I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any private treatment when other options used up?

User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 11:04

Hi everyone, 

I've been on this forum for almost 5 years. My husband was diagnosed with advanced pca spread to lymph nodes in 2019.

Hes still on prostap. He's had pelvic radiotherapy, and upfront docetaxel soon after diagnosis and since then bicalutimide, abiraterone and now on olaparib. 

He recently had radiotherapy to a spread in a lymph node in his neck and new bone scan shows spread to several other places in the skeleton. His psa is rising as well.

But he feels well and all his other blood counts are within normal ranges. 

The next and from what I can see last available NHS treatment is cabataxil chemo.

Please don't judge me, our NHS have been absolutely wonderful with my husband over these 5 years. But I feel there maybe other things we could access if we had the money?

Does anyone know of anything or had any experience?  I have no idea how we would access private treatment and of course it may or may not work but I would find the money to try anything. Feeling a bit desperate. 

Edited by member 25 Jul 2024 at 12:25  | Reason: Spellings

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 14 Aug 2024 at 16:06

Hi Librajc

Thanks for your reply. 

I am currently looking around the Internet on my afternoon off to research things. 

I am hesitant to mention private options to my husbands oncologist as I don't want her to think we are not truly grateful for all the wonderful treatment she has arranged, that said I want to know what else is possible: if we could afford it and whether it would likely benefit him.

Before olaparib he was on abiraterone for 6 months, I have seen in other countries men can try enzalutimide afterwards and some with success. This of course was not allowed on the NHS as they say if one fails the other likely will too, although I note they work completely differently. I did wonder if we could ask about trying that privately or if the fact he's already moved to olaparib that it wouldn't be useful now. 

I rang the Prostate Cancer UK nurses yesterday and found out about lutetium that he would be eligible for, only available privately at 20 000 pounds per session. Tne total cost of treatment and travel to London from Lancashire would be a stretch but, and I know no one can answer this, but if it gave him another 6 months life expectancy with the good quality of life he still has , it's worth it to me. 

Basically I'm getting desperate, I love him and I don't want him to die. 

Thanks for your reply, I'm making notes. X

Edited by member 14 Aug 2024 at 16:08  | Reason: Spelling

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 11:04

Hi everyone, 

I've been on this forum for almost 5 years. My husband was diagnosed with advanced pca spread to lymph nodes in 2019.

Hes still on prostap. He's had pelvic radiotherapy, and upfront docetaxel soon after diagnosis and since then bicalutimide, abiraterone and now on olaparib. 

He recently had radiotherapy to a spread in a lymph node in his neck and new bone scan shows spread to several other places in the skeleton. His psa is rising as well.

But he feels well and all his other blood counts are within normal ranges. 

The next and from what I can see last available NHS treatment is cabataxil chemo.

Please don't judge me, our NHS have been absolutely wonderful with my husband over these 5 years. But I feel there maybe other things we could access if we had the money?

Does anyone know of anything or had any experience?  I have no idea how we would access private treatment and of course it may or may not work but I would find the money to try anything. Feeling a bit desperate. 

Edited by member 25 Jul 2024 at 12:25  | Reason: Spellings

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 12:08
I don’t know the answer, save to suggest you could self refer to a private oncologist and see what they say, but just wanted to wish you both all the very best, no judgment here, I’m an avid supporter of our ( hugely under funded ) NHS but would be exploring all options if I have to. X
User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 19:33
Hi Mrs MAS. Sorry to see you at this point. I agree with Phil above. An earnest reach out to your Onco , even ask if any trials. Our NHS is mostly wonderful and I don’t think much on offer is unavailable to them these days. And with advanced medicines they come at a premium. Abiraterone is about £30k per year I believe. Wishing you my best and strength to you both
User
Posted 14 Aug 2024 at 18:08

Hi Phil, 

He has an appointment on Friday to  sign the consent forms for the Cabazitaxel. 

