I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

When did your side-effects ease after finishing HT?

User
Posted 17 Jul 2024 at 20:46

I finished Prostap exactly 2 weeks ago…that was when I was due my next injection but Onco was happy for me to stop after 2 years rather than 3.

Soon after,  I started to feel different but I thought it must have just been my imagination. Then today I realised that my hot flushes have virtually gone. I’ve also noticed that my energy levels have improved significantly. I’m out in a VERY HOT Fuerteventura just now and this afternoon I walked at pace to and from the supermarket and back and felt great when I came back. Previously I would have felt knackered especially in the heat. In fact I generally feel like a different person to that of 2 weeks ago.

So….is it I’m my head? I never expected to feel such an improvement in just 2 weeks. I’d be very interested to hear how quickly others noticed changes after they finished ADT.

Derek

User
Posted 18 Jul 2024 at 01:35

Ooh yes, I agree with that Derek!

Regardless of testosterone levels I found my life improved significantly after the Zoladex was out of my system. Maybe that was partly due to sleeping better. I can't say my strength improved much until testosterone came back at about a year after Z but the lethargy certainly disappeared. I'd been apprehensive about the time taken to recover given suggestions that it takes about as long to get back to normal as the time you were on the drug. That might be true in an overall sense but for me there were those two key steps followed by steady improvement and re-adjustment. I'm about 1.5 years post Z now, so in theory I'm still on the improve and if that's the case whoopee, because I'm quite happy with where I am now.

I'd been wondering how you'd go with the recovery Derek and hoping it would work out for you as it did for me, so it's great to hear you're feeling so much better and of course I don't think it's only in your head 😄. Unfortunately we still have to go through HT and it's a pretty crude tool the way it's used under our health systems.

Onwards to testosterone and libdio Derek! While it's great to get the testosterone back, I found it took some adjustment to living with all the effects of hormones in the system again. Not unpleasant at all but when you've spent a couple of years as a castrate, you sort of get used to it, so having libido takes some re-learning.

Jules

User
Posted 17 Jul 2024 at 23:59

I did almost 2 years on HT.

My Testosterone stayed very low for 9 months after the last injection ran out, and then recovered quite quickly. It took about another 3 months for my body to respond to the Testosterone and have everything back to normal.

PSA Testosterone graph

A few times I thought things must be recovering, and the next blood test showed it was in my imagination and Testosterone was still almost zero.

Edited by member 18 Jul 2024 at 00:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jul 2024 at 01:15

I didn't have very severe side effects from HT; loss of libido was the most noticeable. So I can't really say anything about my recovery until testosterone recovered which was after about nine months.

I'm very happy for you though decho, you had pretty much every side effect going and quite severe. Even if its all in the mind, what does it matter if you are feeling good now.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Jul 2024 at 20:46

I finished Prostap exactly 2 weeks ago…that was when I was due my next injection but Onco was happy for me to stop after 2 years rather than 3.

Soon after,  I started to feel different but I thought it must have just been my imagination. Then today I realised that my hot flushes have virtually gone. I’ve also noticed that my energy levels have improved significantly. I’m out in a VERY HOT Fuerteventura just now and this afternoon I walked at pace to and from the supermarket and back and felt great when I came back. Previously I would have felt knackered especially in the heat. In fact I generally feel like a different person to that of 2 weeks ago.

So….is it I’m my head? I never expected to feel such an improvement in just 2 weeks. I’d be very interested to hear how quickly others noticed changes after they finished ADT.

Derek

User
Posted 19 Jul 2024 at 16:57

Hi Decho,

Its given me a real lift to learn that you are experiencing such an improvement after only 2 weeks. 
I’m one year into Prostap and it is killing me off. I can’t wait for the day when I’m given the go ahead to stop this torture.

I hope that things continue to improve so markedly for you, keep us updated 😬

Spongebob

User
Posted 19 Jul 2024 at 22:16

Good luck SpongeBob, I wouldn’t stay on this poison a minute longer than absolutely necessary. I think they would have happily let me suffer for another year had I not being proactive in questioning it. I get better every day, today I don’t think I’ve had a hot flush …….well not one that’s bothered me anyway. Im also feeling a bit more like a man…I know it’s far too early for my testosterone to come back but I definitely feel ‘different’. My joints are getting stronger it’s only my Achilles tendons that are a bit stiff and sore.

I hope when Independence Day comes for you that your recovery is good…there IS hope!💪

I’m going to keep my journey thread updated on my recovery.

Derek

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Jul 2024 at 23:59

I did almost 2 years on HT.

My Testosterone stayed very low for 9 months after the last injection ran out, and then recovered quite quickly. It took about another 3 months for my body to respond to the Testosterone and have everything back to normal.

PSA Testosterone graph

A few times I thought things must be recovering, and the next blood test showed it was in my imagination and Testosterone was still almost zero.

Edited by member 18 Jul 2024 at 00:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jul 2024 at 01:15

I didn't have very severe side effects from HT; loss of libido was the most noticeable. So I can't really say anything about my recovery until testosterone recovered which was after about nine months.

I'm very happy for you though decho, you had pretty much every side effect going and quite severe. Even if its all in the mind, what does it matter if you are feeling good now.

Dave

User
Posted 18 Jul 2024 at 01:35

Ooh yes, I agree with that Derek!

Regardless of testosterone levels I found my life improved significantly after the Zoladex was out of my system. Maybe that was partly due to sleeping better. I can't say my strength improved much until testosterone came back at about a year after Z but the lethargy certainly disappeared. I'd been apprehensive about the time taken to recover given suggestions that it takes about as long to get back to normal as the time you were on the drug. That might be true in an overall sense but for me there were those two key steps followed by steady improvement and re-adjustment. I'm about 1.5 years post Z now, so in theory I'm still on the improve and if that's the case whoopee, because I'm quite happy with where I am now.

