Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Husband just diagnosed and we still want to go on cruise

User
Posted 26 Jul 2024 at 14:34

Hi

My Hubby has his first LHRH tomorrow. He’s not suffering affects of the cancer apart from left cheek pain while sitting due to bone cancer spread. He looks a picture of health.  He’s Gleason 8 4+4. 

the travel insurance company will exclude any condition connected to his advanced prostate cancer. At this stage we doubt anything will arise but we go on 15th Aug and his first LHRH is tomorrow. How did everyone feel at first? Our first thought is just accept the travel insurance minus prostate cover. Or we could try to get it covered. Just wondered what others did at this stage. 
thank you all. 

User
Posted 26 Jul 2024 at 18:45

It's rare to get any reaction to the LHRH injections, but not completely unheard of. Local injection site reactions are not uncommon, depending which one you have, but not a serious issue.

Has he been on Bicalutamide for a couple of weeks? This is required for the first Zoladex, Prostap, or Decapeptyl injection.  It isn't required for Degarelix injection.

Sometimes, the first injection is for 4 weeks or a month (and Degarelix is only available as a 4-weekly injection). So will the next injection be due while you're still away? Zoladex also comes as 12-weekly, Decapeptyl as 12-weekly and 24-weekly, and Prostap as 3-monthly.

Edited by member 26 Jul 2024 at 18:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Jul 2024 at 08:16

Hi 

When it comes to travel insurance it's a mine field and unfortunately it's down to the individual to weigh up the pros and cons,any insurance is only as good as when you come to claim.All you can be is crystal clear and transparent when telling your insurance company all medication/treatment you are on and any changes in your condition, because in the unlikely and rare occasions you may have to claim they may pull your medical records,sorry to be negative and down beat but I thats the way the world works nowadays.

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 27 Jul 2024 at 17:59

Thank you Andy sorry I’ve just seen your reply. Yes he’s been on Bicalutamide for a 5 weeks while waiting for his diagnosis. He’ll continue it for 7 days as instructed.  His jab was this morning next one scheduled for the day after we come back from the cruise. The nurse at the surgery was lovely and I have to say much more informative than the consultant urologist. I think we feel less worried about any side effects than we did previously. 

User
Posted 27 Jul 2024 at 18:02

Thank you Phil yes I gave them all the information and was prepared to try for full cover elsewhere but as hubby is very well I doubt there will be reason to claim on Prostate related issue. Obviously if I was advising anyone else I’d say don’t go without full cover but I don’t have to follow my own advice hehe. I may make a few phone calls anyway. Thank you for replying. 

Edited by member 27 Jul 2024 at 18:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Aug 2024 at 11:35

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Sometimes, the first injection is for 4 weeks or a month (and Degarelix is only available as a 4-weekly injection). So will the next injection be due while you're still away? Zoladex also comes as 12-weekly, Decapeptyl as 12-weekly and 24-weekly, and Prostap as 3-monthly.

I’m really sorry to butt in on this post but just wanted to double check with Andy that this is correct. My husband is on decapeptyl and been having it 6 monthly and not 24 weekly! We also delayed it for 1 week past the 6 months which they said was fine as only a week. No I’m worried we’re leaving too big a gap.

Thanks
Elaine

User
Posted 24 Aug 2024 at 11:40

Elaine

Decapeptyl is available as 1 month. 3 month or 6 month treatments depending upon patient/oncologists preferences.

As it is a 'slow release' drug, a delay of a few days won't have any impact on treatment success.

Steve

Edited by member 24 Aug 2024 at 11:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Aug 2024 at 11:47

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Elaine

Decapeptyl is available as 1 month. 3 month or 6 month treatments depending upon patient/oncologists preferences.

As it is a 'slow release' drug, a delay of a few days won't have any impact on treatment success.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve. 

I understand a few days wouldn’t matter too much, but the difference again next time between 24 weeks and 6 months will be 2 and a half weeks. I wasn’t sure if that would be too much if working on weeks rather than months. 

Elaine