I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Transferring to another NHS trust

User
Posted 24 Aug 2024 at 16:22

Has anyone had experience of transferring from one NHS trust to another?

I moved house 2 years ago and where I now live it’s covered by a different trust to the one where I was originally treated.

I have been travelling back to where I was treated to get blood tests done as they won’t do them here, if they were able to do so they can’t transfer the results between trusts or receive blood test requests as my present trust now only passes the blood test forms electronically to the local blood test department.   Oncology appointments are usually ok as they’re by telephone.

As I don’t have my own transport it’s becoming increasingly difficult, for example taxi fare is about £50 each way.

Therefore I’m thinking about transferring to the trust where I now live, for a start the blood test centre is only 10-15 minutes walk away.

Hope that’s clear.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

User
Posted 24 Aug 2024 at 22:06

Hello Arthur.

I had my RARP in one Trust and my GPs surgery is in a neighbouring Trust. On principle I thought it was unfair that I had to travel 45 mins to have my follow up PSA tests in the Trust that operated on me. When I could walk to my GPs for the same test.

On budgetary grounds my GP refused to pass my results onto the other Trust. So now I have the tests at my GPs then pass on the results to the other Trust myself.

It seems ridiculous that more consideration could not be given to make a cancer  patient's life a little easier.

Edited by member 24 Aug 2024 at 22:11  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 25 Aug 2024 at 09:24

I really can’t see why your new GP can’t facilitate you having your blood tests at your new trust (where you live) they have a duty of care to look after your health and your current condition requires you to have psa tests….as Adrian says, you can then pass on your results to your previous trust. That’s what we do, Steve’s op was in a neighbouring trust (as they had the da Vinci robot), he has his psa tests at our own GP’s (different trust) and we pass on the results to the operating trust as he remains under their care for now.

As patient of your current GP, he will receive the funding (per patient head) for your care so should be enabling what you need…but this is where the gray area is, when you are still with your old trust and they are still treating you, are they still claiming you as a patient and getting the money? You could always ask that question?

Edited by member 25 Aug 2024 at 09:30  | Reason: Added extra

User
Posted 25 Aug 2024 at 10:42

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

at least I can get the tests done here and be deadly with by a local oncology team.

Wherever you go Arthur, I'd avoid deadly tests. 😱

Predictive text can be so amusing. 😂

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Aug 2024 at 21:34
You should have a local GP and they should sort it all out. Mine did when I transferred from private back to NHS
User
Posted 24 Aug 2024 at 22:06

Hello Arthur.

I had my RARP in one Trust and my GPs surgery is in a neighbouring Trust. On principle I thought it was unfair that I had to travel 45 mins to have my follow up PSA tests in the Trust that operated on me. When I could walk to my GPs for the same test.

On budgetary grounds my GP refused to pass my results onto the other Trust. So now I have the tests at my GPs then pass on the results to the other Trust myself.

It seems ridiculous that more consideration could not be given to make a cancer  patient's life a little easier.

Edited by member 24 Aug 2024 at 22:11  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 25 Aug 2024 at 09:24

I really can’t see why your new GP can’t facilitate you having your blood tests at your new trust (where you live) they have a duty of care to look after your health and your current condition requires you to have psa tests….as Adrian says, you can then pass on your results to your previous trust. That’s what we do, Steve’s op was in a neighbouring trust (as they had the da Vinci robot), he has his psa tests at our own GP’s (different trust) and we pass on the results to the operating trust as he remains under their care for now.

As patient of your current GP, he will receive the funding (per patient head) for your care so should be enabling what you need…but this is where the gray area is, when you are still with your old trust and they are still treating you, are they still claiming you as a patient and getting the money? You could always ask that question?

Edited by member 25 Aug 2024 at 09:30  | Reason: Added extra

User
Posted 25 Aug 2024 at 10:11

Thanks for your replies, stupidly my local blood test centre cannot access the blood test requests and where I’m treated they only send then electronically to local centres and are unable to send them outside of that.

There’s no flexibility whatsoever.

For those reasons I’ve had enough of mucking about and what to transfer here, at least I can get the tests done here and be dealt with by a local oncology team.

I just need to know how I go about transferring. 

Crazy isn’t it when I’m still in the same county!

Edited by member 25 Aug 2024 at 17:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Aug 2024 at 10:42

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

at least I can get the tests done here and be deadly with by a local oncology team.

Wherever you go Arthur, I'd avoid deadly tests. 😱

Predictive text can be so amusing. 😂