I'd been wondering how you'd go with the recovery Derek and hoping it would work out for you as it did for me, so it's great to hear you're feeling so much better and of course I don't think it's only in your head 😄. Unfortunately we still have to go through HT and it's a pretty crude tool the way it's used under our health systems.

Onwards to testosterone and libdio Derek! While it's great to get the testosterone back, I found it took some adjustment to living with all the effects of hormones in the system again. Not unpleasant at all but when you've spent a couple of years as a castrate, you sort of get used to it, so having libido takes some re-learning.

Jules

User
Posted 18 Jul 2024 at 07:45

Oooo….can’t wait for the day when I’d rather have a bit of rumpy pumpy than a Flat White🤣🤣🤣

Interesting what you say Jules about it taking some re-learning, will I need to go for sex education classes?🤣🤣🤣

I await with anticipation🤞🤞🤞🤞

User
Posted 18 Jul 2024 at 08:38

Gosh Nina, we'd all be familiar with the fact that Home Stop "has not a great explanation to make it difficult for their laborers to take care of their bills" . Bring on the revolution I say 🖕

For anyone mystified by my post, a bot/scam effort has been deleted by admin presumably.

Meanwhile ... given I'm 77 it's probably not going to be the same for you as it has been for me Derek but I'm sure you'll have fun.

Jules

Edited by member 19 Jul 2024 at 21:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Jul 2024 at 16:57

Hi Decho,

Its given me a real lift to learn that you are experiencing such an improvement after only 2 weeks. 
I’m one year into Prostap and it is killing me off. I can’t wait for the day when I’m given the go ahead to stop this torture.

I hope that things continue to improve so markedly for you, keep us updated 😬

Spongebob

User
Posted 19 Jul 2024 at 22:16

Good luck SpongeBob, I wouldn’t stay on this poison a minute longer than absolutely necessary. I think they would have happily let me suffer for another year had I not being proactive in questioning it. I get better every day, today I don’t think I’ve had a hot flush …….well not one that’s bothered me anyway. Im also feeling a bit more like a man…I know it’s far too early for my testosterone to come back but I definitely feel ‘different’. My joints are getting stronger it’s only my Achilles tendons that are a bit stiff and sore.

I hope when Independence Day comes for you that your recovery is good…there IS hope!💪

I’m going to keep my journey thread updated on my recovery.

Derek

User
Posted 20 Jul 2024 at 08:30

Hi Derek

At last abit of good news, my 6 monthly psa and testosterone check were fine; psa 0.08 and testosterone 4.9. Now for another 6 mo wait!

As for the myeloma, a chest infection and partial pneumothorax probably caused by reduced immune system from the chemo put me hospital for a few days. Initially in A and E which was an eye opener!  OK again now and have restarted cycle 6 chemo. Let's hope for remission. At least I only have one thing to worry about for a bit.

Had a fall yesterday wife blames wine but one of the side effects of bortezamid is vertigo. I shall  be careful.

So pleased you are off HT and are feeling fine again.

Good luck to all.

Peternigel

User
Posted 20 Jul 2024 at 21:16

I was on Zoladex for three years.  Had my last implant January 2023.  18 months later I still lack energy and strength.  My testosterone has just started creeping back.  1.9nmol/l in May, so still well below the minimum of the normal reference scale.  I have virtually no libido just some mild awakening interest, which is probably just as well as I have total erectile disfunction.  I haven't had a hard on in 4.5 years.

I'd love to ask my oncologist if she's still submitting men to three years of HT and if so why in the face of evidence suggesting there is no benefit in doing so.  Sadly she's the type of Consultant that you can't ask questions of.

User
Posted 21 Jul 2024 at 07:07

Hi PeterNigel,

Good news about your PSA results and sorry to hear about your other issues. I had a double pneumothorax as a teenager fortunately at different times, so I know how unpleasant it is. In fact my brother almost died when he had the same. very strange that both of us had this🤷🏼‍♂️

I really need to lose some weight, we’re off on a cruise in 3 weeks and I’ve had to buy a complete new wardrobe. Also going to a wedding on Friday and my kilt doesn’t fit😩

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you that you go into remission.

All the best,

Derek

User
Posted 21 Jul 2024 at 07:20

Hi Bean121,

Really sorry to hear that your recovery is slow, hopefully one day you will wake up and find it’s back. I’m sure some people have reported that it can come back suddenly.  I have no idea when my testosterone will return, I can only hope that it’s sooner rather than later. I don’t know what my testosterone levels were before I started treatment but I know they were undetectable when I had my last jab. What I do know though is that a had a high libido.
I can’t tell you how happy I am to stop this drug after 2 years rather than 3, and I think that’s one of the reasons I’m feeling so much better. My biggest issue at the moment is my Achilles tendons which are always stiff and sore in the morning until I get up and walk about.

Good luck for the future.

Derek

User
Posted 21 Jul 2024 at 19:39
As with Bean121 I was on Zoladex for 3 yrs together with couple years abiraterone and enzalutimide. Had all, seemingly, effects. Once stopped Zoladex recovery was gradual, aches and pains, hot flushes etc faded first I think. Libido/erections etc I think suddenly returned about 12 months later. All still good now and, probably cos of that, I'd happily go for 3yrs Zoladex again tho there will likely be other choices then, I didnt have a choice of treatment.

Peter

User
Posted 21 Jul 2024 at 22:14

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I'd happily go for 3yrs Zoladex again tho there will likely be other choices then

I seriously hope they do come up with something else. I've been contemplating "what-if" and I'm not sure I'd be willing to dive back into Zoladex.

Jules