I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advanced Prostate Cancer palliative care

User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 06:09

My Father was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in May 2024. He had the TURP operation in April 2024.

They were confident that the cancer was contained within the Prostate and started him on hormone treatment.

He went for a staging scan on 3rd June and had an appointment on 18th June, where we found out the cancer has spread to his bones and lymph nodes.

They aren't sure if his cancer is also in his stomach. They think this because something has been showing up and his white blood cells were high. They gave him antibiotics, incase its just an infection. 

They won't.test for the stomach cancer because even if it is, they can't give him chemo, due to poor kidneys. So he is now under palliative care.

Everyone has been amazing and so helpful. Macmillian have ensured that his pain is controlled.

I I think as a family, the biggest shock was how quickly it went from just being in the prostate to in his bones etc.

We don't know how long we have left with him and are trying to enjoy what time.we do have left. 

User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 08:25

Hi

I also have stage 4 prostate cancer with secondary lung and bone cancer I've had palliative chemo and am classed as terminal,don't be disheartened by words, palliative and terminal can be defined differently and you can still live with these words attached to you for many years.

All the best regards Phil 

User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 06:09

My Father was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in May 2024. He had the TURP operation in April 2024.

They were confident that the cancer was contained within the Prostate and started him on hormone treatment.

He went for a staging scan on 3rd June and had an appointment on 18th June, where we found out the cancer has spread to his bones and lymph nodes.

They aren't sure if his cancer is also in his stomach. They think this because something has been showing up and his white blood cells were high. They gave him antibiotics, incase its just an infection. 

They won't.test for the stomach cancer because even if it is, they can't give him chemo, due to poor kidneys. So he is now under palliative care.

Everyone has been amazing and so helpful. Macmillian have ensured that his pain is controlled.

I I think as a family, the biggest shock was how quickly it went from just being in the prostate to in his bones etc.

We don't know how long we have left with him and are trying to enjoy what time.we do have left. 

User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 08:38

Hi Mandi,

I’m really sorry to hear about your dad, it must have been a real shock to all of you. By joining this forum though you have made a good first step, as you’ll find loads of support and information.

I can’t really give you any information about the path ahead for your dad, but there are many more on here who can. All I can do is wish you both ALL the very best for the future, and give your dad lots of treats and do nice things together, things that make him happy. I’ve found it really helped me get through this.

Good luck

Derek

User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 20:21

Mandi,

So sorry to hear this.  It must be a very difficult time for all of you.  I hope that, as others have said, palliative care doesn't mean that his life is going to be abruptly cut short.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 08:25

Hi

I also have stage 4 prostate cancer with secondary lung and bone cancer I've had palliative chemo and am classed as terminal,don't be disheartened by words, palliative and terminal can be defined differently and you can still live with these words attached to you for many years.

All the best regards Phil 

User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 08:38

Hi Mandi,

I’m really sorry to hear about your dad, it must have been a real shock to all of you. By joining this forum though you have made a good first step, as you’ll find loads of support and information.

I can’t really give you any information about the path ahead for your dad, but there are many more on here who can. All I can do is wish you both ALL the very best for the future, and give your dad lots of treats and do nice things together, things that make him happy. I’ve found it really helped me get through this.

Good luck

Derek

User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 20:21

Mandi,

So sorry to hear this.  It must be a very difficult time for all of you.  I hope that, as others have said, palliative care doesn't mean that his life is going to be abruptly cut short.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 04:40
I'm sorry to hear this. Hopefully methods can prolong his life

geometry dash online