I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dads bone scan

User
Posted 24 Jul 2024 at 14:54

My dad ( 89 years old) was diagnosed with PCa over 10 years ago. PSA was 10 (ish). Gleason score of 6, T2b.  The Docs suggested active surveillance. His PSA has remained stable for a long time. In 2020 they decided to change AS to "watch and wait"

Recently his PSA has increased from 13 to 20. This triggered a referral from his GP back to the hospital.  He has been on finasteride for some time. I was surprised to find that this drug halves the PSA reading ( according to the hospital). So a "real" reading of 40 ( which is not great).  He has been told that he also has a marginal increase in alkaline phosphatase which has triggered a bone scan. 

Still waiting for the scan results. I'm looking at a binary outcome from the scan. Either the cancer has spread to his bones or it hasn't.  

1. If it hasn't spread, what are the likely treatment options?

2. If it has spread, ditto?

I could just wait for the scan result but its always good to do some research here beforehand.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 12:17

Hi music_man.

I'm about the same age as you. In 2009, my dad who was then 81 years old, told me that he'd been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He told me it was nothing to worry about and that they were keeping an eye on him.  Ashamedly, I never asked how bad it was, and at the time knew very little about the disease. He told me that he had to visit the hospital every three months for blood tests and injections in his stomach. I now presume this was for PSA checks and HT.

As long as I can remember he'd always had urinary problems, having to get up half a dozen times a night for a wee, but apart from that he appeared fine. 

Life continued as normal. However, about 7 years later, he suddenly became very frail, wasn't eating well and had pains in his lower back and  left leg. I took him to the doctors and apparently his PSA was in the thousands. I took him for a scan and unfortunately he was riddled with the disease. They said he was so poorly that I shouldn't have even transported him to the hospital.

Mum who was looking after him couldn't cope anymore, I moved in with them to help out. Only a couple of days later I could see he was really struggling. He wouldn't eat or drink. I telephoned his GP who refused a home visit. I telephoned MacMillan and a nurse attended within hours. It was quite obvious that he was fading fast and whilst we were organising moving him to a hospice he passed away peacefully in bed. He died aged 88 years.

I'm posting this because, unlike your good self, I still feel guilty for not looking into his condition as much I should have done.

I'm now presuming that his disease was very serious, when he was first diagnosed, yet apart from the last few days of his life, he was leading a relatively normal life. I'm hoping this gives you some comfort.

Knowing what I know now, I think my dad was a hero. 

Best of luck. My thoughts are with you and your dad.

Edited by member 25 Jul 2024 at 18:04  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 17:46
@Adrian56

Unfortunately we have a family history of PCa. My brother was diagnosed at 49 and had surgery. Thankfully it had not metastasised. We have known that my dad has had cancer for years. Because he was on AS I didn't really think that this was a problem. We guessed that he would die with the disease not from the disease.

The last 6 months have changed things, but not by much. It took 5 months for our local hospital ( Queen Elizabeth in Birmingham) to even sort out an appointment. The old man is a stoic. At 89 years old he has beaten the morbidity averages and as he says " if I wake up dead tomorrow then I'm still happy with my life"

None of us is going to live forever. Spending as long as you can with your family is paramount, as long as you are not suffering. We just want Dad to make the right decisions to make his remaining time as good as it can be.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jul 2024 at 18:19

It’s unlikely that he will die of Prostate cancer 

User
Posted 24 Jul 2024 at 22:52

This will depend on his health and life expectancy in the absence of the prostate cancer.

Then they'll consider if the prostate cancer in whatever state it's in is likely to shorten that or inflict a significant reduction in QoL.

If the answer to that is yes, then they'll consider treatments, and again those will depend on his state of health, but a likely one would be to swap the Finasteride (a half-way hormone therapy drug) for full hormone therapy.

If no, then he would stay on watchful waiting.

Edited by member 24 Jul 2024 at 22:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 10:24
@Andy62

Thanks, thats very helpful. My dad is pretty healthy and active for a 89 year old. No other significant health conditions.

I'll wait for the results of the scan and see what the onco suggests.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 12:17

Hi music_man.

I'm about the same age as you. In 2009, my dad who was then 81 years old, told me that he'd been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He told me it was nothing to worry about and that they were keeping an eye on him.  Ashamedly, I never asked how bad it was, and at the time knew very little about the disease. He told me that he had to visit the hospital every three months for blood tests and injections in his stomach. I now presume this was for PSA checks and HT.

As long as I can remember he'd always had urinary problems, having to get up half a dozen times a night for a wee, but apart from that he appeared fine. 

Life continued as normal. However, about 7 years later, he suddenly became very frail, wasn't eating well and had pains in his lower back and  left leg. I took him to the doctors and apparently his PSA was in the thousands. I took him for a scan and unfortunately he was riddled with the disease. They said he was so poorly that I shouldn't have even transported him to the hospital.

Mum who was looking after him couldn't cope anymore, I moved in with them to help out. Only a couple of days later I could see he was really struggling. He wouldn't eat or drink. I telephoned his GP who refused a home visit. I telephoned MacMillan and a nurse attended within hours. It was quite obvious that he was fading fast and whilst we were organising moving him to a hospice he passed away peacefully in bed. He died aged 88 years.

I'm posting this because, unlike your good self, I still feel guilty for not looking into his condition as much I should have done.

I'm now presuming that his disease was very serious, when he was first diagnosed, yet apart from the last few days of his life, he was leading a relatively normal life. I'm hoping this gives you some comfort.

Knowing what I know now, I think my dad was a hero. 

Best of luck. My thoughts are with you and your dad.

Edited by member 25 Jul 2024 at 18:04  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 17:46
@Adrian56

Unfortunately we have a family history of PCa. My brother was diagnosed at 49 and had surgery. Thankfully it had not metastasised. We have known that my dad has had cancer for years. Because he was on AS I didn't really think that this was a problem. We guessed that he would die with the disease not from the disease.

The last 6 months have changed things, but not by much. It took 5 months for our local hospital ( Queen Elizabeth in Birmingham) to even sort out an appointment. The old man is a stoic. At 89 years old he has beaten the morbidity averages and as he says " if I wake up dead tomorrow then I'm still happy with my life"

None of us is going to live forever. Spending as long as you can with your family is paramount, as long as you are not suffering. We just want Dad to make the right decisions to make his remaining time as good as it can be.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 17:56

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I agree entirely.