Show search

Notification

Error

Father diagnosed with T4N1M1

User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 10:08

Hello,

My father has prostate cancer. 

He has T4N1M1, it has spread to multiple lymphs and his bones (pelvis and top of thigh). In addition, he has "abnormal lesions" within the prostate with a PSA of 374.

He has been on hormone treatment for 6 weeks now, with a pellet in his stomach. He had a biposy a few weeks ago which confirmed the T4N1M1 diagnosis and is to start on Xtandi next week. 

This has all come as a bit of a shock, he is 74 and has lived a relatively healthy life, he is fit for his age. Does anyone here have any experience of Xtandi? Some of the side effects sound nasty, fatigue, longer hot flushes etc..

He lives alone and is very independent. How restrictive will the Xtandi be on his day to day, (driving, walking to shops, seeing friends etc) . 

Typically how long will it stop the spread on those cells that it targets? 

I have read online that eventually those that are resistant to it will continue to spread leading to radio or chemo as pain relief. 

He seems to think he has "a good ten years" and is staying positive given the circumstances. I am not sure how realistic this time frame is and was not in the biopsy results meeting with him when he has delivered the news...

Any help, suggestions and opinion would be greatly valued.

Thanks in advance.

User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 11:08

The Enzalutamide side effects are mostly just the standard hormone therapy side effects which he'll get from the hormone therapy pellet implant anyway. However, it does seem to cause some additional fatigue.

Encourage him to remain active - this is the most effective antidote to fatigue and some other side effects, although it may seem counterintuitive. There may be a local exercise class he can join for cancer patients which I would strongly encourage. Walking is a good exercise too.

There is a massive variation in how well hormone therapy works for different people, so no one can predict how long it's going to work. Getting Testosterone levels low and hence getting PSA low is a good indication.

User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 11:11

Firstly, sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis.  However, it's great that he is keeping fairly positive at the moment, that's important.  Continuing the activities he likes to do day-to-day is a big part of dealing with cancer.

I've been taking Xtandi (enzalutamide) for three and a half years, 160mg (4x40mg tablets) daily, and have had very few side-effects from it.  However, that's not the case for other people:  many report fatigue, 'brain fog' and other issues.  I may have been lucky in that I started taking it at a relatively young age (56) compared to many with PC.  

All your dad and you can do is see how he goes with it.  Fingers crossed that he has minimal side-effects. 

Wishing him and you the very best. 

User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 10:08

Hello,

My father has prostate cancer. 

He has T4N1M1, it has spread to multiple lymphs and his bones (pelvis and top of thigh). In addition, he has "abnormal lesions" within the prostate with a PSA of 374.

He has been on hormone treatment for 6 weeks now, with a pellet in his stomach. He had a biposy a few weeks ago which confirmed the T4N1M1 diagnosis and is to start on Xtandi next week. 

This has all come as a bit of a shock, he is 74 and has lived a relatively healthy life, he is fit for his age. Does anyone here have any experience of Xtandi? Some of the side effects sound nasty, fatigue, longer hot flushes etc..

He lives alone and is very independent. How restrictive will the Xtandi be on his day to day, (driving, walking to shops, seeing friends etc) . 

Typically how long will it stop the spread on those cells that it targets? 

I have read online that eventually those that are resistant to it will continue to spread leading to radio or chemo as pain relief. 

He seems to think he has "a good ten years" and is staying positive given the circumstances. I am not sure how realistic this time frame is and was not in the biopsy results meeting with him when he has delivered the news...

Any help, suggestions and opinion would be greatly valued.

Thanks in advance.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 11:08

The Enzalutamide side effects are mostly just the standard hormone therapy side effects which he'll get from the hormone therapy pellet implant anyway. However, it does seem to cause some additional fatigue.

Encourage him to remain active - this is the most effective antidote to fatigue and some other side effects, although it may seem counterintuitive. There may be a local exercise class he can join for cancer patients which I would strongly encourage. Walking is a good exercise too.

There is a massive variation in how well hormone therapy works for different people, so no one can predict how long it's going to work. Getting Testosterone levels low and hence getting PSA low is a good indication.

User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 11:11

Firstly, sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis.  However, it's great that he is keeping fairly positive at the moment, that's important.  Continuing the activities he likes to do day-to-day is a big part of dealing with cancer.

I've been taking Xtandi (enzalutamide) for three and a half years, 160mg (4x40mg tablets) daily, and have had very few side-effects from it.  However, that's not the case for other people:  many report fatigue, 'brain fog' and other issues.  I may have been lucky in that I started taking it at a relatively young age (56) compared to many with PC.  

All your dad and you can do is see how he goes with it.  Fingers crossed that he has minimal side-effects. 

Wishing him and you the very best.