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 15 Aug 2024 at 08:03

Hi

Wishing your both the best and thinking of you,let's hope your husband reacts well to the treatment and copes with the side effects (I'm sure he will) and it keeps it away for as long as possible.

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 15 Aug 2024 at 10:09
Good luck Mrs MAS. Your recent posts have been quite heart-rending. Wishing you luck and strength and much more time together x
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 12:08
I don’t know the answer, save to suggest you could self refer to a private oncologist and see what they say, but just wanted to wish you both all the very best, no judgment here, I’m an avid supporter of our ( hugely under funded ) NHS but would be exploring all options if I have to. X
User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 18:18

Hi Mrs Mas

Could you not tell your oncologist your concerns and ask him/her to point you in the right direction?

Phil 

User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 19:33
Hi Mrs MAS. Sorry to see you at this point. I agree with Phil above. An earnest reach out to your Onco , even ask if any trials. Our NHS is mostly wonderful and I don’t think much on offer is unavailable to them these days. And with advanced medicines they come at a premium. Abiraterone is about £30k per year I believe. Wishing you my best and strength to you both
User
Posted 25 Jul 2024 at 23:44
Leutitium 177 or however it is spelt is the only one I know of...
User
Posted 26 Jul 2024 at 00:27
Oncologists generally know what possibilities there are even if not available within the NHS. Also, there are numerous trials under way or about to be launched that cover various conditions and situations. It might be worth asking your oncologist if there is one that could be appropriate for your husband if he is prepared to take part. I participated in one I found abroad and two within the NHS but my staging was quite different.
Barry
User
Posted 26 Jul 2024 at 00:56

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Oncologists generally know what possibilities there are even if not available within the NHS.

They aren't permitted to mention private treatments during an NHS appointment unless you explicitly ask, in which case they can. So do make sure you let them know you're interested in private options too.

User
Posted 26 Jul 2024 at 06:47

Thankyou everyone. X

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 26 Jul 2024 at 07:35
Hi Melissa, is it worth Allan repeating the docetaxel treatment providing he tolerated it okay first time round?
User
Posted 26 Jul 2024 at 08:06

Hi jasper 

I'm trying my hardest to repeat docetaxel with my team when the time comes,but I'm banging my head against a wall.

Phil 

User
Posted 26 Jul 2024 at 18:48

Hi Mrs Mas 

my husband diagnosis and treatment has followed a very similarly pathway to yours, although he wasn’t diagnosed until Autumn 2021. He has not responded well beyond the initial response to chemotherapy and Prostap.

His PSA is rising and latest conversation with the oncologist was that it might be worth repeating Docetexal as he had a good response to that previously.

In the early days, we had a private consultation which was worth every penny that we spent (think it was around £200). The consultant spent about an hour with us and it was just so good to be listened to and talk about all the options.

what he said was that the treatment he would give would be the same as we would get on the NHS and the only difference would really be that we would get to see him more often if we wanted reassurance.

he then said, when all NHS avenues have been exhausted to try to get on a trial or check back to see if the private route had anything different to offer 

hope this helps 

Mags 

User
Posted 26 Jul 2024 at 22:36

Thanks all, 

Jasper and Phil, cabitaxel (misspelt) was presented as the chemo option. I will ask about repeating docetaxel, thankyou.

Mags, thanks, trials has crossed my mind. Thanks for the info about your private consultation. I feel oddly reassured that there probably isnt a secret cure we could access if we were were able to get private treatment.

Good wishes to you all.  X

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 09 Aug 2024 at 16:06

My father recently diagnosed with stage 4, mcrpc (based on the detail he provided me - and filling in the gaps) and PSA of 30. He did have private consultations for some time but the consultant advised him this week to go fully on the NHS as the cost of the drugs would be very high. It sounds like there are limited options even if you pay privately.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2024 at 16:39

Thanks Nicky, 

I think you're right, thankyou for replying x

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 14 Aug 2024 at 15:49

Hello

If I were you I would arrange to see a Prostate oncologist privately, have a delve around the internet to find out if there are any who you feel  fit the bill as far as your personal  concerns are concerned . By doing this you will have the satisfaction of knowing you  have covered your options and may be given information that the NHS is not able to fully impart. For example there is some thinking these days that removal of the prostate may be beneficial to men who have advanced prostate cancer that has spread .This is as you know not done by the NHS at the moment the thinking being that once spread removal of the Prostate gland is pointless .However the Atlanta trial has been set up.to see if there is benefit in outcomes for men with advanced prostate cancer to have the prostate gland removed  ,there is a body of thinking that sees the  cancerous prostate as the mother ship sending out signals to the metastasized tumours  to grow  .Unfortunately your husbands prior treatment would prevent him from taking part in this trial but may not preclude him from having it removed even though he is advanced .The NHS is constrained as far as finance is concerned but the result of the  Atlanta trial may change proceedure for the treatment of  advanced prostate cancer if there is evidence to prove removal in  advance cases is beneficial .There is hope ,new drugs are being trialled and many men with advanced prostate cancer are doing well and living longer .I was diagnised as advanced after my prostate removal did not result in tha expected  fall in my PSA in fact it was going up rapidly . Cancer was found in my lymph nodes  but after salvage RT , Enzalutimide and ADT I have had undetectable PSA for 4 years now .The removal of the prostate lessens the cancer load .RT alone  may not always destroy all the cancer cells

I have been treated very well by the NHS but wouldnt hesitate to get the opinion of a private oncologist if my PSA started to rise .

User
Posted 14 Aug 2024 at 16:06

Hi Librajc

Thanks for your reply. 

I am currently looking around the Internet on my afternoon off to research things. 

I am hesitant to mention private options to my husbands oncologist as I don't want her to think we are not truly grateful for all the wonderful treatment she has arranged, that said I want to know what else is possible: if we could afford it and whether it would likely benefit him.

Before olaparib he was on abiraterone for 6 months, I have seen in other countries men can try enzalutimide afterwards and some with success. This of course was not allowed on the NHS as they say if one fails the other likely will too, although I note they work completely differently. I did wonder if we could ask about trying that privately or if the fact he's already moved to olaparib that it wouldn't be useful now. 

I rang the Prostate Cancer UK nurses yesterday and found out about lutetium that he would be eligible for, only available privately at 20 000 pounds per session. Tne total cost of treatment and travel to London from Lancashire would be a stretch but, and I know no one can answer this, but if it gave him another 6 months life expectancy with the good quality of life he still has , it's worth it to me. 

Basically I'm getting desperate, I love him and I don't want him to die. 

Thanks for your reply, I'm making notes. X

Edited by member 14 Aug 2024 at 16:08  | Reason: Spelling

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 14 Aug 2024 at 17:53

Hi Mrs Mas 

You mentioned cabazitaxel earlier in your thread,has your husband been offered or started this treatment?

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 14 Aug 2024 at 18:08

Hi Phil, 

He has an appointment on Friday to  sign the consent forms for the Cabazitaxel. 

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 15 Aug 2024 at 08:03

Hi

Wishing your both the best and thinking of you,let's hope your husband reacts well to the treatment and copes with the side effects (I'm sure he will) and it keeps it away for as long as possible.

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 15 Aug 2024 at 10:09
Good luck Mrs MAS. Your recent posts have been quite heart-rending. Wishing you luck and strength and much more time together x
User
Posted 06 Sep 2024 at 07:18

It is widely accepted that Chemotherapy has a limited affect on hormonal cancer's, however I read up on some early research recently that showed combining "Bovine Lactoferrin" to Dox enhanced it's effectiveness. Plenty of articles online!

I wish I had known this when I had my course of Docetaxel 

Disclaimer: I am not medically trained nor am I recommending any course of treatment DYOR.

Edited by member 06 Sep 2024 at 07:27  | Reason: Not specified