I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chemo for advanced cancer

User
Posted 01 Sep 2024 at 18:33

My husband starts chemo tomorrow his first of 6 infusions. His blood test shows his PSA has reduced to .6 from 10.5 after one LHRH injection (decapeptyl) and bicalutimide tablets prior. Has anyone experience of decapeptyl? He’s very emotional on it and I wondered if we should try a different one or if they all have the effect?

His prostate cancer has spread to the Ilium 6cm and pubis bone 1.2cm. No lymph or soft tissue involvement.  Gleason 4+4. Diagnosed 25th July. The oncologist has reported good outcomes in men who have chemo when first diagnosed. 

We are hoping he tolerates the chemo tomorrow but we’re both very nervous about it. 

If anyone has had experience of this I’d be grateful to hear how you got on.

Thank you πŸ™ 

User
Posted 01 Sep 2024 at 23:31

Hello,

Great to hear that his PSA has fallen so much so quickly, that should hopefully provide some reassurance, and long may that continue. Just thought I'd chip in with a few reflections. 

The emotional side effects are most likely simply the result of the treatment, which is known as 'androgen deprivation therapy' (ADT) - the intention is to suppress testosterone to very low levels, which tends to create those emotional side effects. So unfortunately changing the type of ADT would be unlikely to change these particular effects, they're probably all going to have the same effect, though feel free to double check with your oncologist (after all, I'm not a doctor!). 

A number of clinical trials show that upfront chemo can be really beneficial for some men with advanced/metastatic prostate cancer. My father was diagnosed around a similar time last year (late July) and started chemo in early September. His scans from July last year showed a huge number of tumours all over his torso, but by February/March his PSA level was untraceable (<0.01) and his scans indicated a complete response with no tumours visible in his bones at all, and a very small number of cells remaining in his prostate. So his treatment was highly effective in his case. 

His PSA has started slowly creeping up since then (about 0.4 a month ago, which is still fine if it stays there, but worrying if it keeps rising), but certainly I think you can trust your oncologist's recommendation of chemo at this stage. Hope all goes well. 

User
Posted 02 Sep 2024 at 09:35

Hi

I finished 10 sessions of Docetaxel around 6 weeks ago,coped ok with side effects,QOL is pretty good at present blood test and scan results end of this month will see if it's worked then 

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 02 Sep 2024 at 08:55
Hi
Hope all ok

Alan is just at beginning of his journey and has only had one monthly Decaptyl so far with one month of Bicalutamide and he is very emotional and tires easily already. πŸ™ˆ
We are under the impression HT of any can cause these unwanted side effects ☹️ Don't think the stress of situation can help. He's due next injection on the 11 sep and this may be Prostap. We are grateful for NHS and 🀞 treatment works and QOL prevails eventually a few years down the line

All the best for today x
User

Sorry,  'Quality of Life' after treatment  hopefully 🀞

Thanks

Jackie x

User
Posted 02 Sep 2024 at 16:59

Hi

Got a couple of nasty colds,had chemo on a Wednesday was going to pub for a pint by Sunday,didn't go silly and go to crowded places tho.

Regards phil

User
Posted 22 Oct 2024 at 15:42
Holidays are the best medicine for me at the moment πŸ™
All the best to you 🀞

Jackie & Al
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Sep 2024 at 23:31

Hello,

Great to hear that his PSA has fallen so much so quickly, that should hopefully provide some reassurance, and long may that continue. Just thought I'd chip in with a few reflections. 

The emotional side effects are most likely simply the result of the treatment, which is known as 'androgen deprivation therapy' (ADT) - the intention is to suppress testosterone to very low levels, which tends to create those emotional side effects. So unfortunately changing the type of ADT would be unlikely to change these particular effects, they're probably all going to have the same effect, though feel free to double check with your oncologist (after all, I'm not a doctor!). 

A number of clinical trials show that upfront chemo can be really beneficial for some men with advanced/metastatic prostate cancer. My father was diagnosed around a similar time last year (late July) and started chemo in early September. His scans from July last year showed a huge number of tumours all over his torso, but by February/March his PSA level was untraceable (<0.01) and his scans indicated a complete response with no tumours visible in his bones at all, and a very small number of cells remaining in his prostate. So his treatment was highly effective in his case. 

His PSA has started slowly creeping up since then (about 0.4 a month ago, which is still fine if it stays there, but worrying if it keeps rising), but certainly I think you can trust your oncologist's recommendation of chemo at this stage. Hope all goes well. 

User
Posted 02 Sep 2024 at 07:22

Hello Magol

Thank you for replying and for your thoughts on the Hormone therapy that’s very helpful. 

That also sounds very reassuring that the chemo had such a positive effect for your Father. Did he cope ok with having the chemo? I’m keeping everything crossed that my husband copes well with it and it’s also positive for him. 

xx

User
Posted 02 Sep 2024 at 08:55
Hi
Hope all ok

Alan is just at beginning of his journey and has only had one monthly Decaptyl so far with one month of Bicalutamide and he is very emotional and tires easily already. πŸ™ˆ
We are under the impression HT of any can cause these unwanted side effects ☹️ Don't think the stress of situation can help. He's due next injection on the 11 sep and this may be Prostap. We are grateful for NHS and 🀞 treatment works and QOL prevails eventually a few years down the line

All the best for today x
User
Posted 02 Sep 2024 at 09:03

Thank you and sorry you are in a similar place as us. My hubby has just had his second injection.

What is QOL please?

thank you x

User

Sorry,  'Quality of Life' after treatment  hopefully 🀞

Thanks

Jackie x

User

Hi

I finished 10 sessions of Docetaxel around 6 weeks ago,coped ok with side effects,QOL is pretty good at present blood test and scan results end of this month will see if it's worked then 

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 02 Sep 2024 at 10:34

Thank you Phil that’s reassuring I hope it’s worked for you 🀞

User
Posted 02 Sep 2024 at 10:37

Sadly my hubbys dad fell the other day and in hospital did you get out without infection during your chemo Phil? We know we have to be careful but just wondered how you found that aspect. Thank you ☺️ 

User
Posted 02 Sep 2024 at 16:59

Hi

Got a couple of nasty colds,had chemo on a Wednesday was going to pub for a pint by Sunday,didn't go silly and go to crowded places tho.

Regards phil

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 20:56

Hi all

just a quick update. My husband is halfway through his chemo. His Psa went from 10.5 down to 0.6 on the monthly hormone injections prior to chemo. After one week of chemo 0.3 and after second it is now 0.2 we will know next week if it has gone down further. 

he’s understandably tired as doesn’t sleep well wakes every 2 hours has hot flushes stabbing pain at times. He gets out for a walk daily. We get away monthly which is really helping and his friends are rallying around him. Still very emotional we assume hormones causing this. Can’t get holistic help until completion of chemo. Can’t wait to book holidays for next year but will have to wait until CT scan done after completion of chemo. 

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 22:08

Thanks for the update, it’s good to know he’s getting through it.
I’ve  found too on  this journey just getting away from it all is the one thing that’s helped me get through it…I just love my holidays!

all the best for the remainder of treatment.

Derek

User
Posted 22 Oct 2024 at 10:34

Thank you Derek yes it’s a highlight for us of the 3 week cycle. I hope you are doing well and thank you for replying. 

User
Posted 22 Oct 2024 at 15:42
Holidays are the best medicine for me at the moment πŸ™
All the best to you 🀞

Jackie & Al
User
Posted 22 Oct 2024 at 16:05

Thank you all the best to you both too 🀞