024 at 22:47

Hi everyone,

Well I said I would update once I got my first blood test after Salvage radiotherapy.

To recap had radical prostatectomy Nov 2023

PSA 9 weeks after RP was 0.10 and climbed to 0.22 by mid March 2024

Elected for SRT.

Started 20 fractions on 21st May and completed 18th June.

PSA was checked on day of 1st fraction (21st May) and it was 0.25

PSA checked 14th Aug which was 8 weeks from last fraction and has dropped to 0.09

Delighted with this !! Nurse said it could take a few more 3 month readings to come down and that it is only 8 weeks from last radiotherapy session. Have my meeting with oncologist 20th Sept so hopefully he will be happy. Next blood test mid Nov.

I'm no expert in PSA tests but from what I have researched, stats suggest that getting a score <0.1 on first blood test post SRT is a good result.

Anyone out there have had similar experience or can add any thoughts?

Cheers!!

User
Posted 20 Aug 2024 at 23:07
If it's going down it's good!
User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 08:58

Hi,

It's going in the right direction. 

I started SRT in 2022 three months after hitting 0.12.

Three months after SRT,  I was at 0.07. It took a year after SRT to drop to undetectable (<0.01 at my hospital). 

Apparently, it takes time for cancer cells to die off once they have been damaged by radiation. 

Good luck. 

Kev.

Edited by member 21 Aug 2024 at 09:03  | Reason: Added note