Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rising after salvage radiotherapy

User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 16:59

Hi everybody.

I had salvage radiotherapy 12 months ago at the time my PSA was 0.05 a subsequent test in February this year it had dropped to 0.03. 

I was therefore slightly concerned that my test result this month has increased to 0.05. The CSA team at Charing Cross have scheduled the next test for 02/25.

Should I be concerned

User
Posted 22 Aug 2024 at 11:46
Prostate cancer is a sneaky bugger, even if you get "cured" it can come back 15 years later with or without PSA. Best thing to do is monitor and take action as necessary BUT in between try and forget you ever had it
User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 16:59

Hi everybody.

I had salvage radiotherapy 12 months ago at the time my PSA was 0.05 a subsequent test in February this year it had dropped to 0.03. 

I was therefore slightly concerned that my test result this month has increased to 0.05. The CSA team at Charing Cross have scheduled the next test for 02/25.

Should I be concerned

User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 21:30
Short answer - no.

I doubt the test is meaningful down to a difference of 0.01, there will be slight variability day to day in both your body and the test protocol which means there is some uncertainty. All your readings so far could be the same 0.04 +/- 0.01. Even if there is a further small rise in 6 months, it wouldn't be a sign to take immediate action.

For what it is worth, the hospital where I am a patient doesn't even record PSA levels less than 0.05 because they don't think that meaningful.
User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 22:11

I agree with J-B. One of my local hospitals only measure down to 0.05.

User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 22:15

At this stage too early to read anything into that as they can move up and down. Get a few more data points and if a trend emerges then might indicate an uptrend which ultimately will need review

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 21:30
Short answer - no.

I doubt the test is meaningful down to a difference of 0.01, there will be slight variability day to day in both your body and the test protocol which means there is some uncertainty. All your readings so far could be the same 0.04 +/- 0.01. Even if there is a further small rise in 6 months, it wouldn't be a sign to take immediate action.

For what it is worth, the hospital where I am a patient doesn't even record PSA levels less than 0.05 because they don't think that meaningful.
User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 22:11

I agree with J-B. One of my local hospitals only measure down to 0.05.

User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 22:15

At this stage too early to read anything into that as they can move up and down. Get a few more data points and if a trend emerges then might indicate an uptrend which ultimately will need review

User
Posted 22 Aug 2024 at 11:46
Prostate cancer is a sneaky bugger, even if you get "cured" it can come back 15 years later with or without PSA. Best thing to do is monitor and take action as necessary BUT in between try and forget you ever had it