I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Criteria for PSMA scan

User
Posted 08 Oct 2024 at 10:34

My husband's PSA is now 0.2 . He's 4yr post RALP and almost 4yr post adjuvant RT. 

He has an appointment with oncologist in December and was told they'd arrange a PET scan prior to that.

Today he's had a phone call from hospital saying that as he's not for surgery or RT he doesn't meet criteria for PSMA so it will be an MRI. The CNS said the oncologist said he needs to go along with that.

Any suggestions please as I know this isn't correct.

Thanks 

User
Posted 09 Oct 2024 at 03:33
There seems to be a bit of flexibility regarding PSA criteria for a PSMA scan depending on an individual's circumstances and which hospital you attend. The higher the PSA and more dense the cancer cells, the greater the chance of these showing up on a PSMA scan. It is possible that cancer cells might show up with a PSA of 0.2 but with a low chance of this a hospital may well want to wait for the PSA to rise a little. With the 68 Gallium PSMA scan it was suggested to me that I have this scan when my PSA reached 0.70 (and this came from the people in Germany who formulated the scan) but improvement over time means a PSA of 0.50 could be a point to have this expensive scan. It does not necessarily mean that because no cancer cells can be seen that none are there. There could be some that are not sufficiently concentrated to be seen. Meanwhile, an MRI might be considered as being appropriate.
Barry
User
Posted 09 Oct 2024 at 07:12

Lexi, perhaps worth a call to the nurses on this site, they may have contacts who can answer the question. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 09 Oct 2024 at 07:51

Hello Lexi,

It's important to note you are in Scotland, because the prostate cancer treatments are different in England, Scotland, and Wales, with health being devolved. (Wales usually copies what NICE does, but Scotland has the Scottish Medicines Commission which is completely different.)

Edited by member 09 Oct 2024 at 07:55  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Oct 2024 at 03:33
There seems to be a bit of flexibility regarding PSA criteria for a PSMA scan depending on an individual's circumstances and which hospital you attend. The higher the PSA and more dense the cancer cells, the greater the chance of these showing up on a PSMA scan. It is possible that cancer cells might show up with a PSA of 0.2 but with a low chance of this a hospital may well want to wait for the PSA to rise a little. With the 68 Gallium PSMA scan it was suggested to me that I have this scan when my PSA reached 0.70 (and this came from the people in Germany who formulated the scan) but improvement over time means a PSA of 0.50 could be a point to have this expensive scan. It does not necessarily mean that because no cancer cells can be seen that none are there. There could be some that are not sufficiently concentrated to be seen. Meanwhile, an MRI might be considered as being appropriate.
Barry
User
Posted 09 Oct 2024 at 07:12

Lexi, perhaps worth a call to the nurses on this site, they may have contacts who can answer the question. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 09 Oct 2024 at 07:51

Hello Lexi,

It's important to note you are in Scotland, because the prostate cancer treatments are different in England, Scotland, and Wales, with health being devolved. (Wales usually copies what NICE does, but Scotland has the Scottish Medicines Commission which is completely different.)

Edited by member 09 Oct 2024 at 07:55  | Reason: Not